Thread: Tomlin vs Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cowher received
    Woodson
    Lake
    Nickerson
    Loyld
    Dawson just to name a few changed to a different scheme that the league wasn't ready for and still couldn't win the Big One. But by compassion Cowher inherited more Pro Bowlers than Tomlin ever did. Noll was way past his time in the NFL but as far as talent its no comparison who got the best of the deal.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This team seems to lack discipline,attention to detail (technique such as carrying the ball high and tight, tackling as it appeared in the last few games at least), some game smarts (dumping off the ball rather than taking sacks, stupid penalties like we saw all year on STs), and physical fitness (all the big overweight OLs who get off-balance to easily for bull-rushers and can't keep themselves in front of speed rushers, get hurt too much, fall on their teammates, and probably lack stamina late in games so that our offense is less-effective when the game is on the line). I think coaching has alot to do with much of this. So does player commitment.

I hope the team leaders read this board and this thread. Yeah, we may be spoiled fans, but when I see a team play down to inferior competition and hear that some of them say "We're the Steelers" as if to say we are too good to lose, I think we may have some spoiled players, too.

We were a handful of plays away from being 12 - 4 again this year. We could have been better than that record too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Exactly my point. We were in the depths of suckatude when Cowher took over Noll's players. He turned things around and sat us back upright.
    Maybe we should create a co-GM position and make Cowher our co-GM

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Exactly my point. We were in the depths of suckatude when Cowher took over Noll's players. He turned things around and sat us back upright.
    Tomlin took over an 8-8 team and built them back into a SB force. It could be argued that he got more out of the same players. Also, many here are putting the draft picks on Tomlin for some reason. He is not the GM.

At the out-laws for Christmas yesterday my wife's family was marveling at Steeler fans that wan't Tomlin run out of town after one poor season. Fortunately, the Rooney's are smarter than that. Hopefully, they'll keep their noses out of things and let the team heal and correct.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Tomlin took over an 8-8 team and built them back into a SB force. It could be argued that he got more out of the same players. Also, many here are putting the draft picks on Tomlin for some reason. He is not the GM.

At the out-laws for Christmas yesterday my wife's family was marveling at Steeler fans that wan't Tomlin run out of town after one poor season. Fortunately, the Rooney's are smarter than that. Hopefully, they'll keep their noses out of things and let the team heal and correct.
    Yea, Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was just 1 year removed from winning the SB. And before we forget, Cowher was a lame duck coach - and he, and everyone else - knew that. You know how people who know they are leaving a job do their job? There is no question Cowher was on cruise control his last year, and that, plus having just won it all, made that team way worse record wise than their talent was.

Tomlin inherited:

Ben - franchise QB
    Parker - ProBowler
    Ward - PB
    Holmes - PB
    Miller
    Faneca - PB
    Marvel Smith
    Ryan Clark
    Polamalu - PB
    Harrison - PB
    Ike Taylor
    Farrior - PB
    Hamtpon - PB
    Aaron Smith
    Keisel
    Townsend

Starting with a franchise QB on down, Tomlin took over a loaded team. Cowher inherited a good amount of decent players - some awesome, such as Woodson, Lake and Lloyd, - but did he really get gifted more talent than Tomlin? Just having a franchise QB alone tells me Tomlin started with the better team. For cripes sake, they were one year removed from winning it all! Cowher took over a team with a LOSING record and O'Donnell as the QB. Good luck winning with that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yea, Tomlin took over an 8-8 team that was just 1 year removed from winning the SB. And before we forget, Cowher was a lame duck coach - and he, and everyone else - knew that. You know how people who know they are leaving a job do their job? There is no question Cowher was on cruise control his last year, and that, plus having just won it all, made that team way worse record wise than their talent was.
    The standard is the standard. The fact is that Cowher took a SB winning team with a weak schedule and barely made .500. Besides, if it were up to Cowher we would never have gotten Ben in the first place.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And we've become as ridiculous as Fox News on this board
    This board is as messed up as the Corporate Fox/MSNBC/CNN debacle we call "News"??

oh by the way. Steelhere blocked me b/c i called out his 'tard filled postings!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The standard is the standard. The fact is that Cowher took a SB winning team with a weak schedule and barely made .500. Besides, if it were up to Cowher we would never have gotten Ben in the first place.
    I agree about Cowher and Ben. But Cowher knew he wasn't coming back in the 2006 season and so did all the players. That is a recipe for FAIL. He didn't give it full effort or focus and neither did the team. Tomlin basically took over the same team that won the Super Bowl. Hard to argue that he didn't inherit a boat load of talent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Cowher received
    Woodson
    Lake
    Nickerson
    Loyld
    Dawson just to name a few changed to a different scheme that the league wasn't ready for and still couldn't win the Big One. But by compassion Cowher inherited more Pro Bowlers than Tomlin ever did. Noll was way past his time in the NFL but as far as talent its no comparison who got the best of the deal.
    Man is this guy a TOOL or what!! WOW, what a DORK!!!

Ever heard of:
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Willie Parker
    Hines Ward
    James Harrison
    James Farrior
    Casey Hampton
    Troy Polamalu
    Aaron Smith
    Alan Faneca

PLUS Nickerson, Lake & Lloyd were ProBowler's AFTER Cowher.

I know this GEEK has me blocked, so someone please tell him of his 911th dumb post on here!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

So, Cowher was a lame duck his last year with a loaded team? Not buying it... Cowher struggled to get to a SB both times.. Tomlin, not so much. Cowher's teams also looked horrible on D in home AFCCGs.

Tomlin took over a good team.and won a SB 3 years later. Not bad...

All that being said I think we need to give Tomlin time to stink it up like Cowher and Noll did before comparing the 2.