Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Manti Te'o but I don't think he is the best LB in this draft.

I think that honor would go to Jarvis Jones (Georgia).
    Agreed but he more than likely goes top 5 if not number 1 overall.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He's a OLB. What is your definition of "true" LB?

EDIT: I didn't see the 'I' in 'ILB' in this thread title
    Not only that but Georgia plays a 3-4 just like the Steelers. Not sure why Rob thinks he isnt a true LB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Not only that but Georgia plays a 3-4 just like the Steelers. Not sure why Rob thinks he isnt a true LB.
    3-4 OLB'ers are rush ends. They are not considered pure Linebackers. They are "Tweeners". Jarvis Jones is NOT a pure linebacker. He is a pass rusher first.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He's a rush end. He's not a WLB,MLB/ILB, or a SLB.
    Dont agree. He does drop in coverage. Regardless, 12.5 sacks with 22.5 TFL's and 7 FF's, he is a big time play maker. And his 77 overall tackles shows he is more than just a rush end.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dont agree. He does drop in coverage. Regardless, 12.5 sacks with 22.5 TFL's and 7 FF's, he is a big time play maker. And his 77 overall tackles shows he is more than just a rush end.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    It is also quite possible to get impact players in the 2nd. Hence my posting of Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner this year.

Many more examples are available. Lofa Tatupu in 2005 anyone?
    None of which play in a 3-4 or had to change positions in the pros. Big difference.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He can cover as well. He's a playmaker and we need playmakers in a bad way. Jones needs to bulk up a bit. At 6-2, he's 242.

Either way, I'd take Teo or Jones.
    You are right on with this steelz09. And I'd take Jones or Te'o too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    According to many draft sites, Teo is gone by the 5th pick. I don't see the Steelers trading that far up for the guy.
    Time to move on with a more realistic pick.
    Maybe so, but with QB being the premium position every year teams reach high (often too high), on QB out of desperation. Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will play a huge roll in many players dropping that shouldn't have. I personally think if Te'o gets past the Buffalo Bills (who have a ton of other needs), he will more than likely be draft anywhere from 10-14.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

None of which play in a 3-4 or had to change positions in the pros. Big difference.
    Gods Be Damned its laughable how many people think its some mythical transformation to play in the 3-4 versus the 4-3. Its a much harder transition for 3-4 OLB than it is for the 3-4 ILB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Doesn't make him a traditional Linebacker period. Traditional Linebackers primary role is not to rush the passer. That WAS Jones' primary role as well as setting the edge in the run game.

Don't get me wrong. I would take Jarvis Jones in a hot minute. Especially over Te'o.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe so, but with QB being the premium position every year teams reach high (often too high), on QB out of desperation. Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will play a huge roll in many players dropping that shouldn't have. I personally think if Te'o gets past the Buffalo Bills (who have a ton of other needs), he will more than likely be draft anywhere from 10-14.
    He's not going to slide anymore than Kuechly did. That doesn't mean we should be selecting an ILB that high. Just my personal opinion of course.