Thread: O-line Coach?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

O-line Coach?

Since Kugs will be leaving I wonder who the Steelers will choose to replace him. I have one in mind, he has no coaching experience but experience doesn't always mean success. Look at our secondary coach Carnell Lake, how he helped Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen develope he didn't have much experience either. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider Dermontti Dawson, I think he has some role now in the Steeler organization. Just a thought on my part.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Since Kugs will be leaving I wonder who the Steelers will choose to replace him. I have one in mind, he has no coaching experience but experience doesn't always mean success. Look at our secondary coach Carnell Lake, how he helped Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen develope he didn't have much experience either. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider Dermontti Dawson, I think he has some role now in the Steeler organization. Just a thought on my part.
    I heard Tunch Ilkin's name mentioned. How about the former Eagles Def Coord who was their OL coach when their OL was pretty decent...Castillo I think?????
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I heard Tunch Ilkin's name mentioned. How about the former Eagles Def Coord who was their OL coach when their OL was pretty decent...Castillo I think?????
    Interesting. Word is that Castillo was a fall-guy for Philly's struggles, plus he was given a position he had no business leading (DC).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Interesting. Word is that Castillo was a fall-guy for Philly's struggles, plus he was given a position he had no business leading (DC).
    Lots of fall guys for the Eagles in about 7-8 days starting with Andy Reid. Reality is the source of the Eagles problem was the same as ours...poor OL play scuttles everything.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

How about the outgoing SD line coach, don't know his name but he put a bunch a newbies in front of us and shut us out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers likely to look internally for offensive line coach Sean Kugler's replacement, Shaun Sarrett a good candidate

By SteelCityRoller

As word broke of Sean Kugler's signing with his former alma mater to be their new head coach, the Steelers began their search for a new offensive line coach.

With the unfortunate scheduling differences between life in the NFL and the NCAA, the Steelers have found a new hoop to jump through as they continue to fight their way through the 2012 season.

Sean Kugler, the Steelers offensive line coach for the past 2.75 seasons, is moving on to become the new head coach of the University of Texas, El Paso. As the offensive line attempts to start another different line combination in week 14, the news of Kugler's imminent departure will not do much to encourage the continuity the unit so desperately needs.

Immediate questions abounded about who Kugler's replacement would be, especially should he leave before the end of the Steelers 2012 season. In an effort to restore some of that lost continuity, the Steelers will most likely look inward when selecting a new, and possibly immediate, replacement. The process of hiring outside of the organization is a time-consuming process best dealt with during the off-season.

Back in February of 2012, the Steelers hired Shaun Sarrett as their new offensive assistant/quality control coach. He had served in the same role for the Duke University Blue Devils since 2008. Prior to Duke, he also spent time at Marshall University; and also as a high school offensive line coach, in Streetsboro, Ohio. Sarrett played guard for Kent State, lettering 3 seasons. He could be an emergency interim decision based on his experience both as a coach and positionally, should Kugler leave sooner rather than later.

If the Steelers go outside the organization, they still have another "inside" choice. Former Steelers center Jeff Hartings is currently coaching offensive line for Avonworth High School, coincidentally with former Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke. While Hartings speaks fondly of his experience coaching younger players, and being involved in the school community, which his children are a part of; he does leave the door open on returning to the NFL to coach.

While Sarrett is the most likely choice, Hartings staying active in football and coaching make him a viable option to consider through the future.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/8/3743452/steelers-offensive-line-coach-search-replacement-candidates-options-sean-kugler[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers likely to look internally for offensive line coach Sean Kugler's replacement, Shaun Sarrett a good candidate

If the Steelers go outside the organization, they still have another "inside" choice. Former Steelers center Jeff Hartings is currently coaching offensive line for Avonworth High School, coincidentally with former Steelers defensive tackle Chris Hoke. While Hartings speaks fondly of his experience coaching younger players, and being involved in the school community, which his children are a part of; he does leave the door open on returning to the NFL to coach.

While Sarrett is the most likely choice, Hartings staying active in football and coaching make him a viable option to consider through the future.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/8/3743452/steelers-offensive-line-coach-search-replacement-candidates-options-sean-kugler[/URL]
    Hartings + Hoke as OL coaches....awesome combination!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd want someone with some fire, knowledge, NFL-level technique and NFL playing experience. This one is too important to mess with less than choosing from among the best available.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll take Tunch.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion