Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers playing for more than pride against Browns

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

When did it become okay to lose to the Browns?!?!?!

When did PlanetSteelers become Bizarro World?
    OMG--how right you are !!! I had a neighbor (I live west of Cleveland) come over and tell me he has his Browns stuff ordered (flag for his house) for the Browns sweep of the Steelers this year.

I want the Steelers to win and win big.

Kindle

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

People are nuts everywere.
    [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458518-pittsburgh-steelers-why-they-should-lose-their-final-game?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&u tm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If you read the article it suggests we will be better off losing the game as it could be the difference in getting a better pick in the draft.
    The article also suggests that winning the game won't mean anything? wrong!
    Here is my take:

Even though the game won't make a difference in the aspects mentioned in the article, there is a difference in my mind.
    If we try our best to win this game my hats off to our Steelers. Should we purposely lose the game then it would reflect what the league is turning to.
    What about integrity? Credibility Doesn't that mean anything in this screwed up world?
    I have more faith in the Steelers, their organization, coaches, and players that they will put forth their best effort possible to win this game.

There is no guarantee we will have a better draft pick by losing the game, only a higher pick in the draft. Picking at say 11 as opposed to 15 doesn't mean pick 11 will turn out to be the the better player.

The Steelers are going to win this game and defy all the poppycock thats floating around, integrity is on the line here folks, I'll take our Steelers!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 12-29-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is a perfectly plausible scenario.

It's amusing to me how everyone invents some scenario in their mind to give this last game and season meaning. Or every game for that manner. For some getting a better draft pick makes the most sense. For others it's honor or integrity. For some it's preparing for the future. For some it's hope of humiliation to the organization that will drive change. For others it's an irrelevant game. Everyone has a perception for different reasons. And I can sense a bit of frustration in almost every take on this season.

I'm a SuperBowl or Bust kinda guy. And I always believe there's a chance we'll win it all until there isn't. I'm kinda singularly focused and optimistic in my thinking about this. But I'm also ready to move on and am already thinking about the end of the 2013 season. I look at this as a pre off season and pre preseason game. I'm not really concerned about the integrity of the game or winning or anything like that. Just doing whatever gives the Steelers the best chance to win the next SuperBowl. I don't really care if we win or lose. The #11 or #17 draft pick can land us a roughly equivalent player. I care about continued player development in preparation for the drive to Lombardi #7. That's it.

I realize my perspective is just as crazy as every other. We're all a little off our rocker. On the flip side, I've set a standard for this team that's impossible. We can't win every year. So I'm definitely going to be disappointed. But that's ok, the moments of anticipation are the best. And believing anything is possible until it isn't give me the maximum amount of ecstatic elation over the course of the year.

Others like to set their expectations impossibly low so any success feels good. They're both mind games we play to heighten the journey or the destination. It's kinda odd how focusing on the destination can make the journey better for me. I agree with the "they" that say the journey is more important than the destination. But at the same time, the perceived destination makes the journey way better.

Of course we can enjoy the journey no matter where we're going. But would you really prefer a journey to DisneyWorld or prison? Lombardi #7 is my road trip to DisneyWorld. I'm gonna keep annoying everyone by asking "Are We There Yet" and we're in the pre GPS days when even mom and dad have no idea when we're gonna get there. But everyone in the car knows we're gonna get there.

I have no idea where I'm going with this or what my point is. I guess I'm amused. I'm always amused about something.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In my mind integrity of the game IS important, to sell your soul (not you ) to the devil makes that SB win meaningless.
    Yeah, throw out credibility, integrity, and accountability and you have a Efed up league which the NFL is turning to.
    When the Patriots were accused of cheating and important evidence was missing, it puts an * on their SB wins. They were a great team and didn't need to get an advantage, or did they?

In general, our society is lacking in the above I mentioned, I guess old school accountability doesn't matter these days, just get all you can get no matter how you get it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If you read the article it suggests we will be better off losing the game as it could be the difference in getting a better pick in the draft.
    The article also suggests that winning the game won't mean anything? wrong!
    Here is my take:

Even though the game won't make a difference in the aspects mentioned in the article, there is a difference in my mind.
    If we try our best to win this game my hats off to our Steelers. Should we purposely lose the game then it would reflect what the league is turning to.
    What about integrity? Credibility Doesn't that mean anything in this screwed up world?
    I have more faith in the Steelers, their organization, coaches, and players that they will put forth their best effort possible to win this game.

There is no guarantee we will have a better draft pick by losing the game, only a higher pick in the draft. Picking at say 11 as opposed to 15 doesn't mean pick 11 will turn out to be the the better player.

The Steelers are going to win this game and defy all the poppycock thats floating around, integrity is on the line here folks, I'll take our Steelers!
    Integrity? Have you been following this season? They haven't had any integrity all season long. Wallace? Mendenhall? Dirt bags. They don't even give an effort or sometimes even show up for work. Integrity? Ben completely carelessly throwing game-losing pics? Yea, that's some integrity. I say let the whole thing burn to the ground in order to re-build it completely. Every player should feel they are "re-applying" for the job and so should every coach. If they don't get hired then don't let the door hit you in your butt. Woodley hasn't given much effort all season long and didn't bother to lose any of his fat as he is at least 20 lbs too heavy, but he doesn't give a rat's butt. Integrity?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

beast and epic post.