Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ready for a Steelers Mock Draft?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That's a great draft but I dont think Damontre Moore makes it past the first 10 picks of this upcoming draft. Joseph Fauria is going to be a huge find for some team. 6 ft 7 TE who played in a more run oriented offense. 11 TD's this past year.
    Hey...If you are holding out hope for Te'O I can for Moore!

Gametape is there on both of them that warrant Top 10 talent. All it takes is Moore showing up at the combine weighing in under 250 and running an average 10 yard split. Then teams will be labeling him a "tweener" because he will need to add mass to play 4-3 DE at the next level but his short area quickness may be impacted. Teams may start seeing him as more of a 3-4 OLB if he has loose hips in position drills because that is where his game will translate at the size he played.

If Te'O shows up and runs a high 1.6 - 1.7 split & struggles in position drills, teams will start looking at his tape even closer and see how he faired against NFL draftable players. Questions could arise how he translates when OL, RBs, & TEs who have the same or better short area quickness are on the field. See how he covers NFL grade RBs & TEs. See how he gets off blocks of NFL grade players. Really look at his angles and see if his instincts & reads are a bigger part of his college success than his athletic ability.

We are talking about posible Top 10 talent guys falling into the 12-14 range as the process unfolds. That isn't a reach at all. I would be happy with either because I feel they both fit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    First of all, you can't just draft for immediate impact. NFL players don't reach their full potential until year 2 or 3. Stop looking for super immediate impact on a starting level. Both of these guys can play a big role next to Woodley/Worilds in year one.

Secondly, Dion Jordan will be a top 10 to 15 pick. Bank on it. He had an injury this year that slowed him down some and he missed one complete game. The guys was asked to do a lot more than rush the passer at Oregon. He was asked to play in space and to cover a lot of guys in space.

Dion Jordan would be my choice at pick 11.

[URL]http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20121226/SPORTS/312260071/[/URL]

Your talking about a guy that's going to be the next Jean Pierre-Paul in my opinion.
    Rob every year immediate impact players come into the league...what are you talking about? Why can't the Steelers expect an immediate impact player if drafting 11th? The last time they drafted 11th they got one.

Show us the last college DE that the Steelers selected that made an immediate impact at OLB in a 3-4? Or better yet how about just a big role as you put it? LaMarr Woodley had actually played in a 3-4 some at Michigan yet his first year as a Steeler he recorded all of 14 tackles.

Jason Pierre-Paul didnt have to change positions nor schemes when he came to the NFL. And what I see of Jordan is more like Bruce Irvin of the Seahawks. 8 sacks and only 8 other tackles all year. For the 11th overall pick? No thanks.You are selling your favorite team short. The big what "IF".
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Stop focusing on the Stats to the point of exclusion. A lot changes from year to year as to how they are used. I prefer Dion Jordan over Mingo, but I would take any of these guys at pick 11:

Jarvis Jones
    Barkevious Mingo
    Dion Jordan
    I agree stats dont always show the whole picture, but they do show performance. Dion Jordan's and Barkevious Mingo's stats show they really didn't make all that many big plays. Both show they had less than a sack every other game and less than a tackle for loss every game.

Jarvis Jones? Yes me too. Not Mingo and Jordan...sorry.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jason Pierre-Paul didnt have to change positions nor schemes when he came to the NFL. And what I see of Jordan is more like Bruce Irvin of the Seahawks. 8 sacks and only 8 other tackles all year. For the 11th overall pick? No thanks.You are selling your favorite team short. The big what "IF".
    Bull****. Dion Jordan is nothing like Bruce Irvin. Bruce Irvin was a one trick pony in college. Trying to paint Jordan anything like Irvin is complete crap. Much more varied use and production out of Jordan in college. You would be the only person with that comparison who claims to know anything about the draft.

There is nothing to say that Jordan can't have an immediate impact. All I am saying is that you don't players purely on whether they will have a super immediate impact alone. You would pass on a lot of players if that was your main drafting criteria. Drafting is just as much about year 2,3, and 4.

You are way way underselling Dion Jordan.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bull****. Dion Jordan is nothing like Bruce Irvin. Bruce Irvin was a one trick pony in college. Trying to paint Jordan anything like Irvin is complete crap. Much more varied use and production out of Jordan in college. You would be the only person with that comparison who claims to know anything about the draft.

There is nothing to say that Jordan can't have an immediate impact. All I am saying is that you don't players purely on whether they will have a super immediate impact alone. You would pass on a lot of players if that was your main drafting criteria. Drafting is just as much about year 2,3, and 4.

You are way way underselling Dion Jordan.
    See I think you are missing the point I have with Jordan. I am saying these as if he were a Pittsburgh Steeler and what he would do for them in year one.

Could you give us an example of a Dion Jordan type (college DE), who has played for the Steelers at 3-4 OLB and come right in and had an impact in the last 20 years?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

See I think you are missing the point I have with Jordan. I am saying these as if he were a Pittsburgh Steeler and what he would do for them in year one.

Could you give us an example of a Dion Jordan type (college DE), who has played for the Steelers at 3-4 OLB and come right in and had an impact in the last 20 years?
    How many players come to the Steelers recently and make a big impact in year one?

Roethlisberger (That was due to injury, not design)
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Heath Miller
    Santonio Holmes

What do all of these players have in common? They are all on the offensive side of the ball. This is the last 10 years.

It took Polamalu one year to jump to pro bowl level. Would you change that pick in 2003 for a player that could make an immediate "impact"?

Steelers have made it very clear they do not draft with the expectation the player will come in day one and start with an impact. They are happy when it happens, but they take the long term view.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How many players come to the Steelers recently and make a big impact in year one?

Roethlisberger (That was due to injury, not design)
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Heath Miller
    Santonio Holmes

What do all of these players have in common? They are all on the offensive side of the ball. This is the last 10 years.

It took Polamalu one year to jump to pro bowl level. Would you change that pick in 2003 for a player that could make an immediate "impact"?

Steelers have made it very clear they do not draft with the expectation the player will come in day one and start with an impact. They are happy when it happens, but they take the long term view.

But with Te'o he played in a 3-4. He is familiar with it. Let's look at the history of the Steelers and high draft picks on defense. Like top 10. Rod Woodson and Joe Greene did pretty well.

A top ten pick or one who falls from the top ten is an elite player that shouldnt be compared to mid to late round picks. One that should be expected to perform right away.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

But with Te'o he played in a 3-4. He is familiar with it. Let's look at the history of the Steelers and high draft picks on defense. Like top 10. Rod Woodson and Joe Greene did pretty well.

A top ten pick or one who falls from the top ten is an elite player that shouldnt be compared to mid to late round picks. One that should be expected to perform right away.
    Once again though, if you take a MLB that high, who do you sit when you are not in your base defense? Teams play their nickel/dime defenses a ton more than in the past.

Timmons or Te'o. Can't see drafting a guy that high when he isn't going to be on the field half of the time. Timmons isn't sitting. How much of an impact can Te'o really have if he is standing on the sidelines half the snaps.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Once again though, if you take a MLB that high, who do you sit when you are not in your base defense? Teams play their nickel/dime defenses a ton more than in the past.

Timmons or Te'o. Can't see drafting a guy that high when he isn't going to be on the field half of the time. Timmons isn't sitting. How much of an impact can Te'o really have if he is standing on the sidelines half the snaps.
    Dont agree. Both Te'o and Timmons are 3 down backers. Both can cover. Dick LeBeau hasnt had that in a long time. But he has had that. Kirkland and Brown for example. If Te'o is inside I could see a lot more of Timmons coming forward after the QB. Something that LeBeau hasnt been able to utilize a lot now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dont agree. Both Te'o and Timmons are 3 down backers. Both can cover. Dick LeBeau hasnt had that in a long time. But he has had that. Kirkland and Brown for example. If Te'o is inside I could see a lot more of Timmons coming forward after the QB. Something that LeBeau hasnt been able to utilize a lot now.
    ??????? Your going to play two ILB and put a safety or corner on the bench? How do you think this works when teams like New England go 4 and 5 wide?

Your just going to play your base defense all three downs?

That's laughable. The league is turning into a passing league. Corners and Safeties that can cover are becoming more and more valuable. ILB/MLB are becoming commodities. You only need one stud 3-4 ILB. The other one can be had in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rd.

Look around the league.