Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers blitz OR lack thereof ....

Legend

User Info Menu

I also rewatched the Dallas game. Let me add a little perspective; the Steelers were down to their 4 and 5 CBs in a game where the opponent was 8th in the NFL on offense. Despite this fact, the Steelers were in front and in control of this game late until the AB fumble. As I rewatched his return it was clear that had he not fumble, he had a lot of room to run and could very possibly had scored. This one play change the outcome of the game in my opinion because the defense had actually begun to slow Dallas down and forced a kick on the previous series.
    I am not saying the Steelers are a good team right now, but I disagree that they are a bad team. They are a few plays away from having a division leading record. It might happen and it might not, but we all wanted to see youth playing this season and now we are getting our wish.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think it's the lack of push in the middle of the D. So the QBs aren't deep in the pocket where it's easier to use speed to get to them. The QB can step up into the pocket and then our OLBs have to bull rush thru huge tackles and our LBs are giving up close to 100 lbs in some cases.

I really think it's the NT and DEs not being what they once were.
    The Steelers have committed to Hood & Heyward by drafting them early, so Chadman thinks we'll probably have to grit the teeth & hope they pay off. There are flashes....but would like to see more.

A dominant NT might help their cause. Hampton has been getting slowly 'worse' for a few years- not bad, just not the force he was. Having a real big, dominant, nasty NT would probably improve a lot of the Steelers ails.

Jesse Williams, anyone?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    That was a devastating injury. He's going to need two years to come back from that and be close to what he was capable of being.
    Unfortunately, Chadman agrees.

Of all the draft picks- he was the one Chadman was most excited about. He has that 'playmaker' about him that seems to be missing from the current Steeler crop.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Speaking of dominating NT's.... this guy looks a player:

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FQBE2pstPg[/URL]

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Good to see that more and more fans are seeing that the defense doesn't work anymore and DL doesn't have any answers. His defense is predicated on pressuring the QB into making mistakes and constant pressure. That isn't happening anymore but we see the same defense rolled out every week with no ingenuity which should be easy from a "genius." Something as simple as moving Harrison and Woodley around, switching sides, stacking both on the same side, anything.

I've been saying for thre seasons that the league has DL figured out. Our decreasing sack and INT totals show that the big play defense we once were is now a a pop gun because opponents know exactly what to expect. QBs are no longer uncomfortable because they see exactly what they prepare for. Time for change.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are right on..this is one of the big things that is wrong with our defensive play calling..

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I also rewatched the Dallas game. Let me add a little perspective; the Steelers were down to their 4 and 5 CBs in a game where the opponent was 8th in the NFL on offense. Despite this fact, the Steelers were in front and in control of this game late until the AB fumble. As I rewatched his return it was clear that had he not fumble, he had a lot of room to run and could very possibly had scored. This one play change the outcome of the game in my opinion because the defense had actually begun to slow Dallas down and forced a kick on the previous series.
    Of course, this is ignored because it doesn't fit into the anti-LeBeau agenda...

Backup

User Info Menu

Hey Slap, I am not anti DL. I just am wondering why the dynamics of the defense as seemed to change. Some say age, some say injuries which I am sure is part of it. But to me it seems the scheme is not the same as it once was. I wonder why?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    Hey Slap, I am not anti DL. I just am wondering why the dynamics of the defense as seemed to change. Some say age, some say injuries which I am sure is part of it. But to me it seems the scheme is not the same as it once was. I wonder why?
    People have been complaining about the "LeBeau cushion" for years on this very board...for the last two years, our top two pass rushers have been less than 100% healthy, not to mention Polamalu this season, but our DBs have upgraded in coverage for the most part...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lebeau isn't the problem with our D, and never was. Actually he is doing a tremendous job. Before the injury to Ike Taylor, Lewis and Cortez we had the #1 pass defense in the entire NFL.
    Just think how good they would be with some good D-linemen, and Woodley@ 100 percent. Coaching takes you so far, you have to have the players.
    Sorry, Heyward and Hood should be playing better for being #1 picks so we have to live with what we have.
    If we could get Woodley back to where he was before his injuries we would be in good shape, those nagging injuries are hurting his play. Silverback on the other hand is making plays and getting better, we just don't have enough Silverbacks in our front seven.

However this winds up, I'm proud to be a Steeler fan and know they will give it their all win or lose. I will say this, if the Steelers win their next two and get healthy for the playoffs no team will want to play us.

GO PITTSBURGH!