Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the season in a nutshell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My question would be: Why would he throw in the towel the second half of the season if it isn't injury related? I mentioned in another post the specific throws that caused him issues are the ones where his body may not be square to the target and he has turn at the waist and the try to deliver a pass horizontally. He appeared to have plenty of zip when facing downfield and stepping into the throw with his shoulders square to the target. It was those screens and quick hitches to the right or left that were bouncing to the receivers. These throws probably caused him pain since he couldn't square himself to make the throw, just my opinion of course.

Ben is a lot of things, but one thing I've never seen him do is give up, ever and I doubt we'll ever see it. it's too coincidental that his play after injury was less than stellar and he was in the MVP discussion prior.

Pappy
    None of us will ever know the true extent of Ben's injury on his playing psyche. If the rib injury was as serious as they said in the media, wouldn't it cause him to think that every time he turned, was hit, or move in the wrong manner it could permanently damage his heart... or even kill him? I think that would certainly weigh on me. Maybe the Steelers $100M investment forces him to think that even though injured, he still has to play to give the team the best chance to win. If Ben had never put together amazing game-winning drives, we would certainly have room to question him. But he, in fact, has proved he can do it.

Ben is the least of my worries on this team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If Ben had never put together amazing game-winning drives, we would certainly have room to question him. But he, in fact, has proved he can do it.
    He proved he can do it, yes. But he hasn't proven it as of late, so much. Since 2008, he hasn't quite lived up to his same game-saving heroics. How many times this season has he come up FAIL? Ben might not be our biggest worry, but his current state, all things considered, isn't without some concern, including his stature of team leader. I am sensing that there is a fracture in this team's unity, and some of it is stemming from #7. That is starting to emerge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    He proved he can do it, yes. But he hasn't proven it as of late, so much. Since 2008, he hasn't quite lived up to his same game-saving heroics. How many times this season has he come up FAIL? Ben might not be our biggest worry, but his current state, all things considered, isn't without some concern, including his stature of team leader. I am sensing that there is a fracture in this team's unity, and some of it is stemming from #7. That is starting to emerge.
    Selective memory.... apparently his 14 play 64 yd drive to win in Philly this season doesn't count.... or perhaps his 8 play 67 yd drive to win in Cincy... or maybe the 2 min drive last year in Indy for a field goal to win ?.... shall I continue??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Selective memory.... apparently his 14 play 64 yd drive to win in Philly this season doesn't count.... or perhaps his 8 play 67 yd drive to win in Cincy... or maybe the 2 min drive last year in Indy for a field goal to win ?.... shall I continue??
    Yea, needing to work miracles to beat bad teams. Great. KC as well. They should have been up by 21 in most of those games. Needing miracles to beat bads teams isn't really what I was talking about here.