Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McClendon is a BEAST except.......

Legend

User Info Menu

was there even a Ta'amu sighting today?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    was there even a Ta'amu sighting today?
    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/39605-Ta-amu-inactive[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Ta'amu is a first time offender, there is no reason why he can't get the Jamal Lewis slap on the wrist...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    McClendon and Ziggy are both better suited to play a traditional 4-3 DT. You could use these guys on the nose, but they're not going to play it like Casey does.

Fangupo is the guy built to play NT like Casey. Will be interesting to see what our plans our for the kid going into next season. I hope we give him a chance.
    why go to defense that best fits your players when you can just do the same thing every year
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Here Cap I will fix this: He is a beast at rushing the passer. I would try him at DE some to see what happens next preseason. Need to keep a nice rotation of Mc-Clean, NT( Fang & Ta'amu),Hood,Heyward, and The Beard for one more year. Keisel played very well for an "old" guy this season.
    Much Better!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    why go to defense that best fits your players when you can just do the same thing every year
    Probably because it works....

Legend

User Info Menu

There is no genuine NT option on this roster behind Casey that has shown any possibility of being 'The Guy' to plug the middle of the 3-4 next season. As said in this post, McLendon is pretty good getting after the QB, which is great, but he doesn't absorb multiple blockers, freeing up the ILB's, or the DE's as is the role of the Steelers NT. For Chadman, McLendon is Chris Hoke- the guy you rotate in every now & then. We need a stud, and the 2 best options in Ta'amu & Fangupo are nowhere near sure things.

Either draft a better option, or re-sign Hampton & hope for the best.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    There is no genuine NT option on this roster behind Casey that has shown any possibility of being 'The Guy' to plug the middle of the 3-4 next season. As said in this post, McLendon is pretty good getting after the QB, which is great, but he doesn't absorb multiple blockers, freeing up the ILB's, or the DE's as is the role of the Steelers NT. For Chadman, McLendon is Chris Hoke- the guy you rotate in every now & then. We need a stud, and the 2 best options in Ta'amu & Fangupo are nowhere near sure things.

Either draft a better option, or re-sign Hampton & hope for the best.
    Chadman--the NT is NOT the issue. The issue is we don't have the OLBs who can get to the QB anymore. Harrison is a shadow of himself and who knows what Woodley's issue is. The OLBs make or break Lebeau's defense and without them consistently getting to the QB the defense won't get results.

Look at the current roster and compare the talent and depth between the Defensive Line and the Linebackers. Right now we are much deeper and have more talent on the DL. We need to play to that strength and move to a defense that doesn't require the unique skills sets LeBeau's 3-4 requires. Also, we need a defense that is easier to replenish the talent and get them on the field sooner because they do a natural transistion into the NFL in a position they have always played and not into a two year apprenticeship program.

Drafting a NT won't fix this defense because this is a LB centric defense that needs multiple stars at the LB position and the only one we have is Timmons. Just look at the roster (consider the potential off season loss of Foote and Harrison) and tell me if we think we could put a better four man defensive line on the field or four linebackers. Then look at the potential back ups and the defensive line woulkd win hands down.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-31-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Probably because it works....
    Exactly.

In what universe was the defense the problem this year? Did Casey Hampton throw a pick six to lose a game or late key interceptions? Did Keisel fumble eight times?

The Steelers lost 2 home games in which the opposition did not score an offensive touchdown. This is the first time in 20 years that the offense failed to exceed 30 points twice in a season.

The problem was not Casey Hampton or Brett Keisel. The problem was the offense.

But by all means, lets complain about a defensive system that continues to work and scrap it for a system that features Ziggy friggin Hood, Cam Heyward and Steve McClendon. That team would be a blast to watch, well, at least if you were rooting for the opposition.