Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Steelers notebook: Dick LeBeau wants to return

  1. #41
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,731
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    when DL leaves, i want to switch to a 4-3
    Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Woodley became a starter because we let Haggans walk. Troy sat behind who...Mike Logan his rookie year...which was 9 years ago....is that recent past? The only reason guys get on the field over DL's chosen ones is injury or them leaving via free agency.
    Troy, the guy that many called "Bustamalu" his rookie year? As a rookie, he looked slow and was often out of position. He did not play well which is why he did not see the field often.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
    The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.
    The Steelers don't play rookies as quickly as many teams because they have strong starters.

    What Ovi refuses to acknowledge is that players on other teams throughout the league often take a few years to make an impact. There are as many busts on 4-3 teams as there are with 3-4 teams. Defensive players, and rookies generally, that come in early and make a difference as rookies are the exception, not the rule.

    With the Steelers often picking late, it is difficult to find impact players generally, especially those that will make an early impact. If you are in a position to select JJ Watt, a guy like that will play. When you're stuck with Cam Heyward, a much less talented player, you should expect that it will take him longer to work his way into the lineup.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    when DL leaves, i want to switch to a 4-3
    Why? What is the logic behind your desire to switch to a 4-3?

    I don't care what they call the defense, as long as its effective....

  5. #45
    Hall of Famer Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,541
    LeBeau coming back =



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  6. #46
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean the historical LeBeau two to three year player development cycle? You really think that is what we need going forward?

    It's really moot because the Rooney's are going to let LeBeau stay as long as he wants no matter what the performance.
    Come on O...Young players have seen the field...But that isn't want I am talking about. The majority of those holes will be filled by people on the roster headed into camp. They will assume new roles. They have already been under DL. Stability goes a long way when you pencil in multiple new starters on a side of the football. The challenge will be the new guys coming in behind them that could push. Even if you use my prediction of Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel being gone....Worilds-Carter, McClendon-Ta'Amu, Spence-Sylvester, and Heyward are sitting right behind them for 2013. The Steelers make sure they have competition by holding on to their own FAs. I expect an OLB & possibly an ILB in the draft and with coaching they could end up being the ones who win out. That is healthy and to be honest needed. I also expect a S and with Troy not being able to stay on the field...He may have to get up to speed very quickly. Regardless of that...He will be a starter come 2014. Learning behind Polamalu, Clark, and DL will be vital in his early development.

    Turnover is going to be on defense over the next two years. I think it would be beneficial keeping as much stability on the staff as possible for 2013. DL leaving in 2014 will be an easier transition for the next in line with players schooled under DL over 2013.



  7. #47
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Troy, the guy that many called "Bustamalu" his rookie year? As a rookie, he looked slow and was often out of position. He did not play well which is why he did not see the field often.
    Bustamalu was coined due to him riding the pine behind the likes of Mike Logan.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Bustamalu was coined due to him riding the pine behind the likes of Mike Logan.
    Troy really did not start to come on until late in his second year.

  9. #49
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,731
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Come on O...Young players have seen the field...But that isn't want I am talking about. The majority of those holes will be filled by people on the roster headed into camp. They will assume new roles. They have already been under DL. Stability goes a long way when you pencil in multiple new starters on a side of the football. The challenge will be the new guys coming in behind them that could push. Even if you use my prediction of Harrison, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Keisel being gone....Worilds-Carter, McClendon-Ta'Amu, Spence-Sylvester, and Heyward are sitting right behind them for 2013. The Steelers make sure they have competition by holding on to their own FAs. I expect an OLB & possibly an ILB in the draft and with coaching they could end up being the ones who win out. That is healthy and to be honest needed. I also expect a S and with Troy not being able to stay on the field...He may have to get up to speed very quickly. Regardless of that...He will be a starter come 2014. Learning behind Polamalu, Clark, and DL will be vital in his early development.

    Turnover is going to be on defense over the next two years. I think it would be beneficial keeping as much stability on the staff as possible for 2013. DL leaving in 2014 will be an easier transition for the next in line with players schooled under DL over 2013.

    Look at our current roster and where are we stronger with more depth? on The Def Line or at LB? Our roster and some possible cap cuts indicate our LB group isn't deep enough or dominant enough for a LB centric defense and it will take years to rebuild it to where it was just two years ago.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #50
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,852
    Tomlin all but guarantees that LeBeau will be back



    It promises to be a busy season for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after an 8-8 season. (AP file photo)

    Wed Jan 2, 2013.
    By Mike Bires

    PITTSBURGH – During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.

    Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.

    But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A special man, a special coach.”

    But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said "It was about 8-8, like all of us. I’m a black-and-white kind of a guy. He was an 8-8 coordinator. I was an 8-8 head coach. I don’t think that’s what either of us desire to be.”

    The only assistant Tomlin has to replace is offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who is leaving to become the head coach at the University of Texas at El Paso. Kugler cleaned out his office at team headquarters this morning.

    Kugler will not be taking any Steelers assistants with him to UTEP.

    Tomlin is meeting with his team for the final time at 2 p.m. today and will start a series of exit meetings with his players. Some of those exit meetings will be held later today and them resume on Wednesday and continue on Thursday.

    As far as the 2012 season that ended with an 8-8 non-playoff record, “We didn’t do enough particularly in the closing moments of close football games.”

    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...9bb30f31a.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •