Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ready for a Steelers Mock Draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Would anyone consider trading down this year for more picks? I know we don't get to pick this high often, but I'm not real ecstatic being in the middle of the draft. I'd rather be at the top or bottom. I either want a sure fire player or the guy that drops that everyone else forgets about.

I know I always want to trade back. But perhaps this is the year it could have the most likelihood of happening.
    Sure...there seems to be solid depth on day two of the draft. We might be better off trading away our first pick and ending up with 4 solid day two picks as opposed to just having one player in the middle of each round. If Te'o doesn't drop far enough and the team doesn't think Ogletree presents great value where we are picking, maybe they trade back for Minter instead. The best RB in the draft, Giovani Bernard, may not come off the board until round 2, so he could be an interesting consideration. There should be plenty of potential safeties that we could grab on day 2 like Reid, Jefferson, Elam, McDonald, etc. Maybe the look at Von Miller's understudy at Texas A&M for an undersized edge rusher in Sean Porter (to go with big-bodied guys like Woodley and Worilds)...it certainly can't hurt that he went up against a couple of potential first round tackles in Joeckel and Matthews in practice everyday. A lot of possiblities here (maybe someone like Miami would like to have back-to-back picks in the first round...they have the ammunition to trade up since they have two seconds and two thirds as a result of the Vontae Davis and Brandon Marshall trades).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Really? I saw Jenkins fat ass repeatedly blown off the ball during the SEC Championship game by NFL talent. No thank you at pick 11.

Give me Mingo or Dion Jordan or a really good LT.
    For what it's worth, Walter Cherepinsky has Jenkins falling all the way to pick #49 in his latest mock (meaning that we would pass on him twice...in this case for a couple of LSU Tigers in Barkevious Mingo and Eric Reid).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rob what do you have to say about the down years for Mingo and Jordan? Their 2012 seasons sure don't warrant an 11th overall pick. You are really projecting based on skill sets and you are also hoping they can make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. That means more than likely no immediate return for the 11th overall pick.

Please explain that to us. BigRob is on the clock....
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Would you be willing to do that, say if Jarvis Jones some how was there at 8? Or maybe Star Lotulelei?

Or better yet, what players would you be willing to move up 4 to 5 spots for?
    Jones and Lotulelei are certainly intriguing prospects, but both may be gone in the top 5. I suppose I'll wait until next week to find out where we are drafting before considering if something like this is even remotely feasible.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rob what do you have to say about the down years for Mingo and Jordan? Their 2012 seasons sure don't warrant an 11th overall pick. You are really projecting based on skill sets and you are also hoping they can make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. That means more than likely no immediate return for the 11th overall pick.

Just curious as to why you are talking about the 11th overall pick when there are currently 13 teams with records that are 6-9 or worse (and we are currently 7-8).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mingo has had a down year, but I believe it is more about LSU's coaching. They did a terrible job with him this year. Give him a year with Keith Butler and he will be a one man wrecking crew.

Also, I don't know what you mean about Jordan having a down year. Your the only person I have heard say that. He has done nothing but raise his stock. He had some injuries that forced him to miss some time, but he did not regress. Dion Jordan will be a top 20 pick and more than likely a top 10. He is an athletic freak and dropped into coverage quite a bit this year for Oregon. The Guy is 6-7 250 lbs and I have seen him cover receivers before.

This guy does a great job breaking him down:

[URL]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/12/6/3736570/2013-nfl-draft-dion-jordan-defensive-ends[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Just curious as to why you are talking about the 11th overall pick when there are currently 13 teams with records that are 6-9 or worse (and we are currently 7-8).
    If the Steelers lose and go 7-9 and all of those teams that are 6-9 win (except the Chargers), they all have a higher opponent winning percentage than the Steelers. Therefore the Steelers will draft ahead of them. It's really not that far-fetched. NY Jets play at Buffalo, Tampa Bay plays at Atlanta (who should be resting most of their starters since they have everything clinched), Carolina is at New Orleans. I could see at least two of these teams winning and maybe all 3.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Mingo has had a down year, but I believe it is more about LSU's coaching. They did a terrible job with him this year. Give him a year with Keith Butler and he will be a one man wrecking crew.

Also, I don't know what you mean about Jordan having a down year. Your the only person I have heard say that. He has done nothing but raise his stock. He had some injuries that forced him to miss some time, but he did not regress. Dion Jordan will be a top 20 pick and more than likely a top 10. He is an athletic freak and dropped into coverage quite a bit this year for Oregon. The Guy is 6-7 250 lbs and I have seen him cover receivers before.

This guy does a great job breaking him down:

[URL]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/12/6/3736570/2013-nfl-draft-dion-jordan-defensive-ends[/URL]
    5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss? These numbers are not screaming "great year". And they are down from what he did in 2011. I would say he had a down year. And are those really 11th overall pick numbers?

Are you going to address the fact that both Mingo and Jordan will not give you an immediate return?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss? These numbers are not screaming "great year". And they are down from what he did in 2011. I would say he had a down year. And are those really 11th overall pick numbers?

Are you going to address the fact that both Mingo and Jordan will not give you an immediate return?
    First of all, you can't just draft for immediate impact. NFL players don't reach their full potential until year 2 or 3. Stop looking for super immediate impact on a starting level. Both of these guys can play a big role next to Woodley/Worilds in year one.

Secondly, Dion Jordan will be a top 10 to 15 pick. Bank on it. He had an injury this year that slowed him down some and he missed one complete game. The guys was asked to do a lot more than rush the passer at Oregon. He was asked to play in space and to cover a lot of guys in space.

Dion Jordan would be my choice at pick 11.

He’s amazing,” Clay said. “Runs like a gazelle, he can play pass coverage, he can play down in the D line, he obviously knows how to rush the passer. He has all the tools.
    [URL]http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20121226/SPORTS/312260071/[/URL]

Your talking about a guy that's going to be the next Jean Pierre-Paul in my opinion.
    Last edited by BigRob; 12-27-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Stop focusing on the Stats to the point of exclusion. A lot changes from year to year as to how they are used. I prefer Dion Jordan over Mingo, but I would take any of these guys at pick 11:

Jarvis Jones
    Barkevious Mingo
    Dion Jordan