Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be Real: Tomlin is not a very good coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Marvin Lewis calling for a 56 yarder at Heinz and then going for a 4th and 22??? Mind Boggling!!
    Desperate times lead to desperate measures. In the end, Marvin's strategy, however lame, worked and Tomlin's did not.

At times I do find myself questioning whether Tomlin really is a student of the game, or a seat-of-the pants kind of coach. Why didn't Tomlin accept the intentional grounding penalty to put the Bengals back further? Has there ever been any articles about how much time he spends at the office during the season? just wondering...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Desperate times lead to desperate measures. In the end, Marvin's strategy, however lame, worked and Tomlin's did not.

At times I do find myself questioning whether Tomlin really is a student of the game, or a seat-of-the pants kind of coach. Why didn't Tomlin accept the intentional grounding penalty to put the Bengals back further? Has there ever been any articles about how much time he spends at the office during the season? just wondering...
    He didn't accept it because he wanted the ball back with the most time available. No one would had expected Lewis to run another play.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Be Real: Tomlin is not a very good coach ????? WTF?

Maybe you would be happy with Rich Kotite Lol.

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin had to deal with a lot this year,but I do think he needs to look in the mirror for some of the answers.Better in game decisions,preparation and options if the gameplan is not working.I think he is a good coach and hopefully will do what is needed.He does seem to care a lot about this organization and what it means to be a part of it.We need health and chemistry on this team to properly evaluate it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Va Steelr View Post
    We need health and chemistry on this team to properly evaluate it.
    And who is in charge of ensuring a quality chemistry? The head coach. He failed at that job this year, no doubt about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I personally like Tomlin. I think he's smart guy, a good guy and I believe he did something that Cowher couldn't have done and that was win our last Super Bowl. Cowher would have still been having his love affair with his over hyped, buddy system players that he refused to get rid of.
    The Rooneys probably liked Tomlin and thought he would be a nice change up from Cowher. Tomlin being black didn't hurt either with especially the Rooney Rule. Call me racist if you want, there was no way the Rooneys where not going to hire a black coach. But again, I still think the Rooney got the deal they wanted, a coach they thought could do the job and also happened to be black.
    Having said all that, I am not so happy with Tomlin as I was at the start. I don't see any of his influence or possibly I do and his influence is negative on this team. The team seems weak, no heart and no leadership along with being poorly coached.
    And whom ever stated Whiz is a flop or whatever, Whiz is just another example how good a coach could look with a HOF qb and how bad a coach can look without a HOF qb. Qb's make and break a coaches career.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I personally like Tomlin. I think he's smart guy, a good guy and I believe he did something that Cowher couldn't have done and that was win our last Super Bowl. Cowher would have still been having his love affair with his over hyped, buddy system players that he refused to get rid of.
    The Rooneys probably liked Tomlin and thought he would be a nice change up from Cowher. Tomlin being black didn't hurt either with especially the Rooney Rule. Call me racist if you want, there was no way the Rooneys where not going to hire a black coach. But again, I still think the Rooney got the deal they wanted, a coach they thought could do the job and also happened to be black.
    Having said all that, I am not so happy with Tomlin as I was at the start. I don't see any of his influence or possibly I do and his influence is negative on this team. The team seems weak, no heart and no leadership along with being poorly coached.
    And whom ever stated Whiz is a flop or whatever, Whiz is just another example how good a coach could look with a HOF qb and how bad a coach can look without a HOF qb. Qb's make and break a coaches career.
    I know you very well and I don't think you have a racist bone in your body.

if the best HC candidate had been white, I believe the Rooneys would have hired him. it just so happened that Mike Tomlin was the best choice and he just happened to be an Afro-American...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks Hawaiinsteel. I guess your correct what the Rooneys would have done if they had a white coach they were happy to lead their team. For me and if the rule was the fezziwig rule, I would press myself to put my money where my mouth is. After reading what I've just typed your right, I nor the Rooney should feel any shame over picking the right guy or the person they or I would truly want. I'm sure they know in their heart as I do that, we would do what we feel is right or best for the team.

I love that pick you have of Tomlin giving Hairball the look. I bet Tomlin could take both Hairballs in a fight.

Backup

User Info Menu

I've always been a Tomlin fan, but there is no denying he got out coached a lot this year. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I can't remember a time where I thought Tomlin was the one out coaching his opponent. At this point he's a broken record: "situational football this, situational football that", "the standard is the standard", "these men will prepare like men...". One knock on Cowher was his inability to make in game adjustments & unfortunately the same can be said for Tomlin. With all that said, the lack of focus, concentration & leadership on this team are most concerning, & those things fall on the coach; far too many times this year it just didn't seem like they were prepared to play (particularly against lesser opponents).

Legend

User Info Menu

barry switzer was a much better coach than tomlin