Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Were A 6-3 Team On A 4 Game Win Streak....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    8-8 with five of those losses by 3 points is about as good as a coach can do in those circumstances. The coach puts his players in position to win. In five of those losses, the Steelers were in position to win.
    Agreed. Tomlin did a good job this year. A coach can do great work just to get a team to .500.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin has to share the blame with his players in many of the losses this season. In too many games, the players weren't prepared to play. The HC has to assume some of that responsibility. Over and over again, we saw the team fall short because too many players were unfocused and undisciplined. Isn't part of the HC's job is to see to it that they are focused and disciplined? And how about the number of inexplicable decisions Tomlin made? Don't get me wrong, I like MT, but I think this was a poor season for him. I still think he's a good coach, but "the standard is the standard," and in the NFL, he'd better be meeting it again rather quickly, or it may be "next man up."

Rookie

User Info Menu

Tomlin never made any decisions that cost the Steelers games...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea, stop grinding your tomlin ax.
    Without several top plays we were doing well at 6-3.
    Then we lost Ben and more OL.
    The D was OK, but the O couldn't do much.

Obviously Ben was hurting. I'd have left him out of the Browns game and maybe secure a better pick.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not sure who to blame OTHER than Tomlin for coming out flat against the Chargers. That one still bugs me...

That being said, every team does that occasionally.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    I'm not sure who to blame OTHER than Tomlin for coming out flat against the Chargers. That one still bugs me...

That being said, every team does that occasionally.
    The Steeler definition of "occasionally" was "too often" this year, I think. The '70's dynasty would come out flat and disinterested, but more occasionally than this year's version of the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    The Steeler definition of "occasionally" was "too often" this year, I think. The '70's dynasty would come out flat and disinterested, but more occasionally than this year's version of the Steelers.
    $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones
    Yea, stop grinding your tomlin ax.
    No Tomlin ax here. Just my own observations, and my opinion that overall, his performance as a head coach was not too good this season. Hey, I hope he turns things around and wins another Super Bowl as the Steelers' coach. Over his career in Pittsburgh, he's been quite good...I rate him as a better HC than Cowher.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Tomlin never made any decisions that cost the Steelers games...
    I didn't say he did. But he did make some head-scratching decisions that sure didn't help them in some very winnable games.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 12-31-2012 at 08:10 PM.