Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers signing Priority's

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers signing Priority's

We all know the Steelers can't sign everyone they would like to based on the cap, and in many instances some will have to take a salary cut to stay while others will be gone.

IMHO, I think and hope the Steelers sign Max Starks and Keenan Lewis. These two players are vital to the success of our team and it's hard to replace those positions.
    Gilbert has yet to play LT and I wouldn't chance letting Starks go and giving Gilbert the position. Now I believe Gilbert did play LT in college not sure but still the NFL is a different animal. When he played RT he was average. Adams has a good shot of beating the competition out at RT, while he had a rough start in the games he played he settled down and started to play well until the injuries.

Keenan Lewis is just starting to come into his own, the Steelers invested time in the developement of Keenan and it would be a shame to let him walk. It's a tough task to know the LeBeau defense, even the great Troy Polamaula had a difficult time absorbing the defense when he came in.

Personally, I think these two players are priority's. For one they produced this season especially Max, he was consistent all season, and Keenan came on in the middle of the season. Injuries hurt him some, he wasn't really a 100% out there at the end but still held his own.
    Some of the older guys like Larry Foote may accept a pay cut to stay, I'm not sure Hampton would so he could be gone. Wallace probably won't be here but Mendenhall still might have a shot if he accepts a reasonable contract.

I hate to say this but one of the favorite steelers in the Burgh is the beard who may not be here. He played well this season but his salary is an issue. If he accepts a pay cut he also could stay. Problem is even with pay cuts the Steelers have cap issues so in all likely hood some popular Steelers may be gone, just keep Max and Keenan!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hampton should be cut imo. Time to get some cap room and youth in that position. They drafted Alameda for a reason, we'll see how the vehicular thing plays out.

Wallace is a goner too I think. He stated he has big plans for him and his family this offseason which makes me think he is looking for a big payday. I just don't think the Steelers can pay the price whether or not they want to sign him.

Mendenhall and the Steelers can both benefit from a change of scenery. Even being the most talented on the roster, I think he is looking for more and it just doesn't seem to work for him here, chemistry wise.

Keep Lewis and Starks for sure, they have done great this year.

I disagree with you on Keisel. I think they jump thru restructuring hoops to keep him if that's what it takes. He doesn't want to leave either. He's a lifer. And I'm glad too. They would cut Foote before Keisel if it came to that imo.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I disagree with you on Keisel. I think they jump thru restructuring hoops to keep him if that's what it takes. He doesn't want to leave either. He's a lifer. And I'm glad too. They would cut Foote before Keisel if it came to that imo.

If you re-read my post I said, " If he accepts a pay cut he could stay". Restructure or whatever they won't pay him his existing salary. Although I do believe they will work something out on both sides and he stays. For one, we don't have any dominate DE's, he was the most consistent out of our De's, so until we get a dominate pass rusher from that position he likely will stay....with an adjustment in salary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis
    Hampton
    Foote
    Starks
    Sanders

I'm assuming Wally and Mendy want to leave. I'd try to get both of them as cheap as possible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis is the obvious one. He could very well be the best CB on the roster right now, not just going forward. That said, if a big payday comes to him from elsewhere, Cortez Allen looked good too.

Chadman is already counting Wallace & Mendenhall as gone.

Sanders... yeah, should keep him, but only if the contract is in the Steelers favour. By signing Brown, the Steelers removed the 'need' for the possession reciever, so Sanders is no longer a must-sign.

Starks would be #2 on the list. But again, if they can't afford him, the Steelers have prepared for this time by drafting Gilbert & Adams. There will be growing pains, but that's the reality of the 'changing of the guard' as it is.

No doubt they'll tender all the RFA's. Doubt they'll lose anyone there.

Hampton will likely move on. He's been an outstanding Steeler, and it'll be hard to watch him go. His loss might prove the most telling next season because, in Chadman's opinion, the Steelers are not ready for him to leave.

Mendenhall will be run out of town by the angry anti-tweeters. Then we'll have a stable of average RB's with no gamebreaking ability. Should be great.

The Steelers will lose Harrison before they lose Keisel. Harrison is older, and 3 times as expensive next season. How much will it hurt to see both Hampton & Harrison playing elsewhere next season?

That sais, Chadman thinks Worilds will be just fine stepping in at OLB.

Looks like Tomlin & Colbert will need to pull a few rabbits out of a few hats.

As Chadman mentioned in another thread- 2 guys he WOULD keep that are FA's are Charlie Batch & Plaxico Burress. Batch can hold the #2 spot in place of Leftwich for half the cost & be equally as effective. The Steelers need a young #3 QB. How much is saved by losing Lefty?

Burress gives the Steelers something they don't have once Wallace moves on- a red zone threat. Unless the Steelers can pick one up in FA or the draft, Burress should be asked to stay for around the vet minimum.

One position that needs to be addressed before the start of next season is TE. If Heath is out for any significant portion of next season- who starts in his place?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Chadman,
    You made a valid statement regarding the TE, thats why I believe the Steelers will draft one. Heath has a long recovery to get back to playing, and in the meantime he is getting up in the age.
    I think Johnson will take his place until he heals, I'm talking about the one that was on injured reserve. Heath will be missed if he can't start the regular season, by far he was the constant on that offense this year.

Man, we have a boatload of issues to get ironed out, fans will have to be patient until the Steelers build a championship team and it won't happen overnight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    We all know the Steelers can't sign everyone they would like to based on the cap, and in many instances some will have to take a salary cut to stay while others will be gone.

IMHO, I think and hope the Steelers sign Max Starks and Keenan Lewis. These two players are vital to the success of our team and it's hard to replace those positions.
    Gilbert has yet to play LT and I wouldn't chance letting Starks go and giving Gilbert the position. Now I believe Gilbert did play LT in college not sure but still the NFL is a different animal. When he played RT he was average. Adams has a good shot of beating the competition out at RT, while he had a rough start in the games he played he settled down and started to play well until the injuries.

Keenan Lewis is just starting to come into his own, the Steelers invested time in the developement of Keenan and it would be a shame to let him walk. It's a tough task to know the LeBeau defense, even the great Troy Polamaula had a difficult time absorbing the defense when he came in.

Personally, I think these two players are priority's. For one they produced this season especially Max, he was consistent all season, and Keenan came on in the middle of the season. Injuries hurt him some, he wasn't really a 100% out there at the end but still held his own.
    Some of the older guys like Larry Foote may accept a pay cut to stay, I'm not sure Hampton would so he could be gone. Wallace probably won't be here but Mendenhall still might have a shot if he accepts a reasonable contract.

I hate to say this but one of the favorite steelers in the Burgh is the beard who may not be here. He played well this season but his salary is an issue. If he accepts a pay cut he also could stay. Problem is even with pay cuts the Steelers have cap issues so in all likely hood some popular Steelers may be gone, just keep Max and Keenan!
    I couldn't agree more about Keenan Lewis. No way can we leave him walk. I would also like to see Max Starks return.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    As Chadman mentioned in another thread- 2 guys he WOULD keep that are FA's are Charlie Batch & Plaxico Burress. Batch can hold the #2 spot in place of Leftwich for half the cost & be equally as effective. The Steelers need a young #3 QB. How much is saved by losing Lefty?

Burress gives the Steelers something they don't have once Wallace moves on- a red zone threat. Unless the Steelers can pick one up in FA or the draft, Burress should be asked to stay for around the vet minimum.
    I'd try to bring back Plax and Chuck too. If we roll with Brown, Sanders, Cotch, and Plax as our top 4 WRs, we're good to go. Plus Ben needs a big target without Heath. I think Plax can play and we just didn't give him enough of a chance.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Charlie comes back, Lefty needs to go. We have to start grooming a legitimate #2. Any thoughts on bringing in Matt Cassell? He knows Haley's system. Would be a back-up to Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    If Charlie comes back, Lefty needs to go. We have to start grooming a legitimate #2. Any thoughts on bringing in Matt Cassell? He knows Haley's system. Would be a back-up to Ben.
    How about a mid-round QB draft pick like Zac Dysert from Miami (OH)? He is second in all their record books to a guy named Ben Roethlisberger.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"