Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Bowl: Congrats to Pouncey and Heath Miller

Legend

User Info Menu

Heath deserved it for sure. He's the #2 TE in the AFC behind Gronk.

Some say that the wrong Pouncey brother made it, but I haven't seen enough of Mike in Miami this season to make that determination.

Suisham was solid this season (27-30), but old man Dawson has been better (28-29), so no argument there from me.

Ben was making an argument for a Pro Bowl berth in the first half of the season, but missing a month and then struggling afterward sank that ship.

The only players who stepped up for us on defense this year were Clark and Timmons, and you can make an argument that either of those guys might be as deserving or moreso than a couple of players from the Chiefs sucktastic defense (how does the worst team in the league get 5 Pro Bowlers?). Clark had 93 tackles, 7 passes defensed, 2 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles, compared to Eric Berry's 80 tackes, 10 passes defensed, 1 interception, and no forced fumbles. Timmons had 100 tackles, 4 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 3 interceptions, and 1 forced fumble compared to Derrick Johnson's 119 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 passes defensed, no interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

I highly doubt anyone else came close in the voting.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I highly doubt anyone else came close in the voting.
    I doubt it as well. Although additional kudos to Lewis, Cortez, Ike, Foote who had better years than expected. We really had some guys step up with the injuries, retirements, etc. Would anyone expect this defense to play so good without a healthy Casey, Deebo, Troy, Woodley, and a missing Smith, Farrior, and Hoke?

Dick Lebeau might have put together his best coaching performance in his career this season. And given how good the DBs played this year without Troy or a pass rush, we might have the next great coach on our hands in Carnell Lake. Out of nowhere, the weakness on our D became our strength even without the unit's best player.

Backup

User Info Menu

Congrats to the both of them....They both had great years...

Here is what PFF says about the Mike - Maurkice debate....

And so it was written. A Pouncey should enter the league and he would be one of the best centers around. Only the wrong Pouncey came into the league first and as such we’re now sick to death of hearing how Maurkice is not just better than Mike, but the best center in the league. He’s not, and it’s brutal to hear people blaspheming the OL Gods like such.

Maurkice is having, in our system, the best year of his career. He’s not a guy who makes a lot of mistakes and he’s been making some bigger contributions in the run game one-on-one. That said, he’s still only ranked 14th, while Mike is ranked equal fifth with Chris Myers. I understand being cautious over Ryan Wendell and his pass-blocking woes, and Nick Mangold hasn’t had his best year. But it really should have read Mike Pouncey when the votes were tallied.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I doubt it as well. Although additional kudos to Lewis, Cortez, Ike, Foote who had better years than expected. We really had some guys step up with the injuries, retirements, etc. Would anyone expect this defense to play so good without a healthy Casey, Deebo, Troy, Woodley, and a missing Smith, Farrior, and Hoke?

Dick Lebeau might have put together his best coaching performance in his career this season. And given how good the DBs played this year without Troy or a pass rush, we might have the next great coach on our hands in Carnell Lake. Out of nowhere, the weakness on our D became our strength even without the unit's best player.
    Lewis gets an honorable mention, and AB would also get a nod if not for some recent slip-ups.
    There are a few on this board that would have hard time agreeing with you (Ovi), but I happen to think the same as you. Once the defense settled in after the loss of Troy a reasonable person has to agree that they exceeded expectations. It is a rare occurrence when a DL defense appears completely unmatched in a game. It happens, yes, but it is rare.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Those are our only 2 probowlers? That kind of tells you were this team stands: not so good.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The only player that comes to mind, that might have deserved it, might be Timmons. But no major argument. Just a possible one.