Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Aren't Defensive Players Held to the Same "Standard"?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Because the Steelers aren't desperate at this point. The current defensive scheme has helped to put the team in contention for a playoff spot. The defense can't control how often our offense puts the ball on the ground or gives up an INT....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    This season, Tomlin benched Mendenhall and "demoted" Wallace due to performance issues, moves I applaud. Why does he never do the same kind of thing with defensive players?

For instance, why is Casey Hampton still the main man at NT? It's been a long time since the play of one of our DLinemen been as underwhelming as Fatty's has been this season. When McLendon is in, he makes plays. So... let's mostly keep McLendon on the bench and keep the Blob in the game? How does that make sense?

And what has big LaMarr Dudley been doing all season long? I don't know if Worilds would do any better, but I sure don't think he could do any worse.

With both Hampton and Woodley, it's not like they just had a bad game or two--it's been the whole season. So why doesn't Tomlin sit their hineys on the bench like he does with underperforming offensive players? Is he afraid he might light a fire under some defensive players? Is he afraid of King LeBeau? Is there some kind of edict that says if you're paying defensive players big money, they have to play whether they deserve to or not? What's the deal?
    Mendenhall's benching and Wallace's demotion had more to do with attitude than performance. Woodley and Hampton have given 100% effort on every snap they are in the game. They may not have had as good a year as we would have liked, but you can't fault them for lack of effort.

Mike Wallace's half hearted effort to tackle the CB that picked Ben is a perfect example, had he not stood there waiting for someone else to make the tackle the ball would have been somewhere near the 40 and the defense would have at least had a chance, instead, the ball is at the one and the Cowboys kicked an extra point to win the game.

Mendenhall's attitude is his biggest problem, it appears he thinks he's privileged in some manner that others aren't.

Woodley and Hampton never behave in this fashion.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Good point about Mendy's and Wally's poor attitudes. No doubt that was a big part of the reason for them getting benched.

Hampton and Woodley might be giving 100% on the field (I'm not convinced of that, especially in Woodley's case), but do they believe in giving 100% in offseason conditioning? Hampton is notorious for coming to camp out of shape, and even coach Butler remarked that Woodley came in out of shape this year. If you don't care enough to show up in proper condition, seems to me your attitude isn't what it should be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Good point about Mendy's and Wally's poor attitudes. No doubt that was a big part of the reason for them getting benched.

Hampton and Woodley might be giving 100% on the field (I'm not convinced of that, especially in Woodley's case), but do they believe in giving 100% in offseason conditioning? Hampton is notorious for coming to camp out of shape, and even coach Butler remarked that Woodley came in out of shape this year. If you don't care enough to show up in proper condition, seems to me your attitude isn't what it should be.
    As far as Hampton goes, when he was at the top of his game no one cared what he did in the off season. Now that he's long in the tooth it shows a bit more when you roll into camp out of shape. Regardless, Hampton gives you what he has every snap during the season. He's been a good Steeler and I'll miss having the big ol fatty around, he's probably playing his last snaps of his career over the next two weekends and then any playoff games should the Steelers make it to the playoffs.

Woodley gives the effort, but I think he's bulked up a bot too much and he's been hampered with nagging injuries. Even if you think he isn't giving 100%, he's nothing like Mendenhall and Wallace.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

LaMarr Woodley 2012 Season to Date
    11 games
    COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
    31 23 8 4.0 1 1 0 1 11 11 11 0 1 3 4 0

Sterling production for a player in the prime of his career who just last year signed a 6 year, $61.5 million contract.

Casey Hampton 2012 Season to Date
    14 games
    COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
    21 9 12 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 8 0

I realize a NT in our system isn't going to rack up huge numbers, but c'mon...