Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison on Mike and Mike

Legend

User Info Menu

James Harrison on Mike and Mike

Just heard a bit of James Harrison this morning and they asked him how he's adjusted to the new NFL rules/fines. His answer was he's lowering his target and aiming at guys knees so he doesn't hit them helmet to helmet and get fined.

Wow is he honest to a fault sometimes. I appreciate people like that. He said it so matter of fact. He didn't have to think about it. He just says he's aiming for knees.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep - he's brutally honest. And what else can he do really? The guy on offense goes low, all you can do is target lower and hope your helmets don't accidentally touch each other because if they do, it's the defender's fault by default.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's his way of putting it back onto the thinkers in the NFL. He's just complying with their goals. Not his fault that it ruins careers.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, always a player that kept it real and always spoke his mind about Nfl. One of my favorite steeler linebackers ever.

Administrator

User Info Menu

It's the truth. The NFL is forcing defenders to do this.

It's also the truth that we'll continue to see many more knee injuries because of it. In the future, you will probably see significant increase is knee replacements, numerous corrective surgeries, players walking with a cane and possibly wheel chair bound because of this.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This whole "wrapping up high" garbage started in the late 90s. They were teaching young kids to tackle up high (as a safety precaution) to avoid injuring your own teammates in practice.
    TEXTBOOK: aim for the chest, practically meet chest to chest, grab cloth (in the back of the jersey), roll ur hips through and drive!!
    PLEASE!! that worked great on tackling dummies but when you have a moving target you were making helmet to helmet contact. There is no aiming point.

I'm sorry but I never did it...i see legs and i'm going for them.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    This whole "wrapping up high" garbage started in the late 90s. They were teaching young kids to tackle up high (as a safety precaution) to avoid injuring your own teammates in practice.
    TEXTBOOK: aim for the chest, practically meet chest to chest, grab cloth (in the back of the jersey), roll ur hips through and drive!!
    PLEASE!! that worked great on tackling dummies but when you have a moving target you were making helmet to helmet contact. There is no aiming point.

I'm sorry but I never did it...i see legs and i'm going for them.
    I always remember hearing look at what you're tackling so you don't hurt yourself. I always hated colliding helmets. I've never played at an NFL level, but it was hard as a kid to know where you were going to hit a moving target. So it must be a million times harder to know at the pro level.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He knew what he was doing, by saying he goes for the knees. How knows it made people cringe. If he wanted to be more political correct, he would have said, "I hit low" instead of "I hit the knees." That's his way of sticking it back to the NFL powers that be, who know almost every player would prefer a hit high than a hit to the knees. Even if you see stars, your career is likely not over. Get blasted in the knees and you could be done for, for often times the season. I just love the guy. Did you see him rip the ball out last game? He is a beast. I just love him. Lloyd and Harrison are two of my favorite Steelers of all time. Even in front of Lambert.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I always remember hearing look at what you're tackling so you don't hurt yourself. I always hated colliding helmets. I've never played at an NFL level, but it was hard as a kid to know where you were going to hit a moving target. So it must be a million times harder to know at the pro level.
    I don't care what level you're at...you're going to go after any body part you have a shot at.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    He knew what he was doing, by saying he goes for the knees. How knows it made people cringe. If he wanted to be more political correct, he would have said, "I hit low" instead of "I hit the knees." That's his way of sticking it back to the NFL powers that be, who know almost every player would prefer a hit high than a hit to the knees. Even if you see stars, your career is likely not over. Get blasted in the knees and you could be done for, for often times the season. I just love the guy. Did you see him rip the ball out last game? He is a beast. I just love him. Lloyd and Harrison are two of my favorite Steelers of all time. Even in front of Lambert.
    I thought he might be saying it on purpose too. But then I thought, James just says whatever is true. I remember Farrior saying when he was in his first practices with the team, he didn't understand the D and he didn't bother faking it and just threw up his arms and told the coaches to take him out cause he didn't know what he was doing. Being calculated is hard for people that are blatantly honest.

His strip last week was fierce. But did you also notice the next 3 times he took a guy down he wrestled the ball out of the guys hands even after the tackle. He was seriously going after the ball. He looks like he's back and angry on the field.

Mike and Mike commented they were surprised how nice Harrison was. Greeny thought he would be terrified to speak to him. And was going on after the interview how decent a person James is.