Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Aren't Defensive Players Held to the Same "Standard"?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why Aren't Defensive Players Held to the Same "Standard"?

This season, Tomlin benched Mendenhall and "demoted" Wallace due to performance issues, moves I applaud. Why does he never do the same kind of thing with defensive players?

For instance, why is Casey Hampton still the main man at NT? It's been a long time since the play of one of our DLinemen been as underwhelming as Fatty's has been this season. When McLendon is in, he makes plays. So... let's mostly keep McLendon on the bench and keep the Blob in the game? How does that make sense?

And what has big LaMarr Dudley been doing all season long? I don't know if Worilds would do any better, but I sure don't think he could do any worse.

With both Hampton and Woodley, it's not like they just had a bad game or two--it's been the whole season. So why doesn't Tomlin sit their hineys on the bench like he does with underperforming offensive players? Is he afraid he might light a fire under some defensive players? Is he afraid of King LeBeau? Is there some kind of edict that says if you're paying defensive players big money, they have to play whether they deserve to or not? What's the deal?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've watched McLendon A LOT this season, and the reason he doesn't get more snaps is because of gap integrity. He shoots the gap way too much. and he's out of position because he picks sides. That's why he makes plays. But it's also why there are holes that allow big gains on the ground. You don't get that with Hampton in there.

Starter

User Info Menu

I would imagine the main reason is that the drop off in performance is much greater when you bench Hampton and Woodley vs. Mendenhall and Wallace. Hampton's performance is declining due to age, but he's still a force. Not sure our younger D-lineman have the same presence on a consistent basis even if they have the occasional big play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I've watched McLendon A LOT this season, and the reason he doesn't get more snaps is because of gap integrity. He shoots the gap way too much. and he's out of position because he picks sides. That's why he makes plays. But it's also why there are holes that allow big gains on the ground. You don't get that with Hampton in there.
    I agree with this. McClendon seems to get single blocks and can't hold a gap. He does seem to make more plays. And Hampton isn't what he used to be. I do think Hampton's play has gotten better over the course of the season.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I agree with this. McClendon seems to get single blocks and can't hold a gap. He does seem to make more plays. And Hampton isn't what he used to be. I do think Hampton's play has gotten better over the course of the season.
    Perhaps the Steelers will adjust the scheme to a one gap 3-4, to take advantage of guys like McClendon and Hood who might be better one-gap defenders...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Perhaps the Steelers will adjust the scheme to a one gap 3-4, to take advantage of guys like McClendon and Hood who might be better one-gap defenders...
    Excellent point...why not adjust the scheme NOW to fit the players we have who can actually MAKE PLAYS?

Legend

User Info Menu

I like this idea. I do think we've gotta adjust up front.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Excellent point...why not adjust the scheme NOW to fit the players we have who can actually MAKE PLAYS?
    Because a wholesale change like that something a desperate team does in the middle of the season...not a team in contention for a playoff spot...

That may be something they choose to do in the offseason, especially if LeBeau retires...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because you can't change an entire defense for two players. Mclendon is not a great player regardless of what many people think. Do you change for him and hood and sacrafice the style of play for our line backers and Cam? Seems silly to change everything for 2 players and hurt the other 5

Legend

User Info Menu

Because a wholesale change like that something a desperate team does in the middle of the season...not a team in contention for a playoff spot...

That may be something they choose to do in the offseason, especially if LeBeau retires...
    I don't understand this...wouldn't a team in contention for a playoff spot be more "desperate" than a team that has been eliminated from contention? If any team ought to be "desperate," shouldn't it be a team that is in contention, but on the brink of elimination?

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Because you can't change an entire defense for two players. Mclendon is not a great player regardless of what many people think. Do you change for him and hood and sacrafice the style of play for our line backers and Cam? Seems silly to change everything for 2 players and hurt the other 5

Exactly how would a one-gap 3-4 "hurt" the other 5 (other than Fat Casey, who currently doesn't do anything but take up space)? How great has the "style of play" of our "LBs and Cam" been this season under the present scheme? I know we have a #1 ranking for yards allowed, but we've been dreadful at getting pressure on the QB, creating sacks and forcing turnovers--and that has "hurt" us big time, IMO... especially with our secondary banged up.

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis

Of course not. He can barely move. You could park a 400-pound sack of potatoes at his position, and it would basically accomplish what Casey does.

And in spite of what you said, I can't remember any huge difference in running yards allowed when McLendon is subbed in for Hampton.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 12-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.