Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kovacevic: This one's on the franchise QB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MADDEN def. hit the nail on the head.
    I wouldn't call Antonio Brown a "punk" and I think he plays hard (for the most part).
    But SANDERS is weak and frail AND WALLACE is a "one trick pony" with no passion for the whole game, just getting deep.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    MADDEN def. hit the nail on the head.
    I wouldn't call Antonio Brown a "punk" and I think he plays hard (for the most part).
    But SANDERS is weak and frail AND WALLACE is a "one trick pony" with no passion for the whole game, just getting deep.
    Yea know, Madden often writes stuff just to get reaction, good or bad. But he also is often right, and when he is, he is. And he is right here. I would choose to keep Brown around, as he has heart, talent and drive. But I think he is a little influences by the other punks (Sanders and Wallace).

Actually, I saw traces of this going back to last year. When asked about Hines Ward's influence on the young WR corp, I sensed some crap attitude by the "young money" guys. It wasn't overt, but it was there. They kind of laughed it off and said something about Hines being a father figure, but they laughed about it, as if their attitude was "Yea, the old man. We are above and beyond his old ways." Am I reading too much into it? Looking at the results this season, I don't believe I am. Wallace would be shamed off the field if Hines was still on the team and in the locker room. Without Hines, Wallace has become embarrassing in his lack of effort and focus. Hines had to overcome being on a college team that valued him so much at WR, QB and RB that they kind of limited his play to some degree, because his depth was too important to risk. When he complained to his mom about it, she said, "Then that is all the reason for you to work harder." When Hines told his mom that the Steelers kept drafting high WRs, instead of giving him more opportunities, she said the same thing: "Then you better work harder." So Hines learned from that, and applied full, 100% commitment to getting better. And it showed, as the most productive WR in team history, by a country mile, even though the team has two Hall of Fame WRs already, in Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Neither produced any where near what Ward did (Yes, different eras, different rules, way more passing today, but regardless, Ward OWNS all rec. records.)

Let's face it: The crap attitude of the "Young Money" guys hurt us this year. You don't think there is an inherent problem on a team when Wallace makes a HORRIBLE drop in the end zone only to produce the biggest smile you have ever seen? I mean, it was so over the top and was supposed to make us think: "Oh, he's not bothered by that TD drop, he actually thinks it's funny." When fans care more than the players, something is very wrong.

Same goes for Ben. Sorry. His self-centered needs are above the team, even though he is smart enough to say the right things after a loss like this one and the Super Bowl. But most all other evidence showcases him as too self-centered and an attitude contributing to a lack luster concentration of the team. "If Ben can be carefree and fancy free with this stuff, why can't I?" Matter of fact, ever notice how the lineman Ben approached before a game seem a little put off by Ben's cheer leading? It's almost like, "Who is this guy? Oh, that's right, this is public Ben that we see in front of the cameras. I get it now."

Legend

User Info Menu

All the WRs sans Cotch are young. Call it sophmore jinx or whatever. I would hope Ben steps up as the leader of the offense and gives those guys an earful on how to play and act in an NFL game. It's OK to be excited about making a play, but celebrating even after a routine catch??... Ben needs to set these guys straight cause there is no Hines Ward to show them how it's done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    All the WRs sans Cotch are young. Call it sophmore jinx or whatever. I would hope Ben steps up as the leader of the offense and gives those guys an earful on how to play and act in an NFL game. It's OK to be excited about making a play, but celebrating even after a routine catch??... Ben needs to set these guys straight cause there is no Hines Ward to show them how it's done.
    Ben is the leader of the offense, ut what I wish he would do more of is let the WRs know when they make a mistake. it seems he's always willing to shoulder the blame, when in fact, the best thing he could do is let them know that they made a mistake, lets get it fixed and move on, instead of deflecting any criticism from them to himself. That's my beef with Ben.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't agree with a lot of the article. The Steelers are as playoff caliber as most teams. They are not poorly assembled. They have good talent on both sides of the ball. I think the bit about all the horrible in game decisions is exaggerated. He doesn't cite anything, because I think there is a case to be made for just about all the decisions. But when they don't work, they're horrible. He is supportive of Ben, as I am, but for a veteran QB with his talent level, Big Ben still doesn't read defenses as quickly and well as he should. I don't think he is cerebral enough at this point of his career and he needs to be more so. Haley and Ben are not necessarily a bad fit, either. If Haley can prod Ben to be more interested in knowing the playbook inside and out. It can turn out well.

He calls the receiver, punks. I don't totally agree with that. Wallace might fit that shoe a little. He lost focus too much, but he did some good things. Brown always gives you a great effort. He trains fanatically, is a good route runner and often makes the tough catch. I'm not crazy about the posing with the ball after a play. I didn't like how he called out that rookie DB, saying he was the "candy store". He could tone that down. He is cocky and when you lose, that comes back to bite you. Why is Sanders a punk? I think he is a pretty good guy. He fumbled away some balls, but I thought he consistently played hard. I think he is a pretty good receiver and has enough ability to become a solid No. 2 on the team. I wouldn't call him frail either because he has had some injuries. It is a tough game and most players do have some injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Same goes for Ben. Sorry. His self-centered needs are above the team, even though he is smart enough to say the right things after a loss like this one and the Super Bowl. But most all other evidence showcases him as too self-centered and an attitude contributing to a lack luster concentration of the team. "If Ben can be carefree and fancy free with this stuff, why can't I?" Matter of fact, ever notice how the lineman Ben approached before a game seem a little put off by Ben's cheer leading? It's almost like, "Who is this guy? Oh, that's right, this is public Ben that we see in front of the cameras. I get it now."
    Name me one NFL QB that is not self-centered or an egomaniac. One of the best in the game (Favre) was about as self-centered as it gets. It's part of their makeup and I don't think they would be a very good pro if they didn't have the attitude they have.

The WRs?.... They all have some growing up to do for sure. But sometimes all it takes is to have a disappointing season to turn things around. When you get ripped on a review at work, do you walk away more motivated than ever, or do you pout and complain about the boss? The character of a man is judged better by when things are not going well, than when they are.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So Big Ben gets the brown paper bag of shame...

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shame-report[/url]