Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers who may not be on the team next year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seems like every season we have the makings of a good team but the same players get injured causing us to be about average or a little above. How many seasons in a row do we have to deal with half the offensive line out? How many seasons do we have to deal with Woodley and Troy out for portions of the year? If we plan on keeping these guys around we need better depth.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wallace (#3 draft pick or FA)
    Foote-old (Spence or #2 draft pick)
    Leftwich-old and injury prone
    Plax-old
    Mendy (#4 draft pick)
    Colon-injury poster boy (#5 draft pick as backup)
    Harrison-old, no pass rush (#1 draft pick or Worilds is replacement)
    Hampton-old (time for McClendon and T'amu if not in jail)
    Polamalu-too expensive (restructure please, can't pay $9M for 5 games or Will Allen/Golden)

Resign Foster, Lewis, Allen (early like we did Brown)
    Sign FA WR and RB (Mendy if cheap and head OK)

I'm not a "capologist" so I'm not sure if we really can release some of these guys without a huge cap hit.
    Last edited by Lebsteel; 12-24-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good write up on the Depot. On who stays and goes.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Good write up on the Depot. On who stays and goes.
    Yes, that was interesting.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only bit in the Depot article that I question would be Keenan Lewis. If, indeed, many of the vets retire or are cut there should be room to make a good contract offer to Lewis. I would hate to see him have to pack his bags and leave, Taylor, Lewis and Allen (Cortez) along with Polamalu and Clark would make a great secondary and would probably be the strength of the team.

I hope the Steelers do everything in their power to keep Lewis. We saw a glimpse of what this group of corners can do when given the chance. They played really good pass defense the final quarter of the season. If Taylor had been healthy yesterday, I doubt Green gets 10 catches.

Keep Lewis has to be their mantra in my opinion.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    Wallace (#3 draft pick or FA)
    Foote-old (Spence or #2 draft pick)
    Leftwich-old and injury prone
    Plax-old
    Mendy (#4 draft pick)
    Colon-injury poster boy (#5 draft pick as backup)
    Harrison-old, no pass rush (#1 draft pick or Worilds is replacement)
    Hampton-old (time for McClendon and T'amu if not in jail)
    Polamalu-too expensive (restructure please, can't pay $9M for 5 games or Will Allen/Golden)

Resign Foster, Lewis, Allen (early like we did Brown)
    Sign FA WR and RB (Mendy if cheap and head OK)

I'm not a "capologist" so I'm not sure if we really can release some of these guys without a huge cap hit.
    Why resign Foster when we can get the best Guard in the draft and one of the best coming out in the past few years for probably less on a rookie contract? Chance Warmack is a future Pro Bowl player. Foster never will be.

I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a pass rusher who won't see the field for 2 years. Safety would be a great but this draft is loaded with Safeties and would a rookie start ahead of Clark or Troy in 2013? Warmack would be a Day 1 starter.

Must resign Keenan Lewis which is why I don't waste any on Foster. We will need every dollar we have to do that after the season he just had.

Many will poo poo taking another Guard in Round 1 and a few years ago I was one of the ones who said you don't use premier picks on Guards but reality has proven me wrong. We need drastic actions to improve this OL once and for all.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with papillon, in that we need to sign a young guy like Keenan Lewis. Not break-the-bank signing him, but we need to hang on to young guys like him. I don't think he'll ever be a Pro-Bowl caliber CB, but you want to keep young guys like him, who dutifully work their way up and you know will come to play. I think he is a Deshea Townsend, Dwayne Woodruff level guy, but one that this D needs.

I think we also shouldn't dismiss his buddy Wallace so fast. Wallace may be a bit miscast in this offense, but he also still adds a dimension. I'm guessing that he is disappointed at the way this year went. I'm going to also guess and say he blames most of it on the club. That being said though, cooler heads need to prevail. I hope the team doesn't burn this bridge, and at least keeps the door open to this guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Why resign Foster when we can get the best Guard in the draft and one of the best coming out in the past few years for probably less on a rookie contract? Chance Warmack is a future Pro Bowl player. Foster never will be.

I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a pass rusher who won't see the field for 2 years. Safety would be a great but this draft is loaded with Safeties and would a rookie start ahead of Clark or Troy in 2013? Warmack would be a Day 1 starter.

Must resign Keenan Lewis which is why I don't waste any on Foster. We will need every dollar we have to do that after the season he just had.

Many will poo poo taking another Guard in Round 1 and a few years ago I was one of the ones who said you don't use premier picks on Guards but reality has proven me wrong. We need drastic actions to improve this OL once and for all.
    Our first round OLB would see the field if Harrison and his huge cap hit are gone. We need an outside pass rush and I'm hoping Woodley can be better in 2013. Given the number of older players that will be gone, I really think next year will be a 8-8 type year as well. But it will be a great year for our younger guys to get experience and build the foundation for the future. I think resigning Foster wouldn't cost that much and it gives us some flexibility with a guy who can play G and emergency OT. I agree we need to sign Keenan Lewis and even Cortez Allen now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis now needs to be Priority #1. Would even go so far as to say he is the #1 CB on this roster.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No worries people, Lewis will be signed and Cortez as well. They are good CB's and could get even better.When you invest time to develope players like them I would think squandering an opportunity to sign them to a contract would be counter productive.
    The Steelers won't break the bank either in the process, we're talking about good CB's not all pro's yet. If Lewis was a pro bowl corner then we might have some concern with the contract but I think the Steelers will work something out.
    As I mentioned in another post the Steelers are in a transition period, we will have to release some vets and develope some young players. Fans know it won't happen overnight to get a championship team restored but the sooner you begin the process the better off later.