Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad was the OL in the last game?

Legend

User Info Menu

How bad was the OL in the last game?

per PFF:

The Steelers weren’t struggling with blitz pickups when Ben Roethlisberger was taking sacks. All four of the Bengals’ sacks came against a base pass rush.
    quite damning. but maybe doesn't tell the whole story.... maybe Ben holding the ball too long, WRs not getting open sooner.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    per PFF:

quite damning. but maybe doesn't tell the whole story.... maybe Ben holding the ball too long, WRs not getting open sooner.
    Or a good 4-3 defense is difficult to stop when all four linemen are committed to getting the QB and not playing games occupying blockers. I bet none of the Bumgals DL were told to "occupy blockers."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Or a good 4-3 defense is difficult to stop when all four linemen are committed to getting the QB and not playing games occupying blockers. I bet none of the Bumgals DL were told to "occupy blockers."
    Way to turn a thread asking a question about our OL play into yet another anti-LeBeau rant. Perhaps you could have included an analysis of how poor the Bengal DL was when LeBeau was coaching in Cincy and they were doing nothing but occupying blockers on every play.

But to answer the O.P.'s question, I'm not overly concerned about our OL's play in that game. It was DeCastro's first NFL start (with a rookie 7th round guard playing RT next to him) and Foster was playing out of position as well. The Bengals were leading the NFL in sacks coming into that game (the Broncos have since overtaken them by 1, since Denver had 6 sacks last weekend against Cleveland compared to Cincy's 4 sacks against us), so I'm not shocked that we gave up sacks against a team who is excellent rushing the passer.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 12-27-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought the OLine played good enough to win. I think Foster was one of the only guys I noticed getting beat physically. I think there were just a few mental issues with new guys and communication and knowing who to block.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I thought the OLine played good enough to win. I think Foster was one of the only guys I noticed getting beat physically. I think there were just a few mental issues with new guys and communication and knowing who to block.
    you must have missed 66 then, because he was whipped repeatedly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    you must have missed 66 then, because he was whipped repeatedly.
    When I noticed him, he looked fine. And when I noticed him making a mistake, it was because he was looking the wrong way or taking a wrong step. I'd be more concerned if I saw him being manhandled every play.

But I have to admit, it's impossible to see everything so who knows what was happening when I wasn't focused on him. We should divy up all the players amongst board members and give everyone the assignment to focus in on 1 player and notice everything he does.

I try to watch a particular guy for a series at a time. But I switch it up all the time. Sometimes I get so caught up in watching certain players, I lose track of the ball. I like doing this even moreso at the game where you can see the whole picture which you don't always get on tv.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I record and go back and rewatch the OL usually.

the interior stunk, pouncey included.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea, well that Bengal DT is only the best in the entire NFL. Shame on them for having trouble blocking the best at his position. What turds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Your assessment seems to have a supporter:

Playing defense for the Cincinnati Bengals tends to be an unglamorous pursuit that doesn’t get you much in the way of kudos. Yet with another astonishing performance, this time in a pivotal game, Geno Atkins (+9.6) is making it really tough for people to ignore him as a Defensive Player of the Year candidate. This has been a season of astonishing individual defensive performances, but as much as J.J. Watt and Aldon Smith are stealing the national spotlight, there should be a lot of column inches reserved for the play of Atkins. In the first encounter between these two teams Atkins was solid (+1.5), if unspectacular by his own exceptional standards in 2012. This week he made amends for that by simply proving to be utterly unblockable for the Pittsburgh interior, no matter what combination of David DeCastro, Maurkice Pouncey or Ramon Foster was trying to block him. In the pass game he was relentless in getting after Roethlisberger for four sacks, and he contributed a further three tackles in run defense as he shoved around linemen and redirected runs at will. Even when Steeler linemen seemingly had a good block on him he would work the block so hard the Steelers’ running back had to fight to get any of the yardage the block had initially given him. If a performance like this doesn’t get Atkins national attention then you start to wonder if he ever will. We can only hope he does, Atkins is one of a trio of players who are rewriting the PFF record books with a simply astonishing season of play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Any thoughts on Beachum?

I expected the interior to play bad considering you've got 2 guys in new positions around pouncey and the Bengals DLine is good. I actually thought there was a little improvement vs the Chargers game. And the Chargers aren't that good.

I have to admit, it does feel a little disjointed watching guys play together who aren't used to playing beside each other. I like when we get some harmony going. I thought when we had Max - Colon - Pouncey - Foster - Adams upfront, we started to get some cohesion around the Redskins game.