Thread: Ben taking a sack.......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben taking a sack.......

I totally forgot about this until I saw a picture of CORTEZ ALLEN returning an INT.

I believe you MUST score points off a T.O.!! Or at least regain dominant field position at worst.

3rd down in FG range and BEN gets sacked. I'm a firm believer a coach must make it a point to get rid of the ball quickly in that situation. Instead BEN took a sack and we were out of FG range. THEN Bulter decides to sail one into the endzone gaining up 17 net yards. That was the point of the game i knew we were in trouble.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Blame Ben... a coach cant throw the ball for Ben. I also blame the fans who laugh at QB's who recognize a play is over and tosses the ball at a players feet like a wimp.

I know Bens style is responsible for some amazing whodini plays but those are rare and too many times we see Ben taking these kinds of sacks. OL is also at fault but in a close game where every point is valuable you have to give the kicker a chance.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Ben just did not have what he had early in season pre injury. Early on he would hit the swing back when in trouble or at least try to get them the ball. To me it almost seemed like he was trying to show that street ball is how he suppose to win not some play he did not design. Like he wanted to say look we only win or lose when I make the calls. So feeling the way he may have felt he just held on longer like he has done previously with BA. Now a few sacks or one for sure was on DD was just beat and he was just blocking to soft (IMO). But I feel Ben wanted to win his way only and so be it, it backfired. Thus the apology to all in locker room, again no Sherlock evidence just opinion. Happy Holidays

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I blame both. But a playcall there should be for a set play to get rid of the ball for the situation.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben will rarely give up on a play and you can determine if that's good or bad. I've said this many times and I'll repeat it again. Steeler football has never been this exciting as it has with Ben at quarterback. For as maddening as he can be there's something about his swagger and determination to make every play succeed that makes watching Steeler football better than it has ever been. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't the last two weeks it hasn't worked and that's too bad, because now the Steelers have one more game and then they get to watch like the rest of us.

It will be a long wait to August, but another season will come and expectations will be high again, because we'll all be giddy with the excitement of a new season and a new hope, right now it sucks.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    I think Ben just did not have what he had early in season pre injury. Early on he would hit the swing back when in trouble or at least try to get them the ball. To me it almost seemed like he was trying to show that street ball is how he suppose to win not some play he did not design. Like he wanted to say look we only win or lose when I make the calls. So feeling the way he may have felt he just held on longer like he has done previously with BA. Now a few sacks or one for sure was on DD was just beat and he was just blocking to soft (IMO). But I feel Ben wanted to win his way only and so be it, it backfired. Thus the apology to all in locker room, again no Sherlock evidence just opinion. Happy Holidays
    This is a huge point that bears repeating.

This is why I do not blame Haley.

Early in the season Ben took what the defense gave him even if it was 5 or six yards. He got hit less, his numbers were great. Fans were talking MVP and we were winning for the most part.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher