Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers notebook: Dick LeBeau wants to return

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe the lack of pass rush (not just OLB pass rush) is partly due to LeBeau ...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is where I am at on this. Before the 2012 season I was ready to move on without him for 2013. Based upon the 2012 final outcome, I would like him to come back. Not because of what he did or where the defense ranked. Because of what I think will happen over the next 6 months. I feel there will be a big turnover on defense in 2013 and will continue in 2014. It would be very beneficial to have DL here for 2013 for player development in this system. I predict Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel may be gone for 2013 and Polamalu, Clark, and Taylor will be gone for 2014.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Because of what I think will happen over the next 6 months. I feel there will be a big turnover on defense in 2013 and will continue in 2014. It would be very beneficial to have DL here for 2013 for player development in this system.
    You mean the historical LeBeau two to three year player development cycle? You really think that is what we need going forward?

It's really moot because the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau stay as long as he wants no matter what the performance.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean the historical LeBeau two to three year player development cycle? You really think that is what we need going forward?

It's really moot because the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau stay as long as he wants no matter what the performance.
    We can't take 2 or 3 years to develop people, which half the time I think that is horse rap anyway and nothing more than Lebeau favoring veterans and making young players earn their stripes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    [B]

“That would be up to Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Let‘s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”
    [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3188475-74/steelers-miller-award?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ca mpaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+S tories%29#ixzz2GIkCHrGr[/URL]
    Anyone believe that? No way. It won't be up to Tomlin; it will really be up to the Rooneys. I never heard Tomlin say a peep about "his" decision to boot Arians; that's because it wasn't his call, nor will DL status be.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    We can't take 2 or 3 years to develop people, which half the time I think that is horse rap anyway and nothing more than Lebeau favoring veterans and making young players earn their stripes.
    That crap has to end. You no longer can afford to wait 3 years for a player to be playing. It's BS. There is something to be said for making young guys earn playing time, but this team just takes it way too far. It's madness.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.
    Yea, but they are all buddies, fawning all over each other, so it doesn't matter. As long as they are best buddies, we should be content.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Anyone believe that? No way. It won't be up to Tomlin; it will really be up to the Rooneys. I never heard Tomlin say a peep about "his" decision to boot Arians; that's because it wasn't his call, nor will DL status be.
    i think anyone who really knows anything realizes the rooneys make the big decisions. DL is just being nice and making it sounds good. tomlin was probably able to hire the OL coach or ST coach(with rooney approval) but not much else.

Legend

User Info Menu

Im sure we all know this allready, but in D.L.'s defense he had no Harrison and an uninspired,often injured Woodley.
    Throw in the fact that none of our DL can beat a blocker and unless Foote or Timmons are unblocked, there's usually no pressure generated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
    The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.