Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace out vs the Browns

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There have been many #1 WRs with far less speed than Brown and Sanders. They have plenty of speed to open up the field with or without Wally.

All 3 of these guys get a bit of a bad rap in all of this. Wally held out and we hold that against him. Brown got his contract and we hold that against him. And Sanders hasn't outproduced either and we hold that against him. It's an impossible standard.

In retrospect, WRs are a dime a dozen. Too bad we didn't give Brown's money to Keenan Lewis? And I think we might be better served giving Wally and/or Manny's money to Cortez eventually.

At the end of the day, Ben can make due with Cotch, Plax, and Paulson to start next season and we can probably outproduce this year's scoring.
    you could very well be right.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    But there's the thing- now the Steelers need to use a high draft pick to replace him. If they lost Brown, a guy on the roster could do what he does.

Which other position do we not draft in order to now replace Wallace?

For the record, Chadman prefers Da'Rick Rogers out of Tenn.
    rogers had to leave Tenn and transfer to TN tech, chadman.

while I like his skillset, he has a lot of character concerns. Had several issues at Tennessee before they finally cut him loose.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    rogers had to leave Tenn and transfer to TN tech, chadman.

while I like his skillset, he has a lot of character concerns. Had several issues at Tennessee before they finally cut him loose.
    Well, there's my Australianism kicking in....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I actually think he may wind up being more productive than the other TN receivers hunter and patterson, if he can get his head on straight.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Only superbowl with Wallace we lost. Superbowl before that we won with a 1st rd WR. I like Wallace. I liked Santonio. I liked Burress. All have/will be replaced just fine.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not going to burn any bread on Mike Wallace because he wasn't alone in the underachieving department. The only two players on offense that were consistent were Heath Miller and Max Starks.
    The Steelers have cap issues, and we're going to see some familiar faces either play for another team or take a salary adjustment. We can't keep everyone anyway so those of you who think we'll be better off without Mike and Mendy you'll get your wish most likely.

Mike usually gets double coverage, so that tells me other receivers should have better numbers but they don't. If the Steelers could do it, I would try and sign both of them but it appears that won't happen. So whats the alternative? If Mike leaves I'm not so sure our receivers will be as good, they all had a down year but Mike was the only one seeing double coverage in most instances.

If we want to get better offensively it starts on that line. If you have a real good O-line everything falls into place, the run game improves, the pass blocking improves and the QB is better suited to make plays. IMHO if we want to see this offense get better we need a great offensive line first and foremost before we draft another receiver.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I'm not going to burn any bread on Mike Wallace because he wasn't alone in the underachieving department. The only two players on offense that were consistent were Heath Miller and Max Starks.
    The Steelers have cap issues, and we're going to see some familiar faces either play for another team or take a salary adjustment. We can't keep everyone anyway so those of you who think we'll be better off without Mike and Mendy you'll get your wish most likely.

Mike usually gets double coverage, so that tells me other receivers should have better numbers but they don't. If the Steelers could do it, I would try and sign both of them but it appears that won't happen. So whats the alternative? If Mike leaves I'm not so sure our receivers will be as good, they all had a down year but Mike was the only one seeing double coverage in most instances.

If we want to get better offensively it starts on that line. If you have a real good O-line everything falls into place, the run game improves, the pass blocking improves and the QB is better suited to make plays. IMHO if we want to see this offense get better we need a great offensive line first and foremost before we draft another receiver.
    The Steelers will never have a "real good O-line" as long as Ben is the QB. Actually, let me alter that statement... The Steelers will never have a "real good passing blocking O-line" as long as Ben is the QB. Do I want Ben as our QB? Yes. With that being said, Ben doesn't know how to be a conventional QB and he'll never learn to be one. Need evidence? How many times will Ben take unnecessary sacks that knock us out of field goal range? He's been in the league to long to not understand field position and how critical 10 extra yards can be especially when 3 points are at stake.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When we were 6-3 the O-line was pass blocking pretty well, Ben was having one of his best years, the receivers were getting open, and we were dominating time of possession. Also, we were one of the top teams in converting 3rd downs.....then the injuries.
    Then receivers wern't getting open or dropped passes, holding penalties that killed drives. combine that with dumb block N the back penalties on good returns hurt us.

When a component of the offense breaks down, the entire offense breaks down and thats what we witnessed this season. I still believe the injuries were the main reason we faultered, how do you get any continuity when you have a different guy next to you on the field continuously?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    When we were 6-3 the O-line was pass blocking pretty well, Ben was having one of his best years, the receivers were getting open, and we were dominating time of possession. Also, we were one of the top teams in converting 3rd downs.....then the injuries.
    Then receivers wern't getting open or dropped passes, holding penalties that killed drives. combine that with dumb block N the back penalties on good returns hurt us.

When a component of the offense breaks down, the entire offense breaks down and thats what we witnessed this season. I still believe the injuries were the main reason we faultered, how do you get any continuity when you have a different guy next to you on the field continuously?
    Maybe we should ask the Ravens. They were crushed by injuries worse than us and they still won the division.

Fumbles by Mendenhall, Wallace, Brown, Sanders = STARTERS

Game losing INT's by Ben = STARTER

Our starters lost us the majority of the games this season. Not the backups.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Never seen so many people so keen to throw away productive players- get rid of Wallace, get rid of Mendenhall, get rid of Foote, get rid of Woodley.

He 2nd guy in line is not always better than the guy on top of the pile.

Couldn't have said it better