Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers who may not be on the team next year?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers who may not be on the team next year?

We have to find some cap money so it appears we might see some familiar faces gone next season. It also looks like a transition era for our Steelers. We'll need more than one good draft pick to make this team better and it takes time to develope new players into the system and it may take awhile.

Many assume Wallace and Mendy are gone which I can understand, but why are we paying 65 million to Woodley who can't stay on the field and his play is gone down the tube? If we are going to rebuild, they need to get rid of high priced players who don't perform to the level expected. At any rate the Steelers front office have some tough decisions to make, I hope thay make the right ones.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Woodley needs a strong off season. Come back and play better then he did to get the 65mil. I hope he figures out he is not all that and needs a strong off season. Come in to camp the best shape of your life. Show some passion like Hood did this last off season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The names that I think are in danger of restructer/trade/cut or not resigned
    Hampton /last year of contract
    Harrison/Woodley. Harrison due 8million bonus Woodley injury and performance and besides if they are going to be used more in coverage than rushing the passer then speed is needed outside.
    Keisel / more negative plays than impact, plus age
    Colon / injuries
    Wallace / asking price plus performance.
    Troy/ I think is very safe for another season, but injuries plus performance may catch him next year.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Cut them all. They are all scrubs.

Starter

User Info Menu

I say these may not be here next year.

Harrison, Hampton, Foote (if so, as a backup), Colon, Foster, Wallace, Leftwich, Charlie Batch, Pope, Mendenhall, AND Haley

And it would be nice to have a kicker who can hit anything past 50 yards.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, and I know this isn't done a whole lot, but what would Woodley be worth in a trade scenario?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and I know this isn't done a whole lot, but what would Woodley be worth in a trade scenario?
    Woodley is in his prime so I doubt the Steelers would think about a trade, what they need to do is send him a message....get in shape in the off season.
    For one stay out of McDonalds, eat right and lose some weight that is slowing him down. When healthy he is a great player but when you invest that kind of money on a player you want a return on that investment.
    He isn't the only one, we need a conditioning coach to get these players in better shape when they come back for the new season, sometimes conditioning can lead to injuries if your not prepared properly.

As for the familiar faces we may not see again:

Casey Hampton:
    While he had a decent year, his salary may do him in as the Steelers need more cap room.

Willie Colon:
    You can't make the club in the tub, the often injured Colon may be the reason the Steelers release him, but like casey his salary could be the diference.

James Harrison:

I think he has a year or two more play, plus we don't have anyone that could be better right now to replace him.

Mendy:
    Looks like he may be gone, but I would try to keep him for the right price. He is our best back that wasn't used enough this season as Tomlin wanted to prove a point, should he leave we'll need a replacement.

Wallace:
    I still think he can play but not in this dink and dunk system, he has some value but not the price we want to pay so he's as good as gone. I would hate the thought of him playing for the Bengals next season teaming up with Green.

Troy: He can still play, its just getting enough games from him. I remember when we let Rod Woodson go and it hurt us, he not only won a SB, he played well when injury healed. I believe we keep troy.

Charlie Batch: Every year he is believed to be released, but somehow rises from the ashes. I would keep him release Lefty, and look for a QB in the draft to groom.

Foote: He played decent for us this season, he may have one more year until Spense can prove he is a better ILB, but for now I would keep larry.

Keisel:
    He had a decent year, actually one of the better ones on our D-line. He is still productive so I would keep him before I pay two # 1 picks money they haven't earned their money and look for a NT and DE in the draft.

At any rate we will lose some vets, bring in some new players and the transition period starts. We have to find quality players to rebuild our team, young players don't always pan out so they need to be on the money in this draft.
    I know its frustrating to see this season end on a bad note and ruin our Holiday, but through the years our Steelers gave us plenty to be happy about numerous playoff appearances and SB's so we shouldn't get too down. Win or lose I know all of you are proud to be Steeler fans as I am so keep your chin up, they gave us the envy of all teams.....six rings!

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem with Woodley is he is a natural 4-3 DE who is forced to play 3-4 OLB. Clearly his body isn't made for that because he keeps getting the same leg related injuries. We need to quit forcing square pegs into round holes and design our team to execute what the players we have are best at.

The league is becoming a speed game and at 265lbs Woodley isn't a speed player. He is a power pass rusher
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Once the dust settles, we'll come to realise that mass changes are not really 'The Steeler Way'.

Hampton is likely done. Wallace is unlikely to re-sign. Not convinced they can keep Mendenhall at this point.

Colon might be cap-prohibitive, but Chadman suspects he'll be around for another tilt. Which will mean Foster will be gone.

The team 'needs' leaders, so cutting Harrison, Polamalu, Keisel or Taylor seems unlikely. Foote's contract isn't breaking the bank, and he adds veteran presence on the field.

The back-up LB's will probably come back to camp, but Johnson, Robinson & Sylvester will likely have some competition next season for their roster spots.

At QB, if Charlie Batch decides he wants another season, here's betting they give it to him. Of course, if he pulls the pin, that would mean Leftwich would remain the #1 back-up. Chances are, only 1, not both, will be here next season.

Both Will Allen & Ryan Mundy will, hopefully, have competition for their spots next season. After falling behind Allen, Chadman can see Mundy moving on.

Pope didn't eventuate into anything at TE. He's a likely 'move on' guy.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The problem with Woodley is he is a natural 4-3 DE who is forced to play 3-4 OLB. Clearly his body isn't made for that because he keeps getting the same leg related injuries. We need to quit forcing square pegs into round holes and design our team to execute what the players we have are best at.

The league is becoming a speed game and at 265lbs Woodley isn't a speed player. He is a power pass rusher

Yeah right...I am sure this is exactly why he has struggled with injuries....