Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Gruden Insights...Smart Guy

Legend

User Info Menu

Jon Gruden Insights...Smart Guy

Heard Gruden on the radio today. Very interesting thought he had on why we are seeing so many injuries especially to OL. Bottoline Line Up Front: He thinks Power football is dying and will be gone soon. Two reasons he cited:

1. The talent pool in college are mostly playing spread football on offense and the players aren't being developed to play a power style of football. Therefore they can't do it in the NFL.

2. The new CBA prohibits contact in practice therefore teams can't practice a power style of football which results in more linemen getting hurt in games, poor tackling, etc.

Very interesting insights. He thinks the spread will become more and more the norm in the NFL and what we have seen in the past with power running games is becoming a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-19-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Meanwhile the Steelers will continue to try to power run and only run between the tackles after lining up as many players as possible in the box, forcing the entire defense into the box.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Meanwhile the Steelers will continue to try to power run and only run between the tackles after lining up as many players as possible in the box, forcing the entire defense into the box.
    I don't understand that either when we have not had great Guard play in three years. Need more runs to the edge and sweeps.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers just don't even know what they are. They try to power rush, and it fails. They do all these bubble screens with mixed success, often with not too much. Gruden should be the coach in Pgh next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    The Steelers just don't even know what they are. They try to power rush, and it fails. They do all these bubble screens with mixed success, often with not too much. Gruden should be the coach in Pgh next year.
    Sorry...we already have a good coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't understand that either when we have not had great Guard play in three years. Need more runs to the edge and sweeps.
    Tomlins saving the outside runs in his pocket for use at a later time

Backup

User Info Menu

I thought he would have mentioned Marcus Gilbert at some point in his injury theory....

How about Gruden as the offensive coordinator...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Tomlin was hired as the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001, In 2002 and 2005, the Buccaneers led the NFL in total defense (fewest yards allowed per game)—during Tomlin's tenure, the defense never ranked worse than sixth overall. When the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in January 2003, the team recorded five interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns.

With Tomlin, Grudens Bucs have one of the best secondary play in history, featuring no-name corners. Gruden wins the SB on the strength of a record set for SB interceptions.

1st season Post Tomlin Gruden has the worst record in his career as a coach. In three post Tomlin seasons he would not win a single playoff game.

It is funny how you credit BC for Tomlins success years after BC is gone but you want Gruden who won 1 SB in his first year at Tampa with a Dungy built team (with Tomlin leading the secondary) and turned it into a loser.

What possible cred does Gruden have based on your very same criticisms of Tomlin?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

People think Gruden is this great offensive mind who can develop a QB for you on the basis of watching those pre-draft shows of him watching tape with new incoming rookie QB's. But as a coach, he never developed a single young QB worth a crap. His only success was with veteran retread QB's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sorry...we already have a good coach.
    Good coaches don't consistently loose to such bad teams. They just don't. This one does. Something is wrong. Where there is smoke, there is fire.