Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin vs Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    So, Cowher was a lame duck his last year with a loaded team? Not buying it... Cowher struggled to get to a SB both times.. Tomlin, not so much. Cowher's teams also looked horrible on D in home AFCCGs.

Tomlin took over a good team.and won a SB 3 years later. Not bad...

All that being said I think we need to give Tomlin time to stink it up like Cowher and Noll did before comparing the 2.
    I think if COWHER's heart was still in it he would have won another Superbowl by now.
    I've always liked Tomlin but I have a few issues with him...but I agree. I'm not going to make a new screenname like "FireMikeTomlinNow" anytime soon....I really hope he continues to grow and learn on the job and don't wish for another bad season to justify getting rid of him. Sadly there are sick people who'd love to see 2 losing seasons just to say "I told you tomlin was no good!"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was just 1 year removed from winning the SB. And before we forget, Cowher was a lame duck coach - and he, and everyone else - knew that. You know how people who know they are leaving a job do their job? There is no question Cowher was on cruise control his last year, and that, plus having just won it all, made that team way worse record wise than their talent was.

Tomlin inherited:

Ben - franchise QB
    Parker - ProBowler
    Ward - PB
    Holmes - PB
    Miller
    Faneca - PB
    Marvel Smith
    Ryan Clark
    Polamalu - PB
    Harrison - PB
    Ike Taylor
    Farrior - PB
    Hamtpon - PB
    Aaron Smith
    Keisel
    TownsendI

Starting with a franchise QB on down, Tomlin took over a loaded team. Cowher inherited a good amount of decent players - some awesome, such as Woodson, Lake and Lloyd, - but did he really get gifted more talent than Tomlin? Just having a franchise QB alone tells me Tomlin started with the better team. For cripes sake, they were one year removed from winning it all! Cowher took over a team with a LOSING record and O'Donnell as the QB. Good luck winning with that.
    You name three player at the end of their career another that maybe played 8 games due to injury, One who played one season and another who Cowher would not start and compare them to players at the beginning of their career.
    Smith
    Faneca
    Harrison Farrior
    Townsend
    Parker and Marvell no comparison.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea, Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was just 1 year removed from winning the SB. And before we forget, Cowher was a lame duck coach - and he, and everyone else - knew that. You know how people who know they are leaving a job do their job? There is no question Cowher was on cruise control his last year, and that, plus having just won it all, made that team way worse record wise than their talent was.

Tomlin inherited:

Ben - franchise QB
    Parker - ProBowler
    Ward - PB
    Holmes - PB
    Miller
    Faneca - PB
    Marvel Smith
    Ryan Clark
    Polamalu - PB
    Harrison - PB
    Ike Taylor
    Farrior - PB
    Hamtpon - PB
    Aaron Smith
    Keisel
    Townsend

Starting with a franchise QB on down, Tomlin took over a loaded team. Cowher inherited a good amount of decent players - some awesome, such as Woodson, Lake and Lloyd, - but did he really get gifted more talent than Tomlin? Just having a franchise QB alone tells me Tomlin started with the better team. For cripes sake, they were one year removed from winning it all! Cowher took over a team with a LOSING record and O'Donnell as the QB. Good luck winning with that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ahhh, the no playoff debates among Steeler fans. I see an ugly off season brewing and I believe with every trouble or fault this 2013 team runs into, Tomlins ears should be burning.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin inherited:

Ben - franchise QB
    Parker - ProBowler
    Ward - PB
    Holmes - PB
    Miller
    Faneca - PB
    Marvel Smith
    Ryan Clark
    Polamalu - PB
    Harrison - PB
    Ike Taylor
    Farrior - PB
    Hamtpon - PB
    Aaron Smith
    Keisel
    Townsend

Lets not forget that COWHER TEAM went 6-2 to finish that season ... last game of the year they knocked the BUNGLES outta the playoffs.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Please. The talent Cowher inherited was just as good, if not better, than the talent Tomlin acquired...

Tomlin inherited a franchise QB? Sure...that may be how he matched Cowher's SB record of 1-1 in his first five years as opposed to 15 years...

How did puttin gthe bal into the hands of his franchise QB work out this year?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Please. The talent Cowher inherited was just as good, if not better, than the talent Tomlin acquired...

Tomlin inherited a franchise QB? Sure...that may be how he matched Cowher's SB record of 1-1 in his first five years as opposed to 15 years...

You mean the one who had an injury so bad it could have killed him? That one? Elway, Favre, Montana have had down years. And let's not forget the monkey sex play calling Ben had to try to win with. That FAIL rush/bubble screen 1st and 2nd down with obvious throwing on 3rd down is a real winner.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 12-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Ben was considered an MVP candidate before his injury.
    WHIZ inherited a Hall of Fame QB, ask him how he's doing now that he's gone???

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Ding, ding, ding, ding. Exactly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

I believe once Ben has retired the Rooneys should not even think about not making another QB a number one pick. The proof is in the Super Bowl wins.