Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: So easy to blame, So hard to face facts

  1. #1

    So easy to blame, So hard to face facts

    Every year that goes by, theres always that thought in a fans head saying "what was the reason we didnt win the Super Bowl this year?" and it usually ends up in the blame of thinking that our coordinator sucks, we got screwed by the refs, our head coach isnt that good, our line stinks, our defense is aging. Ive been hearing it all the past couple years. Whenever there isnt a Super Bowl victory, there is always a barrage of the blame game blaming someone or something for the failure of the season. What baffles me is why is it that some fans just can't face facts of reality.

    It almost seems that no matter what, some fans think that we are superior to every team in the NFL every year and that we should be expected to beat everyone and if we dont, theres always a reason behind it other than the other team just being better than us. This year as painful as it was, im going to face reality and just say we arent the best team in the NFL and didnt deserve to make it to the playoffs. I can think of a handful of teams that were just flat out better than us this year. Im not going to blame it on the coordinator, coach, o-line, etc. Its easy to make excuses. Im sorry to say but the Pittsburgh Steelers cannot be the best team in the NFL every year. Do they have extreme talent? Did they underachieve? Ofcourse. Were they the best team? Im afraid to say we were not. There were alot of teams that were just flat out better this year.

    im hearing most of the blame on the coaches and its fair at times but to an extent. Coaches can only do so much and put us in a position to win. Did our coaches throw a pick-six for a touchdown last game? Throw an ill-evised interception late in the game that should never of been thrown by a veteran pro-bowl qb like we have late in the game? Did they give up a pass late in the last minute to secure the team a game winning fg?

    Was it their fault Mike Wallace dropped deep balls this year? That our line gave up sacks like nothing? That our best defensive player was banged up most of the year? That our running back had attitude problems? That Emmanul Sanders couldnt hold on to the ball with no one even touching him on a breakaway> That they gave uo the ball 9 times to the Browns?......ok you get my point by now

    The point is there is only so much blame you can put on the coaches. This team just flat out had a bad year, underachieved, and was not the best team in the NFL. I know the blame is usually shedded out to someone and its easiest to blame the coaches but lets just try to face reality.

    I truly believe we will have a comback season next year and play anger and hopefully make a run in the post-season and get that number 7.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Yo, Blitz, I agree with most of your points. But the coaches are not blameless. It seemed that they lost the team to some extent. For whatever reason - and we can only speculate - they were not unified.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yo, Blitz, I agree with most of your points. But the coaches are not blameless. It seemed that they lost the team to some extent. For whatever reason - and we can only speculate - they were not unified.
    How did it seem like the coaches lost the team? The players appeared to play hard. The team had a chance to win almost every game this season. Mistakes by the players on the field cost this team a chance to win most games. Coaches generally can't over come mistakes players make on the field.

  4. #4
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,988
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    How did it seem like the coaches lost the team? The players appeared to play hard. The team had a chance to win almost every game this season. Mistakes by the players on the field cost this team a chance to win most games. Coaches generally can't over come mistakes players make on the field.
    This is where I'm at with this year's team. Save for Wallace a couple times this version of the Steelers answered the bell every game and played hard. No one wanted to lose games or make mistakes that cost the team games, actually, contrary to that it seemed at times that players were trying to do too much and in doing so mistakes were made. The good news for the fans is that we aren't the ones running the team and the professionals in the front office are the ones running the team.

    If the Steelers took the advice of this board at one time or another Tomlin would be fired, Haley is worse that Arians and should be let go (this is poetic justice of a sorts), Lebeau would have retired and the 43 defense installed mid-season, Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Taylor, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Wallace, Mendenhall, and Batch (Charlie) should be released and Ben should be made to play like Peyton Manning. I'm not saying that some of this isn't going to happen and I'm certain that some of it will happen over the next 7-8 months, but the crazy reaction to an average season is absurd at times.

    An 8-8 (hopefully) or 7-9 team with a great quarterback isn't a team that needs to be blown up and overhauled and fortunately, the Steelers rarely, if ever, do this sort of thing. For me, I will be anxiously waiting to see how the Steelers get themselves out of cap Hades, see who they resign, who they restructure, who they cut and bring back a t a significantly reduced salary and which Steeler vets are willing to try one more time to make a good run at the Superbowl. One less turnover here, a stop on 3rd and 15, a better in game decision by the coaching staff, one less brain cramp by Ben is really what separated this team from being in the playoffs and not. Blowing it up is a mistake in my opinion, but I'm an optimist and I love this roster and hope they get a chance to redeem themselves next year.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,840
    AH, it was a difficult decision and folks are just venting. The FO won't overreact and I appreciate that. It's just been a bummer of a season, that's all.

    -Joos

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    This is where I'm at with this year's team. Save for Wallace a couple times this version of the Steelers answered the bell every game and played hard. No one wanted to lose games or make mistakes that cost the team games, actually, contrary to that it seemed at times that players were trying to do too much and in doing so mistakes were made. The good news for the fans is that we aren't the ones running the team and the professionals in the front office are the ones running the team.

    If the Steelers took the advice of this board at one time or another Tomlin would be fired, Haley is worse that Arians and should be let go (this is poetic justice of a sorts), Lebeau would have retired and the 43 defense installed mid-season, Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Taylor, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Wallace, Mendenhall, and Batch (Charlie) should be released and Ben should be made to play like Peyton Manning. I'm not saying that some of this isn't going to happen and I'm certain that some of it will happen over the next 7-8 months, but the crazy reaction to an average season is absurd at times.

    An 8-8 (hopefully) or 7-9 team with a great quarterback isn't a team that needs to be blown up and overhauled and fortunately, the Steelers rarely, if ever, do this sort of thing. For me, I will be anxiously waiting to see how the Steelers get themselves out of cap Hades, see who they resign, who they restructure, who they cut and bring back a t a significantly reduced salary and which Steeler vets are willing to try one more time to make a good run at the Superbowl. One less turnover here, a stop on 3rd and 15, a better in game decision by the coaching staff, one less brain cramp by Ben is really what separated this team from being in the playoffs and not. Blowing it up is a mistake in my opinion, but I'm an optimist and I love this roster and hope they get a chance to redeem themselves next year.

    Pappy
    I agree the team doesn't need to be blown up. I don't believe the team will have as many inopportune turnovers next season. IMO, inopportune turnovers is what cost the team a chance to make the playoffs this season.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,124
    When have we ever blown up a team? Its wishful thinking...

  8. #8
    The facts are that we are NOT a very good team....

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    The facts are that we are NOT a very good team....
    I can't dispute that with the way our season ended. IMHO, we were projected to be a playoff team before the season started, we had high expectations and felt we had found the final pieces of the offense when we drafted DeCastro and Adams. We had a good receiver corps, TE, and it was projected that our backs were all good then came the injuries.
    We were stacking injuries instead of wins, that alone contributed to the ineffectiveness of our team. Mistakes, penalties all contributed to the end result as well.
    The main reason we faulterd is a combination of the above, players, and coaches are not off the hook either. When we say team it includes coaching. So the best way I can describe this season is an underachieving team, one we had high hopes for at the beginning of the season.

    For the most part we have an excellent coaching staff, but even the best make mistakes just like the players do. You don't suddenly say FIRE them, and the Steelers won't do that by making knee jerk decisions.
    Our Steelers failed as a team, not one coach or player was responsible but the whole team is responsible. Just like any other failed season, you try and get better the following year, limit mistakes, coaches make better decisions, players making plays and some more discipline in the process. Another thing the Steeler coaching and management should bring up is training in the off season, and conditioning. I realize even the best trained and conditioned player isn't imune to injuries but when we see the amount of injuries we had something isn't right.

    For me I accept where we are based on what occurred this season, I don't blame any one in paticular but highly dissappointed in the final results.
    As for the fans, I can't blame them either. They are frustrated this season ended with no playoffs and look for answers why. Fans have a right to express their opinion right or wrong. They pay big money to watch their team play, they buy team merchandise, and just look at their cable bill to watch these games.

    Overall:
    We're in this together, we hate the outcome of this season, but we love our team win or lose. On the bright side, look at how many playoff games we witnessed, the SB's over the years. We are lucky as fans to have experienced all that, some teams never did or did only for a short time. Just thin k you could be a Browns fan....rolling eyes, but even that team has high hopes for the future and their fans too.
    Finally, as long as Ben is our QB we will have a shot to contend for # 7, how long will it take know one knows but I'm good with that shot....lets roll!!!

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,900
    For me, it was lack of starting NFL talent at key positions sporadically all season long. Some seasons shape up that way. I look at SF, SEA, or HOU, and those teams have difference-maker talent at key positions. Other than QB and TE, I am not sure you can say the Steelers have exceptional talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •