Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I agree Jones has medical issues that may drop him. However, I do not think we will be picking low enough to grab Te'o or Moore.

Moore is going to benefit from the Von Miller effect. Te'o is getting all of the hype with Notre Dames' season. I don't think Te'o is that great of an athlete. I think that will show up in the game against Alabama. I know it is only one game, but it will be a good test for Te'o.

However, I do think that Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones (Medical Reasons), Jesse Williams, and Ezekiel Ansah will be available where we pick. Who do you take out of these players?

I would take them in this order. Jones, Jordan, Williams, Ansah.
    I love Jones but why would you take a player with a medical red flag?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I love Jones but why would you take a player with a medical red flag?
    Risk vs. Reward. I don't think his injury will keep him from playing, but it may shorten his career some.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I didn't think DeCastro would slide either, but since guards aren't highly valued anymore, he did.

I like Jarvis Jones, Star Lotulelei, and Manti Te'o, but of those three, the elite level pass rusher and the immovable object inside are not likely to fall out of the top 5 (those guys you'd need to trade up to get, and unfortunately, we don't have the ammo to do so). The only one there that I could potentially see sliding like DeCastro did would be the inside backer, since that is an undervalued position in the new NFL just like guard. You can possibly get top 10 talents in the middle of the first round (or later) if they don't play a position of premium value. Just saying that if he slides, we should take Te'o. If Jones or Lotulelei slid, I'd jump all over them as well, but that has an infinitesimal chance of happening in my mind.
    I totally agree with this. Money post right here.

I think there is a very good chance Te'o last until the 10th pick and even possibly till the 13 pick. It's just how the draft goes. The elite pass rushers, the immovable object, a pair of legit LT's, and two QB's who teams will over draft for are going make a lesser valued position like ILB drop down the board.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    First off...I can't believe anyone thinks an OL will be the 1st pick. I'm baffled many are going there. Enough time spent on that.

To the topic, you can't pull success stories and say "You don't have to because". Line up other positions and you can pull the same results.

Here is the bottom line. You can't miss on the 1st. The higher up you pick the greater the urgency. You look for "Your guy" and cross you fingers. But if somone is there that you graded out much higher, you don't pass. This draft will be heavy early on defense. Argue...Say what you want...Throw out scenarios...There is no doubt.

If Te'o is still there barring any type of disasterous combine, the Steelers may beat the anouncement of the pick before to the podium. If a guy like Moore falls...They will be writing on the card as they walk to the podium. There are so many other names that fit the bill but make no mistake...It will be a defensive player.

Things the Steelers can control will be adressed before the draft. Everyone has already punched Wallace's ticket. Nobody thinks they will or can pay Lewis to keep him here. Mendy is already on the bus out of town. Very seldom the Steelers let young talent walk out the door. Do not be surprised with moves in the offseason that send fan favorites to the streets to keep young players who we already closed the door behind. What does an 8-8 or 7-9 season say to a team who had high goals? It answers financial questions about the vet core. It closes that chapter of many great players. The Steelers face the task of paying youthful talent versus holding on to highly paid accomplished vets at the end of their careers. They are at the fork in the road after 2011 & 2012 and the one direction says "Dead End". They stood looking at both paths for 2012. Prepare your jaw to drop over the next 6 months. It isn't going to be pretty but at the same time it will be sweet for the long term.
    And I think this too is money. Great post JPN. I am right there with you on this.

I personally believe that Te'o is a Junior Seau type who actually covers better. Maybe the Troy Polamalu of LBers. All over the place making plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    We all have our reasons & players we like. I will take your above scenario. Keep in mind this is my preference sitting as a Steeler GM right now. I would only have Jones, Moore, & Te'o in the conversation as far as my grading. I would have Jordan & Hankins much lower. Here comes the "crazy" but this is my preference.

My first choice would be Moore. He will be 20 on draft day and turn 21 in season. He has that "It" factor to be a difference maker. Will see the field game 1. My second choice would be Te'O. He will be 21 on draft day. I need to see him in position drills and look at his cone times & 10 yard split. He may jump ahead of Moore when it is all said & done. As a Steeler GM...I have them rated about the same & since a pass rusher trumps the ILB I go with Moore. Believe it or not, I have Jones as my third choice. Jones will turn 24 during the season. A bigger concern is his medical. His 2009 neck injury has me rating him lower. He was diahnosed with spinal stenosis. It was bad enough for USC not to clear him to play again and he transfered to Georgia who cleared him. Jones was a highly productive player at Georgia but his medical & age has him dropping on my board.
    I can see this but I would go Te'o, Jones, and then Moore. And my reason is the Steelers may have a legitimate/descent OLB in Worilds already. ILB is the center piece of a defense. Te'o's leadership/play calling will be huge to any team. And his trend the past 4 years has been to improve. He is disciplined and humble. He will represent the Burgh as a player should.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 12-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I totally agree with this. Money post right here.

I think there is a very good chance Te'o last until the 10th pick and even possibly till the 13 pick. It's just how the draft goes. The elite pass rushers, the immovable object, a pair of legit LT's, and two QB's who teams will over draft for are going make a lesser valued position like ILB drop down the board.
    You really think the Steelers are going to lose to Thaddeus Lewis? Your dream is already dead. The Steelers will be 8-8 and will pick no where near 11. Te'o has a hype that will ensure he goes top 10-11.

And no, I am not trading picks to move up to 10 or 11. We need all of the picks we can get.

Legend

User Info Menu

I personally believe that Te'o is a Junior Seau type who actually covers better. Maybe the Troy Polamalu of LBers. All over the place making plays.
    It's kinda funny how folks tend to compare, say, white wide receivers only to other white wide receivers (Danny Amendola is the next Wes Welker! Eric Decker is the next Ed McCaffery!) and now we can only compare Samoan defenders to other Samoan defenders (not saying anything about you in particular, D-Dub, just using your post to comment about pretty much everybody in general).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You really think the Steelers are going to lose to Thaddeus Lewis? Your dream is already dead. The Steelers will be 8-8 and will pick no where near 11. Te'o has a hype that will ensure he goes top 10-11.

And no, I am not trading picks to move up to 10 or 11. We need all of the picks we can get.
    Well based on how the Steelers have played of late it is possible. Cleveland has a pretty good defense and they have been in almost every game. But if I were a beating man I'd pick the Steelers. They still should win...but how many times has that been said this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    It's kinda funny how folks tend to compare, say, white wide receivers only to other white wide receivers (Danny Amendola is the next Wes Welker! Eric Decker is the next Ed McCaffery!) and now we can only compare Samoan defenders to other Samoan defenders (not saying anything about you in particular, D-Dub, just using your post to comment about pretty much everybody in general).
    Well that is a true comparison (being Samoan), but it wouldn't mean a whole lot if their style of play wasn't similar.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well based on how the Steelers have played of late it is possible. Cleveland has a pretty good defense and they have been in almost every game. But if I were a beating man I'd pick the Steelers. They still should win...but how many times has that been said this year?
    If the Steelers manage to lose to Thaddeus Lewis and the hapless Browns with Big Ben and company pretty pissed off, I will have completed my Nostradamus of the year award. I predicted a 7-9 season at the very beginning of the year.