Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Steeler Defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Understanding Steeler Defense

Can someone please tell me why most of the time we allow catches and then tackle?
    Is it because they are playing zone prevent or are the players just bad?

I mean, if we are on there ass\man to man coverage we have a play at the ball and possible interception. correct?

Why are we not blitzing like 8 out of 10 times if we are week in backfield. If we give any QB time
    we get burned and our Defense is left on the field....

Frustrated watching this!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Join the line.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Can someone please tell me why most of the time we allow catches and then tackle?
    Is it because they are playing zone prevent or are the players just bad?

I mean, if we are on there ass\man to man coverage we have a play at the ball and possible interception. correct?

Why are we not blitzing like 8 out of 10 times if we are week in backfield. If we give any QB time
    we get burned and our Defense is left on the field....

Frustrated watching this!!!!
    Because that system works. The Steelers don't get blown out. We lose when we give up big plays and when we turn the ball over.

The defense generally doesn't give up big plays.

The losses have resulted from giving up big plays on both offense and special teams and copious turnovers on both offense and special teams...

Backup

User Info Menu

Today in my local paper there was a brief article in the NFL section, they were quoting K Lewis. He has the the most deflected balls in the league 23. He points out that they reason he does not pick the ball is that he has to make a choice. Tackle the receiver or go for the ball, if he goes for ball and misses ball and it is caught good chance it is a TD. Now this is not news to anyone who plays the game. But, it makes you think these guys are playing a game at a speed you can't feel until you've been there. He, they must make this decision in a micro second. Hit or miss on the ball and it could taken to the house. I am sure many of Steeler cover guys are thinking if they catch and I tackle then we can possibly get them on the next play. All this during the snap of a ball and play that last between 3 to 5 seconds. Tough stuff

Legend

User Info Menu

It's about being conservative on the backend and not giving up big plays. And making QBs make mistakes with pressure. The problem is we can't generate pressure.

There's quite a few plays this season where opposing QBs have forever and still can't find anyone open. We're playing pretty great on the backend. Our front 7 can't do anything and that's where the problem lies.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yup, force the QB to make a quick decision and hopefully force him into making a mistake without giving up the long play.
    Thats why a QB like Brady can spread our D out and dink and dunk dowwn the field.
    One thing I noticed a lot this year is certain players on defense seem to be tipping their hands on whether or not they are blitzing.
    (Foote does this a lot)

A lot of this is timing and I think opposing offenses are constantly changing up their snap counts.

Legend

User Info Menu

This type of defense shortens the game and almost ensures that the Steelers have a chance to win. The Steelers want the other team to have to take their time to move the ball down the field using clock. The Steeler offense isn't a juggernaut, so shortening the game and giving Ben a chance is a good recipe for success. As long as the Steeler offense keeps turnovers, penalties and three and outs to a minimum the defense will keep the Steelers in the game.

Secondly, the longer the drive, the greater chance that the offense will make a mistake like a penalty, turnover, dropped catch, a sack, etc. and the Steelers will force a punt.

it's hard to watch because it looks like the defense is getting carved up and they are, but typically at the end of the day if the offense can score 24 points the Steelers will win. There have been some anomalies to this principle this year, but all in all the system works, it's just difficult to watch.

Just my take on the defense...

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love how this system has been tops in the leagues EVERY YEAR including this year and people complain about it.

This year the Steelers are at the top of the league w/out the personnel being the best its been.

Talk about Mind Boggling!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I love how this system has been tops in the leagues EVERY YEAR including this year and people complain about it.

This year the Steelers are at the top of the league w/out the personnel being the best its been.

Talk about Mind Boggling!!
    Woopdeedoo, and whats our record?
    Whats mind boggling is the lack of turnovers these paper champions have generated this year.
    Just sayin

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's about being conservative on the backend and not giving up big plays. And making QBs make mistakes with pressure. The problem is we can't generate pressure.

There's quite a few plays this season where opposing QBs have forever and still can't find anyone open. We're playing pretty great on the backend. Our front 7 can't do anything and that's where the problem lies.
    Agre the pass rush is the problem. But why wouldn't it be? We all know what is going to happen. The DL's first read is to stop the run and control the blockers to keep the LBs "clean". Then we will typically rush either Harrsion or Woodley but rarely both at the same time. There fore the offense has 5 OL and usually one other blocker to deal with 4 maybe 5 rushers at most. Since the DL's first read is play the run and then go after the passer you essentially give the QB 2-3 seconds before the DL commits to going after the QB and they usually have one or two men on them. Plus, since we have bulked up our DEs to play in LeBeau's stop the run first scheme they are bullrushers versus being able to use a speed rush to turn the corner. What do we struggle against most bullrushes or speed rushes. It is the latter.

It is essentially the same thing every play, every game. Guess what? We all see it and so does the league and they have all adjusted for it because they know 90% of the time it will be Harrison or Woodley with a very rare (far too rare IMO) inside blitz. They also know they can lower the percentage of both OLBs by leaking a RB into the flat and forcing the OLB to cover them. Therefore the offense over matches our rush with 5 or 6 blocking 3 or 4. The defense does good to put up meaningless rankings stats but they are no loonger a big play defense like they use to be.

The fact is we are getting the lowest sack totals and INT totals in decades but we do the same thing week after week.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"