Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ike Taylor...Really?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think the fans on here are appreciating Ike enough. You see the big dropoff with Victorian in there. Ike still has excellent speed to keep up with the fastest receivers. Steelers had the No. 1 pass defense this year, and Ike and Keenan Lewis were a big reason why. Steelers held A. J. Green to one catch the first meeting and he has been lighting up the rest of the NFL. Hopefully Allen can play well this weekend but I would be a lot more confident about this game if Ike were healthy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I don't think the fans on here are appreciating Ike enough. You see the big dropoff with Victorian in there. Ike still has excellent speed to keep up with the fastest receivers. Steelers had the No. 1 pass defense this year, and Ike and Keenan Lewis were a big reason why. Steelers held A. J. Green to one catch the first meeting and he has been lighting up the rest of the NFL. Hopefully Allen can play well this weekend but I would be a lot more confident about this game if Ike were healthy.
    I'd rather see Troy covering the top of the D vs. Green instead of wasting space at the LOS where he won't get any pressure on the QB and will just fly around missing tackles. Might as well have him doing something that actually makes a difference.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm not here saying that Ike Taylor is a scrub by any means. What I'm saying is he's not a top tier corner in the league. Would I rather have him in than Victorian? Ofcourse. But unlike other Steeler fans who just can't bring themselves to say something negative about the team, I'm going to be honest. What I'm getting at is people talk like as if having Ike Taylor in the lineup is the only way we can make a run and I'm just not buying it. Does anyone believe that if Victorian is in instead during the playoffs that those qbs would do less to our defense. People talk Ike up every year and I just don't believe hes the corner people think he is. All those players scored on him this year that I mentioned and some I mentioned are average at best. That doesn't happen with elite corners in the NFL. I'm saying having Ike in the lineup shouldn't jack up your confidence if we make the playoffs. All the recuevers in the playoffs can easily have thier way with him but as I said thats not the key. It's safety play and pressure and if that doesn't happen, we'll u know. People need to be objective and see him how he is, not what they want him to be. But for the record, he is not a scrub and I would rather have him yet but I will say again, it won't make much of a DIFFERENCE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ike is a top tier (top 15ish) CB in the NFL IMO. If he could actually catch he would be top five IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    First we have to make the playoffs.
    Secondly, Ike is as close to a solid CB that there is in today's NFL.
    I don't see your arguement being valid.

Agree with both points.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You 2 are like Ovi and Spaghetti. It took a while, but now they're besties. In good ole Hollywood Brangelina fashion, I'm dubbing those 2 "Spaghetti O's".

You guys could be "D Roid". All it takes is agreeing on 1 thing and bam - it just happens.
    Not bad, flip...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

There's more to playing corner back than intercepting passes (which we know Ike is not good at). You have to be able to tackle the catch, support in the run game and defend the best athletes in the game. Ike has routinely played good to great in pass coverage against the NFL's best WRs week in and week out. He is a very good tackler after a catch has been made and he is one of the best in run support. There are 64 starting corner backs in the NFL and Ike is easily in the top 15 and probably top 10. If the poor soul could catch a cold he'd be too expensive to keep in Pittsburgh.

Man, some of you just get on an agenda and don't see what's happening on the field. The difference in the defense with Ike on the field and Ike not on the field was astounding.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Where do you in your right mind get Ike as being a top 10 cb? And Ike does guard the best wr for each team routinely ever week but you say he guards them well? Have you watched a game this year? All the top recievers he guarded scored on him for the most part. Watch a game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    what NFL CB (besides REVIS) doesn't get beat in this day and age??
    IKE is NOT a "shutdown" corner by any mean but really who is these days??
    Ike's problem is that he tried to bill himself as some shutdown corner, when he never was. He was always campaigning for a Pro Bowl berth (which, in his prime, he was a borderline PB player). The announcers always say he shadows the opponent's best WR.

He was an above-average corner in his hey-day, who could hold his own with the elite. Nowadays, his big problem is that he can't hold his own anymore. He is Demaryus Thomas' b!tch. Fitz abused him again. They want to cite how he held AJ Green to one catch this year... which BTW, will bite us in the @ss this time around, since we know Ike didn't/couldn't shut him down at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburg2013 View Post
    Where do you in your right mind get Ike as being a top 10 cb? And Ike does guard the best wr for each team routinely ever week but you say he guards them well? Have you watched a game this year? All the top recievers he guarded scored on him for the most part. Watch a game.
    Demarius Thomas - 5 for 110 and 1TD (71 yards on a WR screen, Ike got blocked)
    Santonio Holmes 2 for 28 and 1TD
    Denarius Moore or Darius Heyward-Bey 5 for 45 and 1TD (on Ike) or 2 for 14 and 1TD (on Mundy)
    Desean Jackson - 4 for 58 yards, 0TD
    Kenny Britt - 4 for 62 yards and 1TD
    AJ Green - 1 for 8 yards, 0TD
    Josh Morgan or Santana Moss - 5 for 46, 0TD or 4 for 21, 1Td (Moss was the slot WR on the TD and covered by Keenan Lewis not Ike)
    Victor Cruz - 5 for 67 yards, 0TD
    Dwayne Bowe - 4 for 55 yards, 0TD
    Torrey Smith - 1 for 7 yards, 0TD
    Josh Gordon or Mohammed Massaquai - 4 for 60 yards, 0TD or 3 for 27 yards, 0TD
    Torrey Smith - 3 for 33 yards, 0TD

Not even sure why I did this research, anyone in their "right mind" knows that Ike is one of the best CBs in the game (just doesn't get INTs). He conceded 4 TDs (including a yard completion with 70 yards of YAC) over 12 games and meager pittance of yards (one game where the receiver was over 100 yards and it was a WR screen with 70 yards of YAC, Polamalu and Taylor were both blocked). You should turn the TV on once in awhile and watch the games.

Just from curiosity, name the 14 CBs better than Ike, I said Ike is a top 15 corner and maybe better

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 12-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

It is simply amazing how some people continue to undervalue Ike's value to this defense. You do understand that Keenan Lewis leads the league in passes defensed because the guy playing opposite him most of the season simply isn't thrown to.
    Does he have bad games? sure, every player does. but Ike has been there every week for a very long time. can't say that about any other CB on this team.