Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we blaming Haley too much?

Legend

User Info Menu

Are we blaming Haley too much?

Look at the execution during this losing streak.

Dropped passes, WIDE OPEN receivers missed, idiot ints.

You blame the dink and dunk?

Throw the pass accurately catch the ball and we are on WALK into the playoffs, a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY.

Ben was ON FIRE early pre-injury in this offense.

We might dink and dunk but we are taking JUST AS MANY SHOTS as ever.

How is it Haleys fault if the long ball aint connecting?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am not sure Cap. It seems to me the flow of the offense was off to much. Trying to run to much at the wrong time hurt us. Not running when we should. Taking a shot down the field at the wrong time. Taking a sack instead of throwing the ball away. Way to many drops or fumbles. Just out of sync it seemed to me. Maybe the coach and QB over thinking it to much after the problems? Could also just be a rough patch for players and coach in the first year of a "new" system. We will see soon enough if Haley stays around. Then next year see how the team gels and his system works.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep, blame Haley to much and BA was to much to blame for the offensive woes. Offensive success generally starts with the QB and works it's way down the list. The offense will continue to be an inconsistent unit as long as Ben is the QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Haley isn't the problem, out of the eight games we lossed 5 were decided by 3 points, we were in position to win those games. I think it's more on the players making mistakes at a time that kill drives combined with dumb penalties. Earlier in the year we were having success in his system especially in that four game stretch where we won all four. It's tough to get continuity when your shuffling your O-line every other week, injuries to starters and expect the same level of play with subs who didn't have enough playing time.
    Firing Haley wouldn't make this team better IMHO, they would be back to square one with a new O.C. a different system to learn. People who want Haley gone though might get their wish, skuttlebut has the Cardinals intersted in him as the Wiz might get canned.
    I tought our offense would be really good this season, but injuries to our line and the dropped passes and penalties hurt us. The other issue was our inability to run with success when we wanted to, the line changes and 3 back system didn't help either.
    I think we should retain Haley if he isn't pursued by another team, it's not that easy to learn another system and bringing in new players in as well. Wallace and Mendy are probably gone so we have to replace them, it's going to take time to fix all our issues and at the same time replace players in the process.
    There is no magic formula that suddenly will reverse the outcome of this season, we have to accept this team is in transition, hope we have a good draft and build a champion caliber football team.
    Finally this new era of football sucks with Goodell at the helm, not practicing in pads in rediculous, no wonder we have so many injuries at game time. These rules are killing the game, along with the safety rules that are making it even worse with defensive players going for the knees now to avoid penalties and fines.

The game is being ruined systematically, with all these rules that hurt the game. It's all about the NFL worried about lawsuits and greed by both parties.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm pissed, for the outcome of our 2012 season, it could of been so much better!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Look at the execution during this losing streak.

Dropped passes, WIDE OPEN receivers missed, idiot ints.

You blame the dink and dunk?

Throw the pass accurately catch the ball and we are on WALK into the playoffs, a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY.

Ben was ON FIRE early pre-injury in this offense.

We might dink and dunk but we are taking JUST AS MANY SHOTS as ever.

How is it Haleys fault if the long ball aint connecting?
    It isn't Haley, it is the same thing that was an albatross around Arians' neck...a woefully inadequate Offensive Line. Can't generate any push, DeCastro showing rust of not playing for almost a year and still learning, Foster getting rag dolled into the backfield by Atkins, Beachum playing out of position, etc., etc. Until we get an OL that is good every play no Off Coord is going to look good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's a misconception on how this offense need to be run to be successful. Between the owner, coach and the Qb I think they all have the wrong idea. The Qb want to pass all day , while the owner and the coaches prefer to run when I think some where in between is really the answer. Its to much speed for the dink and donk and not enough threat for the running game. Also the players should take blame.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Injuries especially on the OL, and poor execution explain the failures more than anything else. Even Ben's biggest talking head detractors were praising him as "elite" when this O was hitting on all cylinders pre-injuries, even talking MVP at that time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Injuries especially on the OL, and poor execution explain the failures more than anything else. Even Ben's biggest talking head detractors were praising him as "elite" when this O was hitting on all cylinders pre-injuries, even talking MVP at that time.
    Many want to forget that. It all is on the OL. It dictates what can, or better yet can't be done execution wise. The interior of the OL needs to be dominant (still weak) which is why they can't not consider a player like Chance Warmack in Round 1. Starks needs to get a two year contract to stay. He was the best and most consistent player on the OL this season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Do you want to hear the worrisome thought first or the optimistic?

Optimistic: Ben's rib injury changed his style of play and he started thinking more than reacting to what he was seeing. He was playing not to get injured. Ben will be Ben next season after having some time to heal and work with the WRs on honing the new offense.

Worrisome: Ben's first half success was purely a matter of defenses not knowing what Pittsburgh's version of Haley's offense was about. By the time the second half of the season rolled around, there was enough tape to plan a defensive strategy. Haley has taken away Ben being Ben, which is when he is most successful. Ben cannot or refuses to change his style of play, resulting in poor execution of the new offense.

I am leaning toward insufficient evidence on either side. The lack of at least an average run game has really hurt this team. Play-action doesn't work, short yardage doesn't work. Ben not being 100% only magnified a very bad situation on offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Turnovers are this offenses problem. I can put a little on the injuries but, the game plans I thought took care of the injury bug with Ben having his opportunities to get rid of the ball quickly. Ben did hold on to the ball too long at times, not like years gone bye. Ben throwing interceptions, interceptions for touchdowns doesn't help. Ben isn't as accurate either at times. I put a lot of the losses on Ben, Tomlin not sticking with a runningback. I also put blame upon whomever gave Colon such a big contract and that we are stuck with his sorry butt. Mr. Hold, Mr. False Start, Mr. Revolving Door, MR. IR is everything Willie is about. He can fool some of you at times with a good block or one or two good games a season but this guy is the root to all evil.
    As soon as Tomlin seen Foster can't handle the left side at guard, they should have placed Legursky at center, Pouncey at RG and Foster back at LF. Even with all that, if Ben wouldn't have thrown the picks the above mentioned wouldn't have mattered.
    Also take what you can from the poorly coached team with AB always screwing up with unsportsman calls, fumbles, running out of bounds when he shouldn't. That's all from being poorly coached or not respecting the coach or team as he should.
    Kiesel, I'm glad he got the flag. I hate seeing that crap and someone should have known or told him his day was coming with the stupid pose he does after a sack. Again, poorly coached.
    Tomlin with his missed 53 yard fieldgoal mixed in wth his poor clock management, his red flag stupidity over the years and this teams lousy way of drafting players and developing players and all the big money players, old players, injured and not producing players.

I give this franchise another 19 to 25 seasons before we win another super bowl.. The Rooneys will stick with Tomlin until they can't take no more of him and that will be another 15 seasons. Tomlin inability to draft, develope players will kill it for whom ever will take his place. I believe in the past I said this team will go 6-10 or 8-8 so, it's not Monday morning frustrations, I lost all respect for Tomlin two season ago when I realized he was more a figure head than a coach.
    He doesn't have smarts to take away what other teams do well. He doesn't put the opponents against the wall.

I'm glad we loss to the Bengals, I couldn't stand to see this team get slapped around in the playoffs.