Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers blitz OR lack thereof ....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers blitz OR lack thereof ....

I went back to watch the Cowboys game and charted the number of blitz and how many was sent just out of curiosity.
    1st half
    5man rush =3
    6man rush=2
    4 or less was the rest

2nd half
    5man rush=4
    6man rush=0
    ALL out blitz=1
    There is a reason the team is not getting turnovers because DL refuse to hurry the QB and force them.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

did you see who was playing cornerback when you re-watched the game?

there is a reason we didn't blitz a lot.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    did you see who was playing cornerback when you re-watched the game?

there is a reason we didn't blitz a lot.
    Yes the same CB's that got picked apart, so it would not have hurt especially against a happy feet QB like Romo who is known for throwing int under pressure. But hey give him time to pick the D apart.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

and yet the offense still had the ball at the end of regulation and the start of overtime to win the game.

not to mention a fumbled punt after another 4th quarter hold.

Backup

User Info Menu

I have noticed that many times the defense is only rushing 3, usually on a 3 rd and long. For years it seemed like they would send more to create somebody getting open in this situation. When 3 are coming it seems all their doing is pushing up field as to not let the Qb get out of the pocket. No one of them seems to try any type of move to get a half man on the o linemen. Where is the A gap blitz, or even the outside lbs, coming hard off the edge with pressure from the inside. This was once the core of their defensive attack now they are more about covering than getting the Qb. Its weird to me that when defensively we figure out we can't sit in zone all the time and now have Cbs who are covering pretty well we no longer bring the heat. We just expect the boys in back to cover while the linemen dance with the matchup for 5 seconds.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steel10,
    Your post has validity, our front seven is having the worse sack total's in years. I would rather see the Steelers be aggressive going after the QB and not be so concerned on the back end. Our CB's are getting beat anyway without Ike,Cortez, and Lewis not playing together, if we're going to be beat might as well try and force some turnovers if we can in the process.
    If you noticed Harrison is making plays and getting better each week, while Woodley is still not healthy enough to be the impact player he was before the injuries. Then you combine the lack of push from our D-line and no wonder we have issues, their not getting off their blocks and its hurting us.
    We might get Ike back for the playoffs, and with Cortez and Lewis we should be good again in the secondary as we had the #1 pass defense before the injuries so all is not lost.

Lets just beat the Bengals, the Holidays will be that much sweeter!

Legend

User Info Menu

I always thought the reason Lebeau played corners 7+ yards off the WRs was that it was safe so we could blitz and we could leave the CB with no help over the top.

But if we're leaving our safeties deep and we aren't blitzing, we should be able to press WRs at the LOS.

Something doesn't make sense here. The pass rush and cushions typically go hand in hand.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starting to wonder if our OLB's are not 'fast' enough to speed rush anymore. They can still bull rush, no problem, but getting to the QB quickly now, seems difficult. The most effective 'blitzer' is Timmons, in Chadman's opinion, and probably because he is fast. Worilds had some success so far- and he seems quicker than Woodley.

Could it just be a lack of genuine speed on the outside that is contributing to the Steelers not getting to the QB?

Would REALLY like to see Sean Spence come back from his injury next year. His college career had him flashing through the OL with speed on so many occasions. We need that sort of disruption from the LB's.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Starting to wonder if our OLB's are not 'fast' enough to speed rush anymore. They can still bull rush, no problem, but getting to the QB quickly now, seems difficult. The most effective 'blitzer' is Timmons, in Chadman's opinion, and probably because he is fast. Worilds had some success so far- and he seems quicker than Woodley.

Could it just be a lack of genuine speed on the outside that is contributing to the Steelers not getting to the QB?

Would REALLY like to see Sean Spence come back from his injury next year. His college career had him flashing through the OL with speed on so many occasions. We need that sort of disruption from the LB's.
    I think it's the lack of push in the middle of the D. So the QBs aren't deep in the pocket where it's easier to use speed to get to them. The QB can step up into the pocket and then our OLBs have to bull rush thru huge tackles and our LBs are giving up close to 100 lbs in some cases.

I really think it's the NT and DEs not being what they once were.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    That was a devastating injury. He's going to need two years to come back from that and be close to what he was capable of being.