Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Steelers playing for more than pride against Browns

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089

    Steelers playing for more than pride against Browns

    Being swept by the Browns would be the lowest of lows in this injury filled season the Steelers had. Some might feel we might be better off losing to get a higher pick in the draft, but they need to win this game and lay the foundation for next season.

    Jobs are on the line here, they'll know who packed it in, so pride is at the forefront but so is individual results on the field.
    For me, I not only want our Steelers to win I want them to dominate from start to finish and finish on a good note for the lackluster season they had.
    I want to read in Mondays paper, " Where was this Offense during the course of the season".

    Some fans think injuries shouldn't of been an excuse for us not playing to our capabilities, but in reality they were. If we had our full compliment of starters all season and ended the same way I could say we just ain't that good, but the fact is injuries hurt us big time. Now injuries isn't the only issue we had but it is the main reason, those drops, mistakes and penalties killed drives and might have been the difference winning all those 3 point losses.

    WIN!!!!

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,469
    The "pride game" was last Sunday against the Bumgals. Winning this Sunday for "pride" is too little, too late. In other words it would be a meaningless gesture.

    Let's not forget the other "pride games" against Oakland, Tennessee and San Diego. They need to lose this Sunday so they have to live the off season with the stain of a sub-.500 record. Maybe that gets some players motivated to work harder and coaches and the front office motivated to make some real changes. Complacency has found a comfortable home in Pittsburgh.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,380
    The outcome of this game will matter as much as a preseason game. Winning or losing doesn't make a difference to me. What I hope to see is effort. I want to see young guys playing for their future.

    We got to see Willie Parker get his first meaningful work in a game that didn't matter. And he produced. He made the game enjoyable. Perhaps this could be a moment for Worilds, Heyward, Rainey, Paulson, Victorian or a guy like Cortez to have another big week and start making a case that he should be our #1 CB.

    Will old guys go out an prove they still have it and football matters to them. We can learn which older guys still have something in the tank. If guys like Casey, Foote, Max, etc. go out and give everything they have in a meaningless game, the Steelers may use that in their decision process of who to bring back next year.

    Could a malcontent like Wally or Mendy show us something. Could they tell us they haven't mailed it in?

    There's lots to look for in this game. But winning doesn't matter.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,140
    Pride flew out the window a long, long time ago this season. It was especially absent when Rivers threw for 3 TD's and the hapless Bolts, with a coach that's going to be fired, put up 30+ after losing 4 in a row. Outside a few guys, most have looked as if they were ready to be on the golf course in southern FL for all of December.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Pride flew out the window a long, long time ago this season. It was especially absent when Rivers threw for 3 TD's and the hapless Bolts, with a coach that's going to be fired, put up 30+ after losing 4 in a row. Outside a few guys, most have looked as if they were ready to be on the golf course in southern FL for all of December.
    It would actually bum me out if this pride all of a sudden showed up given that it was nowhere to be found when it mattered.

    The only motivation I see working in this game is fear and desperation. Guys want a job next year plain and simple. Some of them will be playing for future income.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,469
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The outcome of this game will matter as much as a preseason game. Winning or losing doesn't make a difference to me. What I hope to see is effort. I want to see young guys playing for their future.

    We got to see Willie Parker get his first meaningful work in a game that didn't matter. And he produced. He made the game enjoyable. Perhaps this could be a moment for Worilds, Heyward, Rainey, Paulson, Victorian or a guy like Cortez to have another big week and start making a case that he should be our #1 CB.

    Will old guys go out an prove they still have it and football matters to them. We can learn which older guys still have something in the tank. If guys like Casey, Foote, Max, etc. go out and give everything they have in a meaningless game, the Steelers may use that in their decision process of who to bring back next year.

    Could a malcontent like Wally or Mendy show us something. Could they tell us they haven't mailed it in?

    There's lots to look for in this game. But winning doesn't matter.
    Losing actually gets us a better draft pick. Winning gets us nothing but a false sense of accomplishment.

    Wally mailed it in long ago. He is playing not to get hurt.
    I would play Worilds and sit Woodley. Woodley has done nothing to show he earned starting over Worilds. He needs a message sent to him.

    Let some young players start and lets see what we have.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Losing actually gets us a better draft pick. Winning gets us nothing but a false sense of accomplishment.

    Wally mailed it in long ago. He is playing not to get hurt.
    I would play Worilds and sit Woodley. Woodley has done nothing to show he earned starting over Worilds. He needs a message sent to him.

    Let some young players start and lets see what we have.
    Woodley would get the last laugh sitting on millions in the bank while warming the bench. That's what sucks about guaranteed money.... it doesn't guarantee performance.

  8. #8
    What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

    When did it become okay to lose to the Browns?!?!?!

    When did PlanetSteelers become Bizarro World?

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

    When did it become okay to lose to the Browns?!?!?!

    After we lost to the Bengals. This game became irrelevant. It's like watching the Pirates after the All Star break.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?!?!?

    When did it become okay to lose to the Browns?!?!?!



    When did PlanetSteelers become Bizarro World?
    Its okay for the team and players to pack it in for the season, but not the fans?

    The Steelers packed it in weeks ago....

    The players should be playing for their jobs after their performance this year....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •