Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Ben Coachable?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Ben Coachable?

Does it really matter who coaches this teams offense? Anyone from BA to Haley is at the mercy of Big Ben. We need someone to just get out of Ben's way. Let him have his own way and hope for the best.

He's naturally gifted. Doesn't really have to work at his craft. His size, elusiveness, and arm pretty much overcome his brain.

He's pretty much asked to run more no huddle and for a big WR target. And we've given him neither. WTF? Why not just give him what he wants? Let him do what he does. And stay out of his way.

Legend

User Info Menu

I continually wonder why Ben continues to be criticized for his work ethic and football intelligence. In one sentence fans want him to run the no-huddle in another they call him less than brilliant. How do you run and command an entire offense in the no-huddle and be stupid, lazy and disengaged as many believe? You don't. It was bad second half of the season for the team, they never had all three phases of the game in synch in the same game and it cost them 4 close games down the stretch.

Ben was in the discussion for MVP and fans thought he was brilliant, now he's an idiot because of two bad games. We may never know what repercussions the injury had on his throwing ability since his return. But, its rather interesting that he struggled completing simple quick screens and dump offs, but was capable of throwing it straight down the field 65 yards. His ability to quickly turn and set his feet and throw horizontally was definitely inhibited since his return.

We'll never know what might have been had it not been for the injury, because Ben was playing the best football of his career. Now fans are questioning his intelligence, maturity, etc, etc, losing always brings out the ridiculous.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

B.A. apparently thought he was "coachable"

I think BEN likes old dudes btw ... like his old coach in college he was so close too and B.A.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

I think BEN likes old dudes btw ... like his old coach in college he was so close too and B.A.

[URL=http://imgur.com/cPyzG][/URL]

Umm.... Yeah.....

I'm just going to have to go ahead and...um........

Yeah..... ....Never mind.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    [URL="http://imgur.com/cPyzG"][/URL]

Umm.... Yeah.....

Sickening!! Just Sickening!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    [URL="http://imgur.com/cPyzG"][/URL]

Umm.... Yeah.....

Umm...if you could just go ahead and...That'd be great!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Another perspective found on the PG site caused me to rethink things. How many other QBs have that 'safety blanket' WR, that go-to guy that you know where he will be at all times and can make a great catch when needed. I think Ben just sorely might miss Ward more than some think:

He did not have a good game but the offensive lack of support which he is suppose to overcome week to week, game to game- be it his fellow players or coaches should not get a pass in the least. So the great guy wasn't great. It might help if the great guy did not have to move mountains (have defenders all over him, watch as players try to get loose that have more problems doing so than not, and overcome an obsession with having to drag along the worst part of their offense as the prime server before being asked to bail them out- again and again. Yet there may be more to this as what we learned. The old safety blanket is gone. Ward over most of his career, probably was more of the true success of this team than we actually thought. The guy that did not let the ball hit him in the facemask on crucial plays. The guy who did not shy away because he might have to break up the pass rather than catch it. The guy who found a way to catch an errant Roethlisberger throw rather than give a half hearted stretch. Yeah Ben did not play well but maybe the greater loss we saw this year was that the Football Player that found a way to make a play with Ben for so long- is no longer on the team. Now they are more like a solid group who do well when all is good but fail to elevate when all is not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Another perspective found on the PG site caused me to rethink things. How many other QBs have that 'safety blanket' WR, that go-to guy that you know where he will be at all times and can make a great catch when needed. I think Ben just sorely might miss Ward more than some think:
    Good find. Thanks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think Heath Miller is that guy but we need more than just Heath doing the same. I think we'll see that come to light more next year. Hell Jerricho Cotchery certainly acted like that guy on a few occasions and frankly I'm not sure why he wasn't used more this season. If Wallace doesn't sign we'll be seeing a lot more of him anyway. It just wasn't a good year across the board. Injuries, ridiculous fumbles and no real chance to build up lasting momentum. We beat the Giants and people kept dropping like flies, Ben included. The fact that we're 7-8 with the chance to be 8-8 shouldn't be overlooked when considering all the blows (Injury wise) on both sides of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I think Heath Miller is that guy but we need more than just Heath doing the same. I think we'll see that come to light more next year. Hell Jerricho Cotchery certainly acted like that guy on a few occasions and frankly I'm not sure why he wasn't used more this season. If Wallace doesn't sign we'll be seeing a lot more of him anyway. It just wasn't a good year across the board. Injuries, ridiculous fumbles and no real chance to build up lasting momentum. We beat the Giants and people kept dropping like flies, Ben included. The fact that we're 7-8 with the chance to be 8-8 shouldn't be overlooked when considering all the blows (Injury wise) on both sides of the ball.
    Cotchery at least blocks with a passion and can handle the 3rd down role ...thought Sanders could take over WALLACE's spot but he's not staying healthy anytime soon. We need a BIG WR opposite of Brown. Plex maybe??