Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
Who said anything about letting the defense be...or are you implying that we should fire DL to fix the turn-over issue? Or maybe you want to change to a 4-3 because I am sure that will fix all the turn-over issues....

I think everyone would agree that getting more turn-overs would increase our chances of putting up points...Let's face it, the offense needs all the help it can get...

I am not certain what the issue is with turn-overs the last two years...could be talent, luck, scheme...I don't know and I am sure as hell not going to pretend to know more than someone who has been in the NFL longer than I have been alive...

I really don't think turn-overs would have made much of a difference this year....The offense struggled...whether it was injuries, new OC, what have you...They did not take advantage of the turn-overs or ST field position provided to them...Go back and look at the games...they left a lot of points on the field.

Unless the defense was scoring 14 points a game this year...it wouldnt have mattered.

While I agree the defense needs more turn-overs, if the offense doesnt get better we will need to get used to medocrity....
Well, I agree that the offense needs to get better, too. I don't like mediocrity due to offensive underperformance any better than I like mediocrity due to defensive underperformance.

As far as what has been keeping the D from getting turnovers? We need a talent infusion at several positions. The play of some (not all) players has fallen off...In spite of investing two first-round picks on the DL in recent years, it's not nearly as good as when Smith, Hampton (Hoke) and Keisel were tearing things up a few years back. Who knows if Harrison and Woodley will ever be back to what they once were? And having Polamalu out or limited for so many games has definitely hurt. We need to have other bodies to bring in, to replace or at least spell some of our declining "stars".

But over the years, it seems to me that DL's defense has to make some more changes. Not saying we have to switch to a 4-3, but let's face it, our D has gotten predictable. Other teams know what we're going to do, especially late in games. Our defense doesn't attack enough to generate the kind of pressure that creates turnovers. It's more of a vanilla approach that may end up leading the league in fewest yards allowed, but too often yields points at critical junctures.

Someone may say we don't have the players to bring such an attacking D, but I think that some of those players may be here, but in LeBeau's system, too often they languish on the bench. I think we could have rotated McLendon in for Fat Casey more this year, and actually brought some pressure on the opponents. I get it that Woodley is penciled in as the top dog at his position, but Worilds actually played better with fewer opportunities.