Thread: A very disturbing Steeler trend every 3 years

Backup

User Info Menu

A very disturbing Steeler trend every 3 years

It seems like the Steelers miss the playoffs every 3 years. They have missed it in 2000,2003,2006,2009 and now 2012. It is very disturbing and so frusturating as this team should have went to the playoffs this year. five out of the 8 losses were only by 3 points, The others were by 6,10, and 12 points. Sorry to vent. Hoping for the Steelers to rebound in 2013. I am a huge fan and will watch every second of the game next week against Cleveland!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, but to put it in perspective, there are teams/fan bases who would take MAKING the play offs every three years, as opposed to MISSING it every three years. I'd say missing it every 3 years is not that horrible of a thing, even though, you are right, and this season was WASTED, and we should have made it. There is a real, troubling problem with this team, and I believe it is in character, chemistry and focus and effort, which, mostly, falls on the head coach, as well as a QB who is simply too selfish, unfocused and sloppy.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Goodell gets his wish, nearly EVERY team will make the playoffs every year.

The Steelers avg scoring margin this season is a measly +0.5. Contrast that with Steelers teams that made the playoffs where it was at least +5 or greater. Past history shows that to make the playoffs you generally need to score an avg of about 23 pts per game. Steelers were at just under 21 pts,

so yes... it was that close this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

"DISTURBING" trend". Really?

Under the current playoff format, if you promised me that this pattern would continue in perpetuity, I would take it in a heartbeat. Especially since we went to three SBs and won two during that period.

How can you see the glass as half empty when by this standard "half full" is an understatement.

Using playoffs as a standard, our glass is TWO THIRDS full.

Ryan Clark is ABSOLUTELY right. Steeler fans are spoiled.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    "DISTURBING" trend". Really?

Under the current playoff format, if you promised me that this pattern would continue in perpetuity, I would take it in a heartbeat. Especially since we went to three SBs and won two during that period.

How can you see the glass as half empty when by this standard "half full" is an understatement.

Using playoffs as a standard, our glass is TWO THIRDS full.

Ryan Clark is ABSOLUTELY right. Steeler fans are spoiled.
    That being said, this team major league underachieved this year. How do you miss the play offs when you have the #1 D in the entire league and a supposed franchise QB? It's hard to do, but they did it, losing to teams like Oak., SD, TN and Cle. That's a pretty impressive list of losses.

Legend

User Info Menu

True those loses are bad. But-

How do you have the number one defense when you loses for stretches:

Your best Safety
    Your best Corner
    Your best ROLber
    Your best LOLber

Your Dline is so weak it is the ONE AREA where an injury or two would not matter. It is the only relatively healthy unit on defense.

This defense will be the number one unit in the league despite the above. There is NO WAY our talent should have achieved this ranking.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Apparently lloydroid subscribes to "the standard is the standard" and it doesn't matter who is hurt or who is playing, they need to be equal to or better than the starters on this team....and apparently better than the starters on all the opponents as well.

The only disturbing trend I see is fans ridiculous expectations surrounding this team regardless of the circumstances of players or coaching situations. The defense exceeded expectations in many ways. The offense is only as good as Roethlisberger, and unfortunately he had a bad season this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Yes, but to put it in perspective, there are teams/fan bases who would take MAKING the play offs every three years, as opposed to MISSING it every three years. I'd say missing it every 3 years is not that horrible of a thing, even though, you are right, and this season was WASTED, and we should have made it. There is a real, troubling problem with this team, and I believe it is in character, chemistry and focus and effort, which, mostly, falls on the head coach, as well as a QB who is simply too selfish, unfocused and sloppy.
    Exactly! This is what I tell these "other" fans. Look at Cinci celebrating making the playoffs 2 years in a row for the first time in 2 decades. The playoffs dont mean squat, titles do. We are definitely spoiled as Steelers fans. WE have higher expectations than fans of most other teams do. The writing was on the wall weeks ago with this team, I think after we lost to Cleveland. If not then, it was against SD. This team just didn't have "it" this year.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    The writing was on the wall weeks ago with this team, I think after we lost to Cleveland. If not then, it was against SD. This team just didn't have "it" this year.
    Yes, but the season is not this external event that happened to the Steelers. We didn't have "it" because we didn't want "it" bad enough. The "it" wasn't hiding from us. Other teams managed to find "it." I've noticed the Patriots never manage to lose "it" and magically underperform against some of the worst teams in the league for an entire season.

Am I spoiled? Maybe. But I wouldn't find a 7-9 or 8-8 season so frustrating if a team full of SB vets on which the window is rapidly closing (if not already closed) didn't squander an entire season by having its collective head up its &ss for several months.