Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be Real: Tomlin is not a very good coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    barry switzer was a much better coach than tomlin

okay, my turn.

President Barack Obama is currently in Hawaii and is coming over for dinner later.

okay, your turn again...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself and all the other f*cking idiots saying the same. Tomlin has a down year, a year PLAGUED with injuries and some of you are ready to cast the guy out. Are we being serious right now? Players come back from being injured, other players get hurt and this continued ALL SEASON LONG. We're sitting at 7-8 with the chance to be 8-8 and Chicken little is running rampant. Enough already.
    I'm not sure that is the only reason people are down on Tomlin. Great coaches produce teams that go positive in the turnover battle...Tomlins career net turnovers are well into the negative. Not to mention the Steelers have been one of the more highly penalized teams since he took over. That coupled with some serious knuckle headed decisions makes me think the thoughts of the original poster are not that far off.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Have you noticed we have gotten out of rythm with the following ?

We used to keep teams from scoring in the first quarter

We used to win our openers

We used to not have teams run 100 yards upon us

We used to get more turnovers

We used to get more sacks

No matter how our record was we used to own our division

Our player hardly did the bone head things they are currently doing

Seldom our play calling was in question

We used to win most of our home games

I'm not saying Cowher was perfect and it was time for a change but, Tomlin has fallen faster and has taken this team down quicker than I can remember.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Have you noticed we have gotten out of rythm with the following ?

We used to keep teams from scoring in the first quarter

We used to win our openers

We used to not have teams run 100 yards upon us

We used to get more turnovers

We used to get more sacks

No matter how our record was we used to own our division

Our player hardly did the bone head things they are currently doing

Seldom our play calling was in question

We used to win most of our home games

I'm not saying Cowher was perfect and it was time for a change but, Tomlin has fallen faster and has taken this team down quicker than I can remember.
    add the fact that cowhers teams were seldom unprepared, seldom unmotivated and seldom undisciplined. cowhers teams had an edge to them and other teams feared us. i can handle having a down year at 7-9 or 8-8 if the team was lacking talent or had major injuries, but this goes MUCH deeper than that

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe something worth considering. Someone who appears polished likely has to spend time keeping up that appearance.

Tomlin comes across as one of the most polished coaches in sports history. Most great coaches don't because they're completely absorbed with coaching.

Cowher, Noll, Bellichick, etc. all looked ragged compared to Tomlin. Not sure it means anything? It could be 100% natural and authentic. But someone that finished isn't 100% natural most of the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    okay, my turn.

President Barack Obama is currently in Hawaii and is coming over for dinner later.

okay, your turn again...
    [URL="http://stillernation.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=2#"]rofl.gif[/URL]

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Maybe something worth considering. Someone who appears polished likely has to spend time keeping up that appearance.

Tomlin comes across as one of the most polished coaches in sports history. Most great coaches don't because they're completely absorbed with coaching.

Cowher, Noll, Bellichick, etc. all looked ragged compared to Tomlin. Not sure it means anything? It could be 100% natural and authentic. But someone that finished isn't 100% natural most of the time.
    What about Tom Landry or Pat Riley?? To me, the polish is just about personal style and not coaching ability.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    What about Tom Landry or Pat Riley?? To me, the polish is just about personal style and not coaching ability.

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm not trying to say there's something here or there isn't. But when you look at some of the numbers, I think it's a fair question, did we get a little more style than substance. Did Tomlin sell the Rooneys and Steeler Nation some swamp land?

Sometimes people overcompensate and put a little more effort into their personal style when they don't have substance. For others it's natural and success goes hand in hand with style. And yet others seem like complete buffoons but are amazingly competent at what they do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm not trying to say there's something here or there isn't. But when you look at some of the numbers, I think it's a fair question, did we get a little more style than substance. Did Tomlin sell the Rooneys and Steeler Nation some swamp land?

Sometimes people overcompensate and put a little more effort into their personal style when they don't have substance. For others it's natural and success goes hand in hand with style. And yet others seem like complete buffoons but are amazingly competent at what they do.
    I'm sorry but this is just digging for something to explain the crap season.

1. Ben is difficult, it's something we've all known for a long time.
    2. Prior to the injury of Ben he was having a very good season but the rest of the team was either fumbling or simply not catching the damn ball.
    3. Injuries, injuries, injuries. I had hoped someone would have broken it all down but I may just end up doing it if for no other reason that to see just how messed up this season has been.

I could continue with that list and Tomlin is far from perfect but you aren't going to sit back and go all chicken little on all things Steelers because we're having a crappy year. If the team stayed healthy and the receivers played like they've played in the past we wouldn't even be talking about this right now as we'd have one of the top seeds in the AFC. It's been a bad year that isn't the result of any one thing in particular but rather a crap wrapped Christmas present of minor things that made a larger problem.
    Last edited by Snatch98; 12-26-2012 at 05:53 PM.