Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foote - Timmons numbers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Foote and Timmons have very different roles in this defense. Timmons plays quite a bit in coverage on Tight Ends and his role is more varied.

A direct comparison of stats is misleading, however I would bring Foote back. With the right hogs in front of him, he can still play.
    Agree. The numbers do not tell the whole story.

I would also like to see Foote return if they can bring him back on a qualified veteran deal. I would like to see him compete with Spence and see Spence win the job by the end of the 2013 season, but Spence is obviously a huge question mark.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Agree. The numbers do not tell the whole story.

I would also like to see Foote return if they can bring him back on a qualified veteran deal. I would like to see him compete with Spence and see Spence win the job by the end of the 2013 season, but Spence is obviously a huge question mark.
    After that gruesome injury, I'm not sure Spence will be playing football in 2013.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Foote and Timmons have very different roles in this defense. Timmons plays quite a bit in coverage on Tight Ends and his role is more varied.

A direct comparison of stats is misleading, however I would bring Foote back. With the right hogs in front of him, he can still play.
    This. It's very misleading because as you said Timmons is all over the field. I also would bring foote back and I agree with you and the others on a nose tackle. If we can get consistent push and someone to eat up two lineman our linebackers will get back to doing what they do best. Getting to the QB. I still don't understand why Hampton saw so many snaps this season especially with what McClendon has shown on several occasions. We also still have Ta'amu tied to the roster.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Both Foote and Timmons had great years, while Foote should be on his way down and Timmons on his way up.

And not to be an ass, but since I've noticed it over five times here lately (in other threads) I thought I'd point out that the word you guys are wanting is "dominant" instead of "dominate".
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Administrator

User Info Menu

We need to replace Foote.. I'm hoping Spence can fill that role.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Both Foote and Timmons had great years, while Foote should be on his way down and Timmons on his way up.

And not to be an ass, but since I've noticed it over five times here lately (in other threads) I thought I'd point out that the word you guys are wanting is "dominant" instead of "dominate".
    Wasn't going to say anything, but Chadman was starting to wonder if the USA had decided to use dominant/dominate in different ways to the rest of the English speaking world...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers notebook: Foote: NFL jealous of Steelers’ success

By Ralph N. Paulk
    412-320-7923
    Sports Reporter
    [url]http://triblive.com/mobile/3188491-81/steelers-harrison-linebacker[/url]
    Published: Friday, December 28, 2012, 7:24 p.m.
    Updated 1 hour ago

Linebacker Larry Foote admits to being a conspiracy theorist, so it‘s only natural that he blames the NFL for the No. 1-ranked defense having nary a player selected for the Pro Bowl.

“I believe the NFL doesn‘t like us because we‘ve been good for so long that people are jealous of us,” Foote said. “We‘ve got the most Super Bowl rings, best organization and best fan base. So people just naturally hate us. I think (safety) Ryan Clark and (linebacker) Lawrence Timmons should be starting in the Pro Bowl.”

• Besides being without receiver Mike Wallace (hip/hamstring) against Cleveland on Sunday at Heinz Field, cornerback Curtis Brown (ankle), linebacker Marshall McFadden (abdomen) and tackle Mike Adams (ankle) also will sit out. Cornerback Keenan Lewis (knee), safety Troy Polamalu (not injury related) and guard David DeCastro (hamstring) are probable. All three practiced Friday.

• Linebacker James Harrison didn‘t back down from statements he made to ESPN last week about tackling players below the knee because of fines defensive players receive for blows to the head. “It‘s going to have to change because if a guy is running across the middle, and at the last second he ducks down and you make incidental helmet contact, it‘s on the defender not to make that contact,” Harrison said. “So the only way to avoid that is to tackle a guy lower.” Harrison said the rules on blows to the head haven‘t changed his style. “I don‘t think I‘m less aggressive,” said Harrison, who has 60 tackles and five sacks.

• While his offense struggled during the second half of the season, offensive coordinator Todd Haley expects the kinks to be ironed out when the Steelers report to mini-camp next year. “There is no substitute for experience, and then it‘s about what you do with it,” he said.

• Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said his squad‘s biggest improvement was stopping the run, a weakness that cost the Steelers in early-season losses to Tennessee and Oakland. He added the biggest reason for the turnaround was veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton, whose performance made the Steelers fourth best against the run. “I think all those guys getting stronger, and some of the young guys that had to transition into new roles, they got stronger as we went along,” LeBeau said. “I‘m very proud of this group for staying with it and fighting through a slower start than we wanted.”

• Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Rashard Mendenhall have one last audition for the starting job next year. Of course, that‘s assuming the Steelers and Mendenhall can work out a deal when his contract expires after Sunday‘s game against Cleveland. Some doubt was cast over the running backs corps when all three were benched after fumbling in the first matchup against Cleveland last month. “I appreciated it because it made me want to be perfect,” Dwyer said. “I wanted to redeem myself. I‘m more cautious with the ball, but it didn‘t get into my head psychologically.” Mendenhall simply is looking to build on the progress he made against the Bengals last week, when he rushed for a game-high 50 yards.

• Lewis, who said his knee bother him for much of last week‘s game, practiced Friday but remains uncertain of his available because of a sore hip. “I don‘t know right now,” said Lewis, who leads the league with 28 passes defended. Lewis is driven to play by not getting a Pro Bowl invitation. Something he vows to change next season. “I promise you I‘m going next year,” said Lewis, who is fourth on the team with 76 combined tackles but no interceptions. “I had a chance to sit back and get the feel of what it‘s like to be a starter. I‘m ready to take my game to the next level.”

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.