Thread: Let's be honest

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's be honest

It doesn't matter what "offensive system" Ben is in, we only get any significant progress when they go all back yard football. Good or bad, that's where we still stand. It's the only time we get progress. Running game is a joke.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It doesn't matter what "offensive system" Ben is in, we only get any significant progress when they go all back yard football. Good or bad, that's where we still stand. It's the only time we get progress. Running game is a joke.
    He was putting up great numbers before the injury. Seeing as everyone wants to dance the "Mayan Calender" salsa a thread should be started documenting all the injuries this season. We should also add in all the fumbles and things look a whole hell of a lot worse than they really are. Ben was fine in the Haley system. The team couldn't stay healthy and had a hold on to the ball problem. Eliminate those two things are we're in the hunt. Period.
    Last edited by Snatch98; 12-25-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    He was putting up great numbers before the injury. Seeing as everyone wants to dance the "Mayan Calender" salsa a thread should be started documenting all the injuries this season. We should also add in all the fumbles and things look a whole hell of a lot worse than they really are. Ben was fine in the Haley system. The team couldn't stay healthy and had a hold on to the ball problem. Eliminate those two things are we're in the hunt. Period.
    I don't know. Look at the 3rd down stats, especially prior to his injury. The announcers were always raving about how great Ben and the Steelers offense was on third downs. And guess what typically those downs entailed? Ben playing back yard football. It's still the only way this team typically makes progress. Generally speaking, we can't rush the ball, other than that stretch of 3 games - Cinic, Skins and NYG, if I recall correctly. We can't run, we don't run successful screens to backs for the most part. It leaves us with Ben just going back and winging it. I really don't perceive much difference between how this O looks under Arians or Haley. I believe the injury subject is somewhat relative, but not a total explanation, at all. Injuries or no, can't rush the ball, and we are reliant of Ben having to go all back yard on 3rd down, or at the end of the first half or game. It's really all we got, and it turned out to not be enough. This team is an embarrassingly 26th in rushing offense. That is nothing short of pathetic, for a team that prioritizes the run as much as it does.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know. Look at the 3rd down stats, especially prior to his injury. The announcers were always raving about how great Ben and the Steelers offense was on third downs. And guess what typically those downs entailed? Ben playing back yard football. It's still the only way this team typically makes progress.
    Actually Ben did more checking down than ever, making quick third down throw sat the sticks, dumping it off to RBs and tight ends before the heat got to him.
    That is how Heath had a career year. First time Heath was targeted over 100 times.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-25-2012 at 05:17 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Actually Ben did more checking down than ever, making quick throws at the sticks, dumping it off to RBs and tight ends before the heat got to him.
    That is how Heath had a career year. First time Heath was targeted over 100 times.
    Yea, there was more of that quick stuff, but when push came to shove, we went back to the back yard Ben mode. Look at his games since he has been back - lots more of Ben trying to buy time and receivers break their routes to try to get open. Same old thing. New OC, new play book, same old back yard Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yea, there was more of that quick stuff, but when push came to shove, we went back to the back yard Ben mode. Look at his games since he has been back - lots more of Ben trying to buy time and receivers break their routes to try to get open. Same old thing. New OC, new play book, same old back yard Ben.
    EXACTLY LD.
    "Games since he has been back".

Three games ALL losses
    double digit sacks
    5 ints (two pick six's)

Ben has had MORE INTs in the last three games than THE ENTIRE SEASON pre injury.

When Ben played the game as Haley wanted, there were fewer sacks, less ints.

That guy..... the one that a 17 to 4 TD/int ratio.....he sweeps these last three games EASY walk into the playoffs.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder if Ben is the problem... maybe he was afraid an mvp season with Haley would force him to play a style he loathes for the rest of his career.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    EXACTLY LD.
    "Games since he has been back".

Three games ALL losses
    double digit sacks
    5 ints (two pick six's)

Ben has had MORE INTs in the last three games than THE ENTIRE SEASON pre injury.

When Ben played the game as Haley wanted, there were fewer sacks, less ints.

That guy..... the one that a 17 to 4 TD/int ratio.....he sweeps these last three games EASY walk into the playoffs.
    So the question is: Was he still hurt or did he just get sloppy mentally? I think it's the later.