Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Tomlin's Job Safe?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. If you're not: 1. You don't get to decide what a "real" fan is to begin with 2. I can't imagine someone that claims to be a fan of a team hoping for them to lose regardless of the circumstances. You play the game to win. Besides, the draft, as has been proven time and time again, is for the most part a crap shoot. Other than 1, 2, or 32 draft position doesn't necessarily equate to anything anyway.
    Real Fan = Me

Unreal Fan = Everyone Else

Thanks for setting him straight and letting him know I get to decide these types of things

Agree with you on the draft too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Real Fan = Me

Unreal Fan = Everyone Else

Thanks for setting him straight and letting him know I get to decide these types of things

Agree with you on the draft too.
    Glad I could help out.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Rookie

User Info Menu

Have been a Steelers fan for almost 40 years. I live in New England, so I get the Pats every week during the season. Talent level aside, I'm always struck at how prepared and disciplined the Patriots are. I think that starts with Belichick. If you don't do your job, if you don't play 100% and if you're not a smart player, he'll sit you or he'll cut you. We don't have that with Tomlin. Sure, he sat Mendy after all those fumbles, but it was pretty obvious what needed to be done there. Plus, Mendy is going to be a free agent and most likely wouldn't have come back anyway, so what's the harm in sitting him? For the players, there is no fear of reprisal. I watched most of the Steelers games this year and saw the same thing every game - dumb penalties, guys not knowing the game situation, guys not giving 100%. In consecutive weeks, last week and this week, Mike Wallace had a chance to make a defensive play after an interception. Both times he didn't. Last week he stood there while the Dallas DB got up off the ground and ran to the Steelers one. You think he might be worried about getting hurt with free agency looming? These guys are selfish self-promoters who seemingly do what they want without worrying about the reprecussions.

I am not a Tomlin fan and have never thought he was a great coach. His clock management is poor, his game-time decisions are weak and remember, he had a top 5 defense in Minnesota. Between him and LeBeau, they can't figure out ways to get more consistent pressure on the QB? Yesterday's pass rush was an aberration. In most games, the opposing QB had all day to throw. While our DBs may be better, they are still pretty pedestrian, but our defense is predicated on getting pressure. If we're not going to get pressure, then we need to move from cover DBs to more physical, shut-down type of guys. Tomlin doesn't have control of this team and I don't care if he's signed through 2016, he needs to go. You go for a 54 yard field goal instead of trying to pin the Bengals deep? You let AJ Green be single-covered and get off the line without a bump in the most important game of the year? These are types of mistakes great coaches don't make. I can't stand Belichick, but he gets his team ready to play and they always know the rules. They play smart and rarely beat themselves. The Steelers, through penalties, lapses in thinking and less than 100% effort, often beat themselves.

If you lose 5 games by 3 points, as they did this year, that's where coaching makes a difference. As a coach, you are paid to put your team in a position to win. Players make plays, but coaches instill a culture and if players sense there's not consequences, they'll exploit it. Great coaches are in control 100% of the time. Tomlin is not. Yes, he's done well in the regular season and has won a Super Bowl. But if winning a Super Bowl was the sign of a great coach, then George Seifert, Barry Switzer and Brian Billick would still have jobs. Tomlin must go.

Legend

User Info Menu

You play the game to win.
    Thanks Herm

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Thanks Herm
    I thought of that when I wrote it lol. I just can't imagine being a fan of a team and thinking "I really hope we lose this next game so we can pick 16th instead of 18th in the draft" (or something similar). Maybe, just maybe, if we had a 4-11 season going and if we lost the last game we would get the 1st pick...and there was a sure fire no.1 draft choice that we could get that we really needed...I might think in the back of my head "Well...maybe it would be better if we lost" but it still wouldn't sit well with me for the team to come out with the intention of losing or not playing to its potential.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought of that when I wrote it lol. I just can't imagine being a fan of a team and thinking "I really hope we lose this next game so we can pick 16th instead of 18th in the draft" (or something similar). Maybe, just maybe, if we had a 4-11 season going and if we lost the last game we would get the 1st pick...and there was a sure fire no.1 draft choice that we could get that we really needed...I might think in the back of my head "Well...maybe it would be better if we lost" but it still wouldn't sit well with me for the team to come out with the intention of losing or not playing to its potential.
    I agree "You play to win the game"

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rider500 View Post
    I wouldn't count on it. Mr. Cliche has not shown his ability to control egos. Benching players has barely worked. There is no respect on this team. This is aproblem that has been building over the past two or three years. No sports team ever had stellar integrity, but the Steelers seemed to keep up that vanguard for years. One can tell the team that plays hard and loses with dignity v. the ones that just lose out of lack of discipline.
    On the "young" money.