Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381

    Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

    No need to spend a high 1st round pick on an ILB or 4-3 LB. Their are future pro-bowlers are these positions in the 2nd round and beyond.

    Bobby Wagner, MLB, Seattle. After starting the year with Wagner in a two-down role (the Seahawks initially took him out on passing downs), Seattle realized by Week 5 this was a waste of his all-round ability. Since then he's missed only six snaps, excepting when he was allowed to rest during garbage time of the recent blowouts of Arizona and Buffalo.
    His primary job, though, is still run defense, and in that regard he couldn't have done better than his first ranked position in run-stop percentage (a metric that looks at tackles made in the running game that constitute a defeat for the offense), edging Derrick Johnson and NaVorro Bowman among middle linebackers.
    He has not been outstanding in coverage, but has made few major errors and never looks out of place. His 0.88 yards allowed per coverage snap through Week 15 ranks him 21st among 48 qualifying inside linebackers, and while he has allowed two touchdowns he has also made three interceptions. Detractors may point to him being quieter in the last half of the season (the Arizona game aside), but he's never played poorly.


    Read More:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121224/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-week-16/#ixzz2GHYJQNsy
    Lavonte David, OLB, Tampa Bay. A full-time starter from day one, David hasn't missed a single snap since Week 6. Like Wagner, he also leads his position (4-3 outside linebackers) in run stop percentage and has a particular penchant for making tackles for loss, where his 17, not including sacks, leads the league, just ahead of J.J. Watt. The bottom line here is that he is a very high quality run defender who loves to attack. Like Wagner, his coverage skills are average. However, he has allowed five touchdowns while picking up only one interception, which doesn't stand in his favor.

    Another difference is that David is used to blitz much more frequently (23 percent of passing plays compared to 10 percent for Wagner) and while he has at least hurried the quarterback 18 times, statistically this isn't a good reward for 143 blitzes.



    Read More:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121224/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-week-16/#ixzz2GHYVxdaD

  2. #2
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,396
    I would take Manti Te'o if he was available when we select in Round 1.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Hear we go again......straight rolly eyes.

    I am all for taking the best player available on the board. This team has a lot of needs..but if Manti Te'o is there I take him in a heart beat.

    Those LB's you named above are the exception to the rule. That is not the norm in the NFL and they are both 4-3 LB's who would not fit in a 3-4 zone blitz. That makes a huge difference. Do you recall the last second round LB the Steelers drafted? A guy who had actually played in a 3-4 at times in college? How much did you get out of him in year one?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Hear we go again......straight rolly eyes.

    I am all for taking the best player available on the board. This team has a lot of needs..but if Manti Te'o is there I take him in a heart beat.

    Those LB's you named above are the exception to the rule. That is not the norm in the NFL and they are both 4-3 LB's who would not fit in a 3-4 zone blitz. That makes a huge difference. Do you recall the last second round LB the Steelers drafted? A guy who had actually played in a 3-4 at times in college? How much did you get out of him in year one?
    Heard of Sean Lee? Was he an exception to the rule? How about Navarrow Bowman?

    Fact is that ILB is not as crucial a position as it once was. This is a passing league and there is often only one ILB on the field at a time. We already have one stud ILB that plays in passing situations. We don't need to waste a high pick on another one.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Heard of Sean Lee? Was he an exception to the rule? How about Navarrow Bowman?

    Fact is that ILB is not as crucial a position as it once was. This is a passing league and there is often only one ILB on the field at a time. We already have one stud ILB that plays in passing situations. We don't need to waste a high pick on another one.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute. We are talking about second round picks who came into the league and made an impact their first year. Neither Lee or Bowman did much in their first year in the league.

    Rob can we at least keep this discussion the same without changing it?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute. We are talking about second round picks who came into the league and made an impact their first year. Neither Lee or Bowman did much in their first year in the league.

    Rob can we at least keep this discussion the same without changing it?
    This wasn't about year one impact. Never said this discussion was about year one impact. This was about drafting players for the long term. Please stop with the year one impact thing. That is short sighted draft strategy. The Steelers draft for the long term, not the short term.

    Uhh No, I am saying you don't need to draft ILB in round one to get pro bowl players. ILB has become a 2nd round position.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    ...
    Fact is that ILB is not as crucial a position as it once was. This is a passing league and there is often only one ILB on the field at a time. We already have one stud ILB that plays in passing situations. We don't need to waste a high pick on another one.
    So you are saying that adding Te'o to play next to Timmons wouldn't improve the Steelers? That by doing so would be a waste of a pick?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So you are saying that adding Te'o to play next to Timmons wouldn't improve the Steelers? That by doing so would be a waste of a pick?
    Defenses are changing, your not going to stay in your base defense all game long. So who sits when the Steelers go into their Nickel looks? Te'o or Timmons?

    Why draft a player that high who is going to be standing on the sidelines?

    Much rather have LT,CB,S, or a Pass Rusher in the first round.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    One LB that is interesting touch adman is Stanford's Chase Thomas- a smart LB that could be a useful 'switch' LB- either an ILB or OLB, depending on need. Right now, the Steelers don't know what they have in OLB Worilds or ILB Spence. Adding a guy like Thomas covers both spots.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  10. #10
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    One LB that is interesting touch adman is Stanford's Chase Thomas- a smart LB that could be a useful 'switch' LB- either an ILB or OLB, depending on need. Right now, the Steelers don't know what they have in OLB Worilds or ILB Spence. Adding a guy like Thomas covers both spots.
    Only thing I see is that they could have more spots at ILB if Foote and B Johnson leave compared to just Harrison if he gets cut. There is no real depth behind Foote so I think you have to take a real ILB that has the ability to help early.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •