Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben takes blame for collapse

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    DD, the no. 1 draft pick, was beaten like a ragdoll for most of the game by a 4th rd DT. Yes, he is very inexperienced but I expected a little more based on the pre/post draft hype on the guy. The Steelers need better play from the picks they already have, or cull the dead wood and move on.
    You expected him to do what against the best 4-3 DT in the league? You apparently don't know much about Geno Atkins. This guy is a pure monster.

DD was playing in his second PRO game after coming off a season long knee injury.

You don't think you expectations were a little off? That's a little delusional.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many rings does Boomer Esiason have?

Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012
    By Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent

Ex-Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason criticized Ben Roethlisberger.

That’s like France criticizing Germany for lack of military acumen. Even if a valid point gets made, the track records simply can’t be ignored.

Esiason labeled Roethlisberger a “drama queen” because of his reputation, deserved or not, for embellishing injuries.

What’s that matter as long as Roethlisberger plays and produces?

There’s no denying it was a difficult year for the Steelers’ QB. A rough finish despite three touchdown passes in Sunday's meaningless home victory against Cleveland.

A potential MVP season collapsed because of injury. Roethlisberger missed three games and wasn’t the same when he returned, donning goat’s horns for losses to Dallas and Cincinnati, the latter destroying the Steelers’ playoff hopes.

Criticism of Roethlisberger is warranted. He’d be the first to agree. Despite solid personal stats, 8-8 doesn’t lie. Roethlisberger’s two-minute touch abandoned him.

But when detractors scorn Roethlisberger, he doesn’t get the same respect accorded others of his accomplishment level. If Tom Brady has been criticized with the same venom Roethlisberger too often absorbs, I haven’t heard about it.

Roethlisberger is a two-time Super Bowl winner. He is a three-time Super Bowl participant. He engineered a two-minute drill to win Super Bowl XLIII. Brady has won three Super Bowls, but lost two. Nobody’s perfect.

Critics cite supposed imperfections in Roethlisberger’s style. He needs to tweak his game, we’re told. Steelers president Art Rooney II drew upon his vast playing and coaching experience to make that pronouncement.

What, exactly, does Roethlisberger need to tweak? This year, he got rid of the ball quicker. He threw the ball away more. He took shorter drops.

The result: Roethlisberger still got hurt, and the Steelers went 8-8.

Maybe Roethlisberger’s game was fine just the way it was. No tweak needed.

The Steelers are the only team in the NFL that would dumb down a top five quarterback. Yinzer Nation is the only fan base stupid enough to accept it.

Let’s examine the reason for that: The Steelers, and Steelers fans, have never really forgiven Roethlisberger for the transgressions alleged in Georgia and Nevada.

Evidence was flimsy. No charges were filed. But franchise-wise and fan-wise, the attitude toward Roethlisberger has never been the same. Ownership doesn’t want Roethlisberger (or anyone) to be bigger than the logo or the family. Never did. Fans believe Roethlisberger soiled the team’s squeaky-clean image.

That’s insanity, of course. James Harrison got convicted of domestic abuse, and he’s a Heinz Field hero. Alameda Ta’amu put bystanders and police at risk by driving drunk through Pittsburgh’s South Side, but he’s still on the roster. The Steelers haven’t been holier than thou since Ernie Holmes shot at a police helicopter in 1973, yet played five more seasons in Pittsburgh.

Thirteen men started at QB for the Steelers between their fourth and fifth Super Bowl wins. If you want to hate quarterbacks, hate those quarterbacks.

During his anti-Ben rant, Esiason listed the NFL’s top four QBs (Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees), which certainly delivers a message via Roethlisberger’s omission. Esiason also said that Roethlisberger “has to be a man,” and “not just on Sunday.”

What does that mean? I honestly have no clue.

Esiason seemed most annoyed by Roethlisberger pronouncing that his broken ribs threatened his aorta and thus his life, saying that “everybody across the NFL rolled his eyes.” The Steelers’ doctors didn’t roll their eyes, however. But if Todd Haley can coach football without having played it, I suppose Esiason can pretend to be a physician despite lack of a medical degree. Or a Super Bowl ring.

[URL="http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/how-many-rings-does-boomer-esiason-have/article_852c0b8d-da54-5b89-8e20-36044d7e876f.html"]http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...44d7e876f.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Amazing how feelings can change so suddenly. During the waning moments of the second half of yesterday's game as Ben was playing from the Steelers 20 yd line, I kept having this churning feeling that I didn't want to see him pass the ball and make another huge mistake like a pick 6 to get Cleveland back in the game. Just a short time ago, I WANTED Ben passing the ball because he was money. Now, not so much. I was quietly wishing we had a Jerome Bettis to finish out the game and spare us anymore last minute gaffes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not playing for overtime at the end of the 4th quarter at home vs Cincinnati was foolish, IMO, and a coaching error. No doubt in my perspective that Ben was significantly impaired by his serious injuries after he returned.

Boomer is a bitter, jealous, egotistical ex-QB with an axe to grind about the Steelers. His schadenfreude directed at Ben lacks both objectivity and grace.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow, that Madden article was really good. Spot on!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Not playing for overtime at the end of the 4th quarter at home vs Cincinnati was foolish, IMO, and a coaching error. No doubt in my perspective that Ben was significantly impaired by his serious injuries after he returned.

Boomer is a bitter, jealous, egotistical ex-QB with an axe to grind about the Steelers. His schadenfreude directed at Ben lacks both objectivity and grace.
    In fact, it was not a coaching error. Ben had Redman wide open underneath for an easy 1st down, and as others repeatedly have pointed out, Ben ignored him and looked for the pass down field. Obviously a QB error.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You expected him to do what against the best 4-3 DT in the league? You apparently don't know much about Geno Atkins. This guy is a pure monster.

DD was playing in his second PRO game after coming off a season long knee injury.

You don't think you expectations were a little off? That's a little delusional.
    -Atkins is a beast, I don't care when he was drafted. He is a monster.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In fact, it was not a coaching error. Ben had Redman wide open underneath for an easy 1st down, and as others repeatedly have pointed out, Ben ignored him and looked for the pass down field. Obviously a QB error.
    Bone head Ben makes moronic decisions all the time. I am sick of it

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't like Boomer, he's a jealous guy, a guy that believes he's more than he was. One thing I would like to say is this, Ben seems like his own worse enemy at times and a headcase. He has lost something I'd say.

Starter

User Info Menu

Boomer is just like all the other tv pundits. Whether they played the game or not, something about this role turns these guys into power worshippers and bandwagoners. Think he would be saying these things if Steelers had won the division on the strength of Ben's arm? Boomer's remarks say more about Boomer than they do about Ben.