Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cap will be 121 Million dollars

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't remember if that accounts for the RFA tenders and incentives likely to be earned.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting... If the Steelers need to save cap space, signing guys like Charlie Batch and Plaxico might not be that bad an idea- both could be had close the vet minimum at this point, and could be cheaper options than the guys they'd replace on the roster- Leftwich and Wallace.
    pThey could be cheap, valuable fill-ins until some younger players (probably from this next draft class) replace them. Burress could even allow the Steelers to release Cotchery, saving another million.

It might not be ideal, but given the cap situation, it could provide good value.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Administrator

User Info Menu

Bye bye list:

Hampton
    Suisham
    Colon (I wish but I guess it won't help us in regards to next years cap)
    Foote
    Wallace

Excluding Colon, losing the above will be a savings of 13 mil. Harrison might be a tough cut but that would get us to ~ 22 million. A few re-structures / extensions and we'll be where we need to be.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

That list isn't entirely correct. Baron Batch, for example, is only a second year player. He would be an EFA, not an UFA...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Bye bye list:

Hampton
    Suisham
    Colon (I wish but I guess it won't help us in regards to next years cap)
    Foote
    Wallace

Excluding Colon, losing the above will be a savings of 13 mil. Harrison might be a tough cut but that would get us to ~ 22 million. A few re-structures / extensions and we'll be where we need to be.
    I won't be surprised if we bring back Hampton. Remember he was coming off a major injury and he played better in the second half. It's not like he has to be that mobile. He just has to be big, strong, and immovable. Older guys get old man strength sometimes. I think he might be able to contribute until we find a replacement which Im not sure we have yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Depends. On what it truly would save us to cut people. I think we will go from being old to young in one offseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Interesting... If the Steelers need to save cap space, signing guys like Charlie Batch and Plaxico might not be that bad an idea- both could be had close the vet minimum at this point, and could be cheaper options than the guys they'd replace on the roster- Leftwich and Wallace.
    pThey could be cheap, valuable fill-ins until some younger players (probably from this next draft class) replace them. Burress could even allow the Steelers to release Cotchery, saving another million.

It might not be ideal, but given the cap situation, it could provide good value.
    Plax could even dress and be used as a red zone target

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That list isn't entirely correct. Baron Batch, for example, is only a second year player. He would be an EFA, not an UFA...
    Yep this is true.

Legend

User Info Menu

"With the Steelers projected to be around $12 million over the salary cap at year‘s end, they could have a hard time justifying handing out big money to veterans such as Hampton and Starks." - this was posted in an article in the Pgh tribune yesterder, 12/26/12. What's the story with the cap number? Is it 12 million or is it really going to be well over $20? Is this really that hard to figure out or is the Trib just using a number that's been thrown around w/o doing any research and the $20 + number is a lot more realistic?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "With the Steelers projected to be around $12 million over the salary cap at year‘s end, they could have a hard time justifying handing out big money to veterans such as Hampton and Starks." - this was posted in an article in the Pgh tribune yesterder, 12/26/12. What's the story with the cap number? Is it 12 million or is it really going to be well over $20? Is this really that hard to figure out or is the Trib just using a number that's been thrown around w/o doing any research and the $20 + number is a lot more realistic?
    I don't think anyone knows for sure right now. The cap is going to be flat, but there is a thing called "Likely to be earned incentives" that can affect each players cap figure. The 12 million dollar figure as far as I know does not include all of the restricted tags that must be placed and added to the cap figure. It will probably come in somewhere around 15 to 20 million over the cap.