Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers notebook: Dick LeBeau wants to return

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think DL's performance as DC this year was much like it was for the entire team. He was great in spots and for stretches, but over the course of the season, his shortcomings were terribly obvious. Teams are no longer mystified by the zone blitz scheme, despite all the fawning the announcers do any time a Steelers sacks the QB (an increasingly rare occurrence). You have to adapt your schemes to the personnel you have, but you also have to push the envelope a little. Every Steeler game I watched this year, the DBs were at least 7-10 yards off the receivers at the line. On Sunday, AJ Green is untouched on perhaps the most important down of the season. You can't have some type of scheme that will allow you to provide a jam at the line with help over the top if you get beat? He's the best receiver on the team and STILL he beats you? Shouldn't he be taken away and we force Dalton to find someone else?

LeBeau doesn't have it any longer. I understand he dealt with a ton of injuries, but if ever there was a meaningless stat, it is our #1 defense ranking. I'd much rather give up a ton of yardage during the course of a game than to give up big plays, red zone touchdowns and key 3rd down conversions. The Steeler D lacks imagination and creativity. I read about NFL coaches who come up with entirely new schemes on D each week so their opponents never know what to expect. I don't think we do that. We are missing something on D and I think it starts with LeBeau. He has been a great coach and an innovator, but those innovative days are well behind him. You think LeBeau could take a wide receiver and make him a D back, as we've seen the Pats do? I don't think so. The Steelers D is too reliant on its stars and when the stars don't perform, we're left wanting. We need a young DC who is eager to make a name and show what he can do. At one point in time, that guy was Tomlin, believe it or not. LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    I think DL's performance as DC this year was much like it was for the entire team. He was great in spots and for stretches, but over the course of the season, his shortcomings were terribly obvious. Teams are no longer mystified by the zone blitz scheme, despite all the fawning the announcers do any time a Steelers sacks the QB (an increasingly rare occurrence). You have to adapt your schemes to the personnel you have, but you also have to push the envelope a little. Every Steeler game I watched this year, the DBs were at least 7-10 yards off the receivers at the line. On Sunday, AJ Green is untouched on perhaps the most important down of the season. You can't have some type of scheme that will allow you to provide a jam at the line with help over the top if you get beat? He's the best receiver on the team and STILL he beats you? Shouldn't he be taken away and we force Dalton to find someone else?

LeBeau doesn't have it any longer. I understand he dealt with a ton of injuries, but if ever there was a meaningless stat, it is our #1 defense ranking. I'd much rather give up a ton of yardage during the course of a game than to give up big plays, red zone touchdowns and key 3rd down conversions. The Steeler D lacks imagination and creativity. I read about NFL coaches who come up with entirely new schemes on D each week so their opponents never know what to expect. I don't think we do that. We are missing something on D and I think it starts with LeBeau. He has been a great coach and an innovator, but those innovative days are well behind him. You think LeBeau could take a wide receiver and make him a D back, as we've seen the Pats do? I don't think so. The Steelers D is too reliant on its stars and when the stars don't perform, we're left wanting. We need a young DC who is eager to make a name and show what he can do. At one point in time, that guy was Tomlin, believe it or not. LeBeau isn't hungry any longer and it is a feeling that's passed on to his players and something you can see on the field.

Last I looked it wasn't just yardage the Steelers ranked high in. Despite numerous injuries to key players, the defense was #10 in scoring defense. Ahead of Baltimore and the genius in NE.
    I guess there is no convincing some of you of LeBeau's value to this team. Hopefully the Rooney's and Tomlin have a little more sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dick LeBeau intends on returning to Steelers next season

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 28, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely return for another season as the head of the vaunted Steelers’ defense.

According to Chris Adamski of the Associated Press, the 75-year old LeBeau told his players this week he plans on coming back to head the Pittsburgh defense for another season.

LeBeau continues to say that his job status remains purely in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. While that may technically be true, the chances Tomlin wouldn’t bring LeBeau back if he wants to return next season is pretty miniscule.

“Let’s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

LeBeau has spent 55 consecutive seasons in the league as a player and then a coach. Next season would be his tenth straight season at the helm of the Pittsburgh defense. During his time in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have led the league in total defense five times in nine seasons.

The Steelers defense has never ranked outside the top 10 in the league in total defense since LeBeau took over in 2004. If LeBeau wants to continue coaching, Tomlin will be happy to have him.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/dick-lebeau-intends-on-returning-to-steelers-next-season/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Waiting for Ovi to enter.......
    Doesn't matter. LeBeau apparently is like that professor who has tenure. He'll stay as long as he wants and we can have another season of fewer sacks and INTs and probably an 8-8 or 9-7 record.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Doesn't matter. LeBeau apparently is like that professor who has tenure. He'll stay as long as he wants and we can have another season of fewer sacks and INTs and probably an 8-8 or 9-7 record.
    Given all he's had to deal with, did you really think our D would have been as good as they've been? A top 10 scoring D should be good enough to get you in the playoffs when you have a "franchise" QB. Lebeau is holding together a house of cards in a tornado imho.

I really think this might have been his best season. He turned chicken sh!t into chicken salad. And I think we found ourselves a hidden gem in Carnell Lake. I'd like for Lebeau to stay around a little longer so Lake gets a little more experience and possible a real shot at being our future DC.

Carnell's bucked the Tomlin team trend. He took a unit that was a weakness and turned it into a strength. His unit pretty much was the only bright spot. And he did it without his best player.

Heck, why can't Carnell one day be our HC?

Legend

User Info Menu

More than any other 'team' at the Steelers, the Defense 'team' underwent some pretty major surgury this seaon- from Farrior & Smith & Hoke moving on, to multiple injuries, to the decline of some long-term vets, and the promotion of some young up-and-comers.

The Defensive unit was one of major change, and LeBeau did a very good job, considering the circumstances.

The Defense, sadly, will continue to suffer from instability until the transition from old-to-new is complete. Replacing Hampton, Harrison, Clark, Taylor, Polamalu & Keisel over the next couple of years will be difficult. Not to mention potentially losing Lewis this season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

I too, think Carnell Lake has made his mark with this secondary. Lake was never a guy with elite speed or athletic ability but it was reported how much of a student of the game he was, always where he needed to be to make a play. It is quite remarkable his impact on the young guys in so short a time.

Now where can we find an OL coach version of Lake?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    LeBeau is the best in the business, if you had any doubts it was erased this season. Even the injuries couldn't stop this defense in being a top tier defense.
    Glad he's coming back!
    +1...That is the best news I have heard this season....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Given all he's had to deal with, did you really think our D would have been as good as they've been? A top 10 scoring D should be good enough to get you in the playoffs when you have a "franchise" QB. Lebeau is holding together a house of cards in a tornado imho.
    QFT. This is exactly right. The scheme is exceptionally sound. Players need to make the splash plays when given the opportunity, like they did against Cincy...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm quite pleased that Lebeau is coming back. The fact that the defense was able to do what it did despite the OLBs generating little pass rush is really a credit to DL.