Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Tomlin's Job Safe?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Tomlin's Job Safe?

Tomlin's got a good track record. And the Rooney's don't make overreactions. But so much is in complete disarray. And Tomlin doesn't seem to have control of anything.

We've got guys all over the field half arsing it. ST is a wreck. The O is a wreck. Our punter is a wreck. Our decision making is a wreck. Our D has played good, but it has fundamental problems.

The players seem to have quit on him. I feel silly asking this question, but seeing how he's completely lost this team, you've gotta wonder where we go from here.

The offseason should be interesting.

Legend

User Info Menu

They'll never fire Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's 100% Safe for Now!!

but if this becomes a trend it's not ... another losing season and the lease will be shortened.
    Really starting to question his decision making here after trying that 53 yard FG. Optimism doesn't win football games
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Really starting to question his decision making here after trying that 53 yard FG. Optimism doesn't win football games
    1000% agree. I'll never understand that decision.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tomlin will be here for a long time, the Rooney's don't make knee jerk decisions just for one bad season.
    The players made their bed in Oakland, Tenn, Cleveland, San Diego. Win just one of those game and we are still playing next week for a shot in the playoffs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Decison-making late in the game was awful. The outcome and the way it ended proves this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Missing the playoffs twice in his 7 year tenure with four of those years 12 win seasons. Yes his job is safe... however underperforming for two years straight off a big contract ala Troy, Wooodley , Colon etc some of the players might not be.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin has done a poor job this season. That said, he's not in any trouble of being fired. He's young...hopefully he can regroup, learn the lessons he needs to learn, and make some adjustments. I expect him to do better next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Tomlin's always been on a short leash. His coordinators were forced on him early on. Then it seems Rooney is the one that wants to get rid of BA and replace with Haley.

What's next? Does he have to check in with Rooney before he can challenge a play or kick a FG?

I do think this is a little different than Cowher and Noll. They didn't have teams fall apart after some success while they were still early in their Steeers career.

Tomlin seems to have some fundamental problems. He's been successful in spite of some of the issues. But he can't seem to figure out how to fix his short comings. The OLine is a weakness year in and year out. ST is a weakness year in and year out. Our DBs have been a weakness year in and year out until this season.

And now we're getting to the point of having Tomlin guys on the roster and these guys don't look like they're 100% committed - Wally, Mendy, Woodley, etc.

And quite possibly the biggest question is has Tomlin helped Ben maximize his development as a QB? Ben had already won a SuperBowl before Tomlin. Has Tomlin helped him get better?

We're dealing with a different Rooney now. And maybe he'll be more likely to make a change that his Dad wouldn't have. Is it possible he feels an urgency to take advantage of Ben's time in Pittsburgh? Maybe the old man being in Ireland is a bigger problem than any of us know?

We have all of these good players. We have good coaches. Good individuals. But the entire body is a bit of a mess right now. There's so much wrong, no decision this offseason would really surprise me.

Look how long we had to wait for Ben. We don't want to waste the opportunity of having him as our QB.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I wouldn't count on it. Mr. Cliche has not shown his ability to control egos. Benching players has barely worked. There is no respect on this team. This is aproblem that has been building over the past two or three years. No sports team ever had stellar integrity, but the Steelers seemed to keep up that vanguard for years. One can tell the team that plays hard and loses with dignity v. the ones that just lose out of lack of discipline.