Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Your thoughts on Woodley please?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,994

    Your thoughts on Woodley please?

    LaMarr Woodley
    8/5/2011: Signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal contains $22.5 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus, first-year "option" bonus of $4.4 million, and Woodley's first-year base salary.
    2012: $700,000 (+ $8.2 million "signing" bonus),
    2013: $9 million,
    2014: $8 million,
    2015: $8.5 million,
    2016: $9 million,
    2017: Free Agent

    4 Sacks
    1 INT
    1 Forced Fumble
    1 Fumble Recovery

    Lot of $$$ due to Mr. Woodley this upcoming year
    2nd year in a row he has dealt with injuries and the $$$ he will be due just isnt worth the stats.
    Is this a sign of the times for him?
    Anyone think the Steelers ask him to take a paycut?
    Lets face it, if the Steelers cant get any pressure on the other side then Woodley is pretty much screwed.
    With the chance that Harrison won't be back and Worilds proven hes better on the right, what do you see happening?
    Discuss
    Last edited by pittpete; 12-28-2012 at 04:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    LaMarr Woodley
    8/5/2011: Signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal contains $22.5 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus, first-year "option" bonus of $4.4 million, and Woodley's first-year base salary.
    2012: $700,000 (+ $8.2 million "signing" bonus),
    2013: $9 million,
    2014: $8 million,
    2015: $8.5 million,
    2016: $9 million,
    2017: Free Agent

    4 Sacks
    1 INT
    1 Forced Fumble
    1 Fumble Recovery

    Lot of $$$ due to Mr. Woodley this upcoming year
    2nd year in a row he has dealt with injuries and the $$$ he will be due just isnt worth the stas.
    Is this a sign of the times for him?
    Anyone think the Steelers ask him to take a paycut?
    Lets face it, if the Steelers cant get any pressure on the other side then Woodley is pretty much screwed.
    With the chance that Harrison won't be back and Worilds proven hes better on the right, what do you see happening?
    Discuss
    It just all depends on what the front office thinks. If James Harrison agrees to be cut and re-sign at a very low contract. Maybe they look at cutting Gildon-Woodley.

    However, I think perhaps this is the year Woodley gets serious about his conditioning as he needs to be and comes back with a 15 sack season.

    I am hoping that Harrison gets cut and comes back at a very reasonable contract. Woodley/Harrison/Worilds is better than no Harrison.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    It just all depends on what the front office thinks. If James Harrison agrees to be cut and re-sign at a very low contract. Maybe they look at cutting Gildon-Woodley.

    However, I think perhaps this is the year Woodley gets serious about his conditioning as he needs to be and comes back with a 15 sack season.

    I am hoping that Harrison gets cut and comes back at a very reasonable contract. Woodley/Harrison/Worilds is better than no Harrison.
    Harrison was rounding into his old self lately, as opposed to Woodley, who has done jack crap this season, whether he is playing or not. I think James will be ready to rock next year. And a healthy Harrison is as good as ANY LB in the NFL. He just is outstanding.

  4. #4
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,813
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Harrison was rounding into his old self lately, as opposed to Woodley, who has done jack crap this season, whether he is playing or not. I think James will be ready to rock next year. And a healthy Harrison is as good as ANY LB in the NFL. He just is outstanding.
    I agree with this assessment 100%. You can tell Harrison was really on a roll, because he was being held a lot again, because he was able to get low and attain leverage and drive under the tackles. When he was injured and recovering he wasn't able to get under the tackles and drive, they were pushing him aside with ease, not so much the last 4 or games or so. I'm looking forward to having James around for two more years.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,994
    However, I think perhaps this is the year Woodley gets serious about his conditioning as he needs to be and comes back with a 15 sack season.
    That would be so kind of Gildley after signing that huge contract.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    I honestly am leaning towards cutting him. He isn't putting in enough effort to justify his contract. He comes in way too fat and out of shape to be making $9 million next year. And he is a hamstring injury waiting to happen every year these days. Also, dumping him would send a much-needed message to this team: We won't tolerate lack of effort, whether that be on the field, or getting ready to play (conditioning, weight control). Now, if they were willing to try a 4-3 using him as a DE, I might be willing to give that a try. But as is, he misses too much playing time, partly because he is simply too fat, and when he does play, he no longer produces. Since when do you pay $9 million for that? If they allow it, they are morons.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,994
    Maybe let him gain 10 more lbs. and switch to a 4-3 defense

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Maybe let him gain 10 more lbs. and switch to a 4-3 defense
    I am open to that. But to bring him back as an OLB in a 3-4 at $9 mill? No way.

  9. #9
    I think Woodley and Troy are in similar situations. They each need to reevaluate how they're preparing for the season. Troy should be done training with Marinovich. As for Woodley, if you've been plagued by hamstring injuries, make it your job in the offseason to investigate every feasible solution for getting your hamstrings to hold up over a 16 game schedule. Whatever it takes, that's what you do. You got your money, now put in the work needed to justify it. Find the best physical conditioning program you can and immerse yourself in it. I don't think either one of these guys has done enough to help themselves with injuries. I understand injuries often just happen, but you have to do everything you can to prevent them. If you know your hammies are giving out on you, find out why. If your calf is becoming a problem area, find out why. Try and fix things because what you're doing now isn't working.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    I think Woodley and Troy are in similar situations. They each need to reevaluate how they're preparing for the season. Troy should be done training with Marinovich.
    Troy didn't work out with Marinovich this offseason. He trained in Pittsburgh. Perhaps he should train with Ike. Taylor is always in top shape.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •