Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor...Really?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor...Really?

I keep hearing that if we are to make the post-season, that having Ike Taylor back will definetley be the difference since Victorian seems like he would have a very difficult time defending the likes of Brady, Manning, and Schaub. Clearly Ike is an upgrade but is he that big of an upgrade to make a difference? I keep hearing commentators every week say that he is an elite corner and is always guarding the best reciever. Ok but what if when he is guarding those best recievers and they are always scoring on him? I remember earlier in the year it seemed like every reciever he guarded scored on him. Examples, D. Thomas, D. Heyward-Bey, S. Holmes, K. Britt, A.J. Green, Victor Cruz, etc. and he has a total of 1 int. He clearly isnt an elite shutdown corner like Revis is and I truly believe that will not be the difference of success if we make the playoffs. In my opinion, getting pressure on those elite quartberacks who dont like to be out of the pocket will be the real difference, otherwise as I said earlier our corners will make no difference in the outcomes.

Just wanted to hear thoughts on what the real difference would be if we are to make the playoffs....

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike hasn't had a great season, especially the first part of it, but I don't think that all the receivers you mentioned scored on him. He's not elite, and he's never snagged many picks, but he's still the best we have. And compared with the likes of Victorian, King, even Brown? C'mon. Even Allen and Lewis, while they've showed a lot of potential, they're not yet as dependable as Taylor. If, by some miracle, we were to make the playoffs, we'd have to have Ike back to have any kind of chance at making a run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

that's just silly talk. Do you by any chance have a brother or cousin named Lloydroid?

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board.

I don't think that Ike Taylor is elite like Revis, but few are. He had an awful game in Denver and a slow start to the season, but he played well after that. The difference between Ike and Victorian/Brown is that you can play more press and give less help/cushion. Ike is also a solid tackler, which makes a difference.

Starter

User Info Menu

Ike is the best we have and the best we've had in some time. He does a pretty solid job most of the time considering he is matched up against the No 1 WR every game. There have been some bad games in there, and when a CB has a bad game you notice - but by and large he has been a dependable player who often does not get the credit he deserves. He has taken the No 1 receiver almost completely out of the game on many occasions too.

He is not a true shut down corner, but how many of those are there in the NFL? The Steelers have tended to focus more on corners who are solid against the run and good enough to cover WR until our pass rush gets the QB. Without a pass rush, our cbs are exposed for what they and Ike is the best of the bunch so without him, there is a noticeable drop off.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

what NFL CB (besides REVIS) doesn't get beat in this day and age??
    IKE is NOT a "shutdown" corner by any mean but really who is these days??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

He is not a shutdown corner by any means but announcers regard him as an elite corner and i just dont see it and my point is that people think that having him back is a key difference when we go to the playoffs and I think he's not that type of player to make a difference. I believe that those 3 quarterbacks I named would do just as much damage on our corners whether he is in or not. Quarterbacks do not shy away from him at all. I hear people say gosh we just need Ike back for sure for the playoffs because he can make a difference in those games and I'm just saying in my opinion that's not whats going to be the difference. You have to get pressure on the qbs and have our safeties help out to save us from our corners.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We had the #1 pass defense in the NFL with him in there w/out a team that was getting pressure on the QB.
    I'd go on to say Philip Rivers and Tony Romo looked like Superstars b/c IKE wasn't in there...but overall I say our secondary has done a pretty good job for the most part this season.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Again, my point was a difference in the PLAYOFFS. We're not talking about how good our defense is against Brandon weeded, matt hasselback or mark Sanchez. We're talking about how our d is going to do in the playoffs against brady, manning, schaub. As I said before any corners we have will not make a difference against them, the difference will be the points I have made.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still don't see your point about Ike.

Whether he will single-handedly shut down an opponents offense or not, it's pretty darn important to have your best corner out there playing in the biggest games.

It seems like your point really isn't that Ike isn't as good as some say he is, but rather that you think this team isn't good enough to beat the Patriots, Broncos, or Texans.