Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Steelers notebook: Dick LeBeau wants to return

  1. #31
    I just don't tknow what the fans expect, that other teams never get any points? The rest of the NFL has a lot of talent. LeBeau has done an excellent job and I don't think age has one thing to do with creativity or innovation. The Steeler defense was again the most impressive and effective unit. The offense underperformed. If the Steelers had a top 15 offense to go with their No. 1 defense they would be in the playoffs and be one of the favorites to win it. Does LeBeau have something to do with the lack of turnovers? I don't think so, except maybe the they could emphasize tackling the ball more than they do. It seems like other teams go after the strip more than the Steelers. Does being old mean LeBeau has no concept of that? No, because that concept is as old as the rivers just like everything else. There is really nothing that is new because everything has been done before, it's just a matter of juggling things and I think LeBeau does it as well as anyone.

  2. #32
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
    The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.
    If a guy's good enough, he'll get PT. Cortez Allen got significant snaps as a rookie recently. I think Spence was on the path to playing this season before destroying his knee.

    Other guys have gotten in early in the recent past as well. Woodley and Troy come to mind. Even the undrafted McClendon got PT early.

    On the other hand, when you use 1st round picks on Ziggy and Heyward, you'd expect both of those guys to be in the lineup much faster. But they were also log jammed behind entrenched starters.

    If you have a veteran team, rookies are gonna have a hard time beating out a vet. It's gonna happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected to be the norm. Now if you're going to a team with no talent, then rookies have an easier path to playing.

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm going to call you out on this one. Over the last 3 seasons, most of the defensive draft picks were in a significant number of games, even in their rookie seasons. It may not be to the extent you want to see, but part of LeBeau's talent as a coach is knowing exactly how much to put on a young player to instill confidence and give the best chance for success. So regardless of your perception, the truth is DL plays young players when he thinks they are ready.
    The pickup of CB Van Dyke is a typical example. The Raiders rushed him into the game and he was quickly overwhelmed and generally sucked and benched. With some patience and coaching from DL and Lake, I am hoping the guy can turn into something special.
    The only reason those young players got in the game was due to injury or because someone wasn't signed and left via free agency, not because he trusted them. Name me a young player that he 'allowed' to beat out a veteran due to their play on the field.

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If a guy's good enough, he'll get PT. Cortez Allen got significant snaps as a rookie recently. I think Spence was on the path to playing this season before destroying his knee.

    Other guys have gotten in early in the recent past as well. Woodley and Troy come to mind. Even the undrafted McClendon got PT early.

    On the other hand, when you use 1st round picks on Ziggy and Heyward, you'd expect both of those guys to be in the lineup much faster. But they were also log jammed behind entrenched starters.

    If you have a veteran team, rookies are gonna have a hard time beating out a vet. It's gonna happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected to be the norm. Now if you're going to a team with no talent, then rookies have an easier path to playing.
    Woodley became a starter because we let Haggans walk. Troy sat behind who...Mike Logan his rookie year...which was 9 years ago....is that recent past? The only reason guys get on the field over DL's chosen ones is injury or them leaving via free agency.

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Woodley became a starter because we let Haggans walk. Troy sat behind who...Mike Logan his rookie year...which was 9 years ago....is that recent past? The only reason guys get on the field over DL's chosen ones is injury or them leaving via free agency.
    So apparently just because you are a high draft pick you are instantly better than whoever is playing on the field, and game experience counts for nothing? Not buying it. DL plays players when he thinks they are ready. As a rookie you might not see the field a lot, but if you are good it will happen quickly soon after. Getting used to NFL game speed is an adjustment for most college players.

    The Steelers defense is consistently good for one reason, the players on the field are prepared for their assignments and for the most part, execute them well. It doesn't happen by accident or willy nilly substitutions.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I just don't tknow what the fans expect, that other teams never get any points? The rest of the NFL has a lot of talent. LeBeau has done an excellent job and I don't think age has one thing to do with creativity or innovation. The Steeler defense was again the most impressive and effective unit. The offense underperformed. If the Steelers had a top 15 offense to go with their No. 1 defense they would be in the playoffs and be one of the favorites to win it. Does LeBeau have something to do with the lack of turnovers? I don't think so, except maybe the they could emphasize tackling the ball more than they do. It seems like other teams go after the strip more than the Steelers. Does being old mean LeBeau has no concept of that? No, because that concept is as old as the rivers just like everything else. There is really nothing that is new because everything has been done before, it's just a matter of juggling things and I think LeBeau does it as well as anyone.
    Exactly. It is very odd that some fans think LeBeau coaches in a vacuum and knows only one kind of defense. The guy has been around as long as dirt, has seen defensive schemes come and go, lived through rule changes, coaching changes. Bottomline, he knows what defenses work. The Steelers might not always have the best personnel for a particular opponent or offense, but in general no one can reasonably deny that week in week out, the Steelers defense keeps the opponent within winning distance.

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler thor75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    1,032
    If LeBeau returns how do you think this affects Keith Butler, the supposed DC in waiting? How long does Butler wait and do we care if he goes or stays? Like mentioned earlier, C. Lake may turn into a good candidate in a few years if LeBeau sacks father time and sticks around.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So apparently just because you are a high draft pick you are instantly better than whoever is playing on the field, and game experience counts for nothing? Not buying it. DL plays players when he thinks they are ready. As a rookie you might not see the field a lot, but if you are good it will happen quickly soon after. Getting used to NFL game speed is an adjustment for most college players.

    The Steelers defense is consistently good for one reason, the players on the field are prepared for their assignments and for the most part, execute them well. It doesn't happen by accident or willy nilly substitutions.
    Your moving the goalposts. You say that young players 'in the recent past' have started.....the only reason was due to injury or the vet leaving. Only 'young' player to beat out a starter was Troy and he sat a year behind Logan....and yes, he should of started over Logan that year. Troy had more talent in the toe jam on his left foot over Logan so game experience means jack in that case.

  9. #39
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    If LeBeau returns how do you think this affects Keith Butler, the supposed DC in waiting? How long does Butler wait and do we care if he goes or stays? Like mentioned earlier, C. Lake may turn into a good candidate in a few years if LeBeau sacks father time and sticks around.

    when DL leaves, i want to switch to a 4-3

  10. #40
    Backup Chucktownsteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    323
    I think DLB needs to come back for one season, until this offense gells.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •