Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean you don't see the value but isn't that exactly what we have done for years to make sweet LeBeau's LB grouping among the best in the league. Aren't we paying something like $25M per season for our four LBs? Something like $16M plus for our two "great" OLBs to get a grand total of 9 sacks? That's the problem. We have been willing to invest for years on the defense and go bargain baement on offense and then we want to blame the offense for all of our faults. We need a much better OL. This is an offense first league not a defense first league. Our great #1 ranking is worthless.

You don't hesitate to criticize my views on players when you have just as much deeply rooted prejudices on your end of the spectrum. You look at any UDFA who makes the team and immediately create "folk hero" status about them like they should get a break just because they started out as a UDFA. Foster is a player on the OL we can do better than. He has to play against the same opposing talent whether he came to the team as a FA, UDFA or #1 pick. No matter what you say he isn't a dominant player and the standard for him isn't lower because he made it as an UDFA. He got ragdolled last week by Atkins and was driven back into the backfield repeatedly. Yes DeCastro did too but one was playing his second pro game and one was a three year vet and two year starter and the latter player is the one you want to make excuses for.

We'll never agree on a lot but that doesn't make either one of us right or wrong.
    I congratulate you ovi, that's a lot of hyperbole for two paragraphs.

nowhere have I said foster is a "folk hero" only that he is a much better player than you give him credit for. You act like he is the sole reason for this offenses failure this year. I can assure you that there are much bigger issues than the RG spot. I'm certainly not making excuses for fosters play on sunday as he stunk right along with the two 1st round picks to his immediate right. My point is, and has always been, that I don't believe you need to have 1st round picks and probowlers at every position on the OL. I believe smarter playcalling and smarter QB play can solve a lot of problems this OL has. That, and staying healthy. They have 4 guys right now that were taken in the top 2 rounds within the last 3 years. That's plenty.

another 1st round OG seems like lunacy to me.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I congratulate you ovi, that's a lot of hyperbole for two paragraphs.

nowhere have I said foster is a "folk hero" only that he is a much better player than you give him credit for. You act like he is the sole reason for this offenses failure this year. I can assure you that there are much bigger issues than the RG spot. I'm certainly not making excuses for fosters play on sunday as he stunk right along with the two 1st round picks to his immediate right. My point is, and has always been, that I don't believe you need to have 1st round picks and probowlers at every position on the OL. I believe smarter playcalling and smarter QB play can solve a lot of problems this OL has. That, and staying healthy. They have 4 guys right now that were taken in the top 2 rounds within the last 3 years. That's plenty.

another 1st round OG seems like lunacy to me.
    Well, Foster was certainly getting his azz kicked this weekend along with everyone else. Though we do agree about the no guard in the first round bit. It is a very deep draft for guard and one can be had later in the draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no problem admitting foster played poorly on sunday.

he has played well this season, overall IMO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

no problem admitting foster played poorly on sunday.

he has played well this season, overall IMO.
    He's a very average guard. So is Colon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He's a very average guard. So is Colon.
    yeah, maybe.

but colon is much more expensive as was kemo the year before, but we never heard the outcry like we do with ovi about foster.

foster has been good value for this team no matter if some will ever admit it or not.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

yeah, maybe.

but colon is much expensive as was kemo the year before, but we never heard the outcry like we do with ovi about foster.

foster has been good value for this team no matter if some will ever admit it or not.
    Hell yeah he's been good value. He was an UDFA. To get any starts out of him is a good value. Doesn't mean we should sign him back to the team.

Colon is a little better than Foster and we can't really save much money cutting Colon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

that's probably going to be the difference, I agree.

ovi will need a new whipping boy next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm personally hoping for a starting OL next season of:

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert/Adams/Beachum
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'm personally hoping for a starting OL next season of:

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert/Adams/Beachum
    What to do when Colon goes down with another season ending injury? Who replaces him? A draft pick?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    What to do when Colon goes down with another season ending injury? Who replaces him? A draft pick?
    maybe Legursky moves to center and Pouncey slides to LG again.

perhaps the loser of the RT battle, someone like Beachum who has actually showed a lot of potential.

or we sign a low-level FA or a draft pick.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha