Thread: Severl longtime Steelers ponder if they're playing final game for team

Legend

User Info Menu

Severl longtime Steelers ponder if they're playing final game for team

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/12/28/several-longtime-steelers-ponder-if-theyre-playing-final-game-for-team/[/url]

Several longtime Steeler ponder if they're playing final game for team
    Published December 28, 2012Associated Press

PITTSBURGH – For the first time since he was taken in the third round in the 2009 draft, Mike Wallace will miss a regular-season game for the Steelers.

It might well be the first of many games Pittsburgh plays without the speedster receiver going forward.

An injury in his left hip and hamstring area will prevent Wallace from playing in the Steelers' season finale Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. He will be an unrestricted free agent, leaving his status with the team for beyond this season in question.

Wallace isn't the only veteran who might have attended his final practice as a Steelers player Friday. On the heels of a non-winning season and with salary-cap issues upcoming, Pittsburgh (7- has some decisions to make on several longtime stalwarts who have been tenured contributors to championship teams.

Wallace, Casey Hampton, Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, James Harrison, Larry Foote and Charlie Batch have a combined 59 years of service for the Steelers, 12 starts in Super Bowls for the team and 11 championship rings.

There is reason to believe the game against Cleveland (5-10) will be the final one for many in that group as part of the organization.

"I don't know who's going to be out the door or who's going to be re-signed, but it's always a business first," Foote said. "From a selfish standpoint on defense, we were No. 1 in the league — so bring us all back, keep us all. But I never know what's their plans and (general manager) Kevin Colbert can run a team better than I can."

Starks, who will start his 96th game at tackle for the Steelers on Sunday, and Hampton, the team's nose tackle for the past 12 seasons, both hinted this week they could envision playing elsewhere.

The Stealers' most recent two second-round draft picks — and rookies of the year — are tackles. That doesn't bode well for Starks, who rebounded from injury each of the past two years to become a reliable starter for the Steelers by the time the season ended.

"I think the writing's on the wall, so to speak," Starks said. "I had a great run — nine years here. I've gotten to be a part of three Super Bowl teams and got a chance to grasp two of those Lombardis, so it's an excellent career. If I have to move on, this will always be home for me."

Hines Ward wept at his retirement press conference in March when he said he couldn't envision himself in another uniform. The gregarious Hampton chuckled this week at that notion — maintaining that he'd while he'd like to stay a Steeler, he'd play elsewhere if he had to.

A 35-year-old pending free agent, there's no guarantee the team will make a strong effort to keep Hampton.

Like Hampton and Starks, Foote said on Friday that he doesn't want to be a backup. But unlike Starks and Hampton, Foote can attest to the grass not always being greener.

Foote asked out of Pittsburgh following the 2009 Super Bowl victory because he knew Lawrence Timmons was primed to take his starting right inside linebacker's job. Foote signed with his hometown Detroit Lions, who were coming off an 0-16 season.

A year later, the Lions cut him — and Foote was given a three-year deal from the Steelers. He gradually re-earned a starting job back for this season.

Foote is coming off a solid season in which he led the team in tackles. Also, the player presumably drafted this past April to replace him, Sean Spence, missed the season due to a knee injury.

"Hopefully I'm back, but you've got to approach it that way," Foote said. "Especially being long in the tooth as you say, all the older guys. That's just the nature of the game."

At 34, Harrison is an even older member of the Steelers' linebackers corps. Harrison had back and knee injuries that slowed him early this season, and he has only five sacks.

A former NFL defensive player of the year, Harrison has a projected salary-cap hit of more than $10 million next season. It's unlikely the Steelers would keep him at that number.

"Right now, I'm looking forward to finishing out, playing this game against the Browns and after that's done I'll get things together as far as looking forward to next year," Harrison said.

Mendenhall was similarly evasive when asked about his future on Friday. The former first-round pick has only 163 yards rushing in five games this season because of injury, deactivation and suspension. A pending unrestricted free agent, he is seemingly destined to be on his way out.

At 38, Batch is the NFL's oldest non-kicker, and the Steelers could elect to add some youth to the quarterback position.

It won't be age that keeps the Steelers from bringing Wallace back. Failure to come to an agreement on a new contract might, though.

Wallace held out through the entirety of Steelers' training camp in Latrobe, Pa., this summer before signing a one-year tender as a restricted free agent. He finished the year with fewer catches and receiving yards than he had in each of the previous two seasons and with a 13.1 yards-per-reception that is well below his career average.

"This year obviously didn't go exactly how I wanted it to go, but I'm happy with the start to my career and I feel like I'm on the right path to do some great things," Wallace said.

But will they take place in black-and-gold? Wallace paused when asked if he'd consider re-signing with Pittsburgh.

"I don't know. We'll see," he said. "But I've got big plans. No matter what the situation is I've definitely got big plans for myself and my family."

Like several other Steelers after a rare non-winning season, those plans just might not include Pittsburgh.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wallace does not care about superbowls/winning. He wants $$$$$$$$$!!
    His quote I think proves this: "But I've got big plans. No matter what the situation is I've definitely got big plans for myself and my family."

Big plans mean big money. Will be interesting to see the deal he gets.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The OL, mess that it has been and is, could be much worse without Max.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wallace - Gone

Hampton - Probably gone...not sure we have a suitable replacement, but gone none the less...Although I do like McLendon, I am not sure he has the size to play NT for 3 downs.

Mendenhall - Most talented RB on the team but most appears to have attitude issues. He wiill be gone unless he signs a very Steeler favorable deal.

Starks - This one is interesting. I thought he had a solid season, however PFF has him rated 8th worst in the NFL at pass protection. I just don't think our rookies are ready especially playing the blind side tackle position. Quite honestly, I am not even sure I want to see Gilbert back on the field at all...

Harrison - I am a big Harrison fan and felt he was rounding back into playing shape as the season progressed. His health is one of the biggest reasons the defense was lacking in splash plays and turn overs. Our turn-over numbers have been less than stellar over the last two years and during that time both of our OL linebackers missed significant playing time...I am hoping he renegotiates his contract and comes back for another year or two (assuming he is healthy). IMO we will draft his replacement this year, because I don't believe we have the necessary depth/talent to replace him on the current roster.

Foote - This one is also difficult. Foote led the team in tackles this year. Although he has deficiencies, he had a very solid season. We also have questions regarding who will replace him. We will probably draft his replacement this year as well...

Batch - Charlie is definitely on the downside of his career. I would like to see the Steelers find a young QB that can learn the system and win the #2 job. I would like to keep Charlie around in the #3 spot to help coach the young QB for another year.

Whatever happens with the players mentioned in the article, there are sure to be big changes for the Steelers in the offseason....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Of that group, I only care if Harrison and Starks stay. The rest can go, no problem. Maybe keep Foote for 1 more year. Harrison did not earn his $ this year but he was hurt; he has started to look like his old self down the stretch. You cannot replace a player of that caliber. Mendenhall and Wallace are key components of a team with chemistry problems. They are not team guys and their subtraction will actually be additions. Chemistry means everything. If you don't have a unified locker room, you can not win much of anything, as we saw this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I, too, wonder if I would want Gilbert on the field at all. Out of shape, out of proportion, off balance, slow, clumsy man who did alot of damage this year to others and to self. We drafted him on Pouncey's high recommendation. Marquis best light an eternal flame under his lazy bottom. Gilbert has alot to do with why Max may be needed to stay put.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I, too, wonder if I would want Gilbert on the field at all. Out of shape, out of proportion, off balance, slow, clumsy man who did alot of damage this year to others and to self. We drafted him on Pouncey's high recommendation. Marquis best light an eternal flame under his lazy bottom. Gilbert has alot to do with why Max may be needed to stay put.
    I don't understand; wasn't Gilbert Grape decent as a rookie? And then what happened? He regressed? I was really hoping between he and Adams that we had out OTs for the next decade or so. You really expect 2nd round picks to stick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't understand; wasn't Gilbert Grape decent as a rookie? And then what happened? He regressed? I was really hoping between he and Adams that we had out OTs for the next decade or so. You really expect 2nd round picks to stick.
    He fell into DeCastro's knee, and someone else too I can't recall right now. At his best, he is probably a slightly above average player. I am on record already, on how I feel about Adams (a certain bust). People are talking about Harrison, and yes he did slightly improve. But he is a shell of himself. He is a back-up caliber player at this point, but you can't subject a player of his status to back-up level. The key with him is he has lost speed. If you watch and focus on him, he is a tank out there. He can still wreck you; but you have to not see him. Anyone (with eyes) out there, can simply juke him because of his lack of speed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert and Adams are the future OT's, so you better get used to it. If not mistaken, Gilbert did have a pretty good rookie season..... He'll be fine, and so will Adams...I'd still move Gilbert to LT and Adams at RT. Re-sign Foster as some backup. Colon may stay based on his salary cap. Might cost too much to let him go.

We have greater concerns elsewhere besides the OL.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion